Round 2 1/72nd 14" space 1999 eagle

gavingav1

Saw that over on Round 2's site a few hours ago Gavin, massive improvememnt on the old MPC/Airfix kit. Would love to get several but with the crazy prices now I doubt I'll be able to get one!

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

I want a kit of the Eagle 2 not a bloody pre-made one, I know I can build it better than any factory can :) That said this is a good pre-cursor to the Lab Eagle for 2020!

As for the 14" Eagle, its a puzzle why they went for that size as its not studio scale and neither will it really be 1:72 scale as the scales on this vehicle - like most Sci Fi models are all mixed up anyway. The figures in the cockpit of the 44" might be 1:24 scale Gemini but they won't fit through the doors behind them or the doors in the side of the passenger pod :)

Never mind, its a NEW EAGLE so whopeeee! Price will be an issue although the Hawk wasn't an utterly ridiculous price last year.

Finally we can ditch that horrible MPC/Airfix kit!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

I want a kit of the Eagle 2 not a bloody pre-made one.

Its not new per se, it is the previous 22" sold as a pre made. The kit version is still available. These 'pre mades' must do good business for Round 2 as they have been making them for several years.

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

As for the 14" Eagle, its a puzzle why they went for that size as its not studio scale and neither will it really be 1:7

Finally we can ditch that horrible MPC/Airfix kit!!!

The vast majority of folk that will buy it, will see it as a standard 1/72 fit into their collection and not bothered it is not studio scale, I'm sure it will sell very well because of that. Strictly speaking their previous 22" kit was not studio scale either, but I get your drift as it is closer than the new 1/72 one.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

To be honest I'm not in the slightest bit bothered by the 'studio scale' malarkey, I'm just happy to have lovely kits for the Eagle to build :)

As for the pre-builds I was referring to the other part of the announcement where they have retooled parts of the original 22" Eagle kit to produce an Eagle 2 version which differs substantially from the Eagle 1 studio model with different leg pod panels and other details. The original MPC/Airfix kit was based on the Eagle 2. However they are only releasing this version in the pre-built range rather than the kit and there is no way I'll ever buy a pre-built, so I want that as a kit!

• Like 3

Finally! After 40 years of waiting including investing in my own custom designed model, a proper IM 1/72 Eagle. I'll be buying 10 in total and will be dusting off my 1/72 launch pad kit to build in readiness. The upside of investing in my own model is that I also have a complete set of brass, aluminium and other enhancements already at hand including a Freighter Pod. Great news!! :clap2:

Edited by Nocoolname
  • Like 2

Cult TV man has preorders available for $39.99 as opposed to the retail price of $50 - of course that doesn't include shipping and import VAT pulse the inevitable Post Office extortion fee...

• Sad 1

On 08/05/2019 at 09:43, Kallisti said:

I want a kit of the Eagle 2 not a bloody pre-made one, I know I can build it better than any factory can :) That said this is a good pre-cursor to the Lab Eagle for 2020!

(...)

Fully agree.

I still wonder about the 22" Eagle sprue layout. The pod beeing no own sprue is the most obvious. It would have been so easy to offer the pod seperately to allow different liveries so you can swap from tie to time to chnage the look of your finished kit on the shelf. Alternate parts for the leg pods would have allowed for Eagle 1, 2 or 3. This would led to the lab pod eagle rather easily and so on.

Maybe they go this route on the 1:72 Eagle but on the larger and more expensive kit this would have been a much nicer choice IMHO.

Anyway - great to see a smaller scale Eagle so you can have some variations in this less shelf consuming scale. Lab Pod and extra booster packs please! Oh - and a nice red glider 🙂

• Like 1

Space: 1999 is a strange one, its not rated by many Anderophiles, me included. I bought the Series 1 BD box set upon release, watched 20 minutes or so of the 1st episode, put it back into box and have not felt compelled in the slightest to watch any of it again. Yet the hardware remains iconic and compelling.

Tommo.

• Like 3

Other way round for me. Loved the series as a kid. Never cared for the other Anderson stuff. Bought the BD set when it came out and while the grown up in me couldn't help but view it with a more critical eye it still put a smile on my face. I've always liked the vehicles especially the Eagle. From what I recall I think it was the very first model kit I built and I had a number of the Dinky die cast versions as well. My desire to build an Eagle again was what brought me back to model making a few years ago but by then my more experienced eye could better appreciate the glaring differences between the filming model and the MPC kit that was available. I did at one point try building the Warp resin kit but while it looked amazingly close in shape to the filming miniature the resin was dreadful and it would seem to fall apart if I so much as looked at it. I tried to do something with the MPC kit but it was simply too off in almost every area. You fixed the shape and proportions in one area and then found they wouldn't fit with any other area and so on. Gave up in the end and with there being no notion back then of anyone even considering a new IM release I ended up designing my own 1/72 with 3D printed parts and custom made etch and aluminium metal elements, right down to tiny brass bolts. It has a full interior including the walkways and rear engine compartment, detachable command unit/beak and sprung landing gear. It remained in its natural metal and primed state while waiting for JBot decals to arrive and sadly hasn't seen the light of day since. But with the great news above I'm going to dust off all of the detail parts to create a fleet of super detailed 1/72 Eagles :)

• Like 4

I thought "Space: 1999" was about the coolest thing ever, on TV, when it first came out.  It was "high budget" science fiction on television!  And it was thus an appreciated alternative to the reruns of Star Trek, as good as that was, that seemed the only other thing out there.  Yeah, the "science" of "Space: 1999" was appallingly ludicrous.  And, yeah, the show got pretty cheesy pretty quick.  But it also managed to achieve iconic status with the Eagle.  That spaceship design has its faults (Fuel?  What fuel?  Who needs fuel tanks for rocket powered space flight!) but it is one of the more readily recognizable science fiction spaceships ever created.

Thus it has a well earned place among desirable SF kits.  I'm looking forward to Round 2's rendering as the old Airfix kitting of the Eagle was always somewhat... lacking...

• Like 2

On 12/05/2019 at 01:58, Nocoolname said:

Other way round for me. Loved the series as a kid. :)

I guess its an age thing, I would have been 16 when S1999 first aired and very much was looking forward to it, but was so disappointed when I saw it. Not helped by dad telling  me at the time it was a poor mans Star Trek (I don't even care for ST) but years on I can see he was right. I was flicking through the Virgin Media channels the other day and chanced upon S1999 on Forces Tv and after lingering on it for a couple of minutes before paging on it just confirmed to me how terrible it is.

To me UFO was Anderson's apogee, everything after that was painfully down hill.

As I said at the outset, its good to have these Round 2 kits.

Tommo.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, Mike Esposito said:

Great news! 

Now how about some 1/48 or 1/72 UFO kits....sky 1, interceptor and of course the UFO!😎

Oh I wish!

Sadly UFO didn't have the popularity in the USA that S:1999 did, which is ironic since the series was ruined in season 2 to try to be more popular in the US market! Ended up killing it - Fred Feieberger, the man who killed Star Trek season 3 base brought in by the US heads of ITC to make it more appealing to the US, hence the rubber suit monster garbage.