Der Sterne von Afrika (English subs)

Sturmovik

Found this movie on YT while I was searching for clips of Marseille's aircraft, I thought you too might be interested.

The aircraft used are the Spanish Ha 1112.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The aircraft are indeed Spanish, but strictly speaking no Buchons. For this film the earlier versions with Hispano-Suiza engines were used (Ha-1112K.1L). Only the later Ha-1112M with the Merlin engine were called Buchon due to the deep chin.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Doc72 said:

but strictly speaking no Buchons.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know Spain had both variants. Which aircraft were then used in the BoB movie?

AFAIK the BoB movie and others used the Merlin-engined Buchons and these also entered the Warbird-market after retirement . I can't say whether these were all new-built or whether the Hispano-Suiza engines were simply replaced with with the more reliable Merlins. In any case I guess they were all Spanish-built.

• Thanks 1

The BoB movie planes were the later Merlin engined HA-1112 M1-L, the so-called Buchon (a pigeon) because of the deep radiator under the nose.  For the BoB film they had the wing-tips clipped, dummy tail struts and dummy guns added to make them look more like Emils - the Hispanos effectively started off as licenced Gustavs, but had to have different engines due to DBs not being made available.

• Thanks 1

According to W. Green in Warplanes of the Third Reich the 109 development for Spain was the 109J, to be licence-built by Hispano, but with DB605s supplied by Daimler-Benz. But DB605s were not forthcoming from Germany, who couldn't meet their own needs,

never mind supply Spain! 25 partly-completed airframes were supplied to Spain without engines. Hispano converted one to use a H-S89-12Z engine in a lash-up mounting, which flew in March 1945. The remaining 24 were completed during 1947-49, but were never operational. These were the Ha1109-J1L.

In May 1951 a developed version, the Ha1112-K1L, flew with a H-S 17-12Z engine in a proper installation, with gun and rocket armament. 65 of these were built, gaining the nickname Tripala (three-blader) due to it's 3-bladed d-H Hydromatic propellor.

1954 saw the purchase by Spain of Rolls-Royce Merlin 500-45 engines and Rotol propellors, from UK government surplus stocks, which allowed the development of the definitive Ha1112-M1L, armed with Hispano 20mm cannon, and rocket packs. 172 were built,

these were the Buchons, and the last of them endured in Spanish service until December 1965.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A still from Der Stern von Afrika was used by Toliver/Constable in I think their Hartmann book (German Edition, at least), captioned as „a 109G over the Eastern Front“. Who needs basic research and aircraft recognition skills when fake facts are so much easier 🤯

Edit: The pic may have been inserted by the German Editor. Anyway, a much better film starring Joachim Hansen IMHO is Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben ?, though without many planes. 😉 

Edited by tempestfan
  • Haha 2