Canberra U/C colours?

Devilfish

I'm building the Airfix Canberra PR9 and I have a question about the U/C. The instructions claim the wells, legs and hubs are all white, but from what I remember of my time at Wyton, most Canberras had silver hubs. I can't say I ever looked that closely at the PR9, so I'm wondering about the rest too.  Photos seem to bear out that the legs are white, but what about the front mudguards etc?

Hi Devilfish, I spent some time on 231 OCU &100 Sqn, wheel hubs where a dull aluminium,  wheel wells were white, most legs as well, but I did see the occasional black or silver one....

Not too sure about nose wheel mudguards, they were light in colour,  either dull aluminium again or light grey....

Hope this helps

DaveH

The wheels were in aluminium finish.

The undercarriage bays were more complex across the various types, but the PR.9s I saw in Hemp had a dirty satin white finish for the mainwheel bays and legs, with light grey being used for the nose leg and mudguards.

Some handy shots here,

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56270329%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=canberra pr.9

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

Fantastic. Thanks for the replies. Very helpful indeed.

sAlso take a look around my site @Devilfish you may find some useful info? I have several albums Wheels, seats, cockpit, airframe and more! AS Jame's and others have said, the main wheel hubs and nose wheel hubs will have had Aluminium, the main undercarriage legs and bays were gloss white as were the nose leg, the nose wheel leg could vary between white, mid grey, or black depending on time frame and the company that serviced them?  Canberra SIG

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very useful John, thank you for that link. It pointed out another omission of the Airfix kit. The strengthening plate on the rear.  I've added that now, but it would have been far easier to do, had I known about it before I fitted the wings, lol

The NLG outer cylinder (as opposed the the inner cylinder and trailing arm with the axles) doesn’t look white to me, less dirty perhaps but not a different colour. I see no reason, though still possible, why an overhaul shop like Dowty would release a LG with the cylinder and trailing arm in totally different colours, different shades perhaps but not in grey and white. 

Edited by Rickoshea52

The complete leg assembly is the same colour there, just the light reflecting in different ways.

The white wheel looks like a replacement as have shots of '131 before and after with aluminium wheels, adds an interesting modelling alternative though!