Recent Completions - OH-58D, P-47D, Spitfire VIII

After a two-year hiatus through severe loss of mojo, I have only recently re-started modelling. Put simply, 2017 was a terrible year for me. In April, we lost one of our beloved dogs suddenly and quite unexpectedly. Then in the spring and summer, I had a major falling out with my former boss, so I looked for, and eventually found, a new job. After 16 years in the same position....

Then, to end the year, my father passed away. There were some other issues that contributed to my personal ‘annus horribilis,’ so I was relieved to get 2017 out of the way! 

2018 was all about getting my life back on track, with a challenging new job and seeking help through counseling, but modelling did not play a part in that. I would often sit in my den and stare at my modelling desk and simply have no enthusiasm at all for the hobby. Which was a major issue, given that modelling has been part of my life for over 45 years. In close to 2 years, I completed just two models. 

But recently, I’ve started to get the itch back, slowly but surely. I chatted with my former editor at the US Nationals and I got a review kit that I worked my way through. It was big and complicated but I enjoyed the challenge, although my skills have eroded somewhat. That should be in print very soon and I'll post an update on that in time. Meanwhile, I have recently finished three other models, the Italeri 1/48 OH-58D in Croatian AF markings, and a pair of Hasegawa 1/48 kits, the Thunderbolt I and Spitfire VIII. 

The Italeri kit is quite simple. It's billed as a "100% new mould" on the box, but that doesn't stop the canopy/windscreen from being a very poor fit. Otherwise, it's a nice little kit and the only additions were a few items to the cockpit - seat harnesses and such. I had to create my own decals for a Croatian Air Force machine. 

005 (2)

The Hasegawa P-47 Thunderbolt I is quite an old kit, mid-90s, but it's quite good. Typical of Hasegawa, there's not a lot of detail, but it's quite sufficient for my purpose, which was to help re-build my skills. The only issue I had was with the Vallejo RAF 'Dark Green', which was not at all the right shade, and was very fragile. So I covered it with Mission Models Dark Green, which looks a lot better! Xtradecals were used for the markings. 

The dimensional issues with the Hasegawa Spit VIII are well known, but the purpose of this build was, again, simply to build up my skills again and not worry about total accuracy. It builds up well and it nicely detailed. Again, I used Xtradecals for the markings of 152 Sqn. 

With both of these builds, I was aiming for a somewhat used 'tropical distressed' look, with dark brown and dark grey washes, and patchy paintwork through pre- and post-shading and colour variations. Comments welcome. 

Now the question is, what kit to build next...?

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 18

Great comeback, really good to see you building again.

I had two anni horribili (2015-2016) and can relate to how it affects one's modelling mojo. But 2019 has been better on all fronts, sincerely hope yours is as well 👍

Alan

• Like 1

Cheers, guys! 

Alan, I am certainly feeling much better about myself now, and things have definitely improved over the past year or so. And I really do have some enthusiasm for modelling again! Glad to hear you are having a better time of it as well! 

• Like 2

It’s great to hear your in a better place! I can empathise with a lot of what you have been through and how that can affect your outlook or drive for other things, like hobbies. I’ve just got back into some of my half finished kits after leaving them for about two year, just needed to get back on track first. 

So like I said glad your in a better place and back at the bench 👍🏻.

the models look excellent, love the scheme choices for the spitfire and p-47. Looking forward to whatever you choose to do next!

Rob

• Like 1