1/48 KP MiG 21 Bis, IAF

Here's the venerable MiG 21 Bis by KP with an Eduard seat and windshield and a modified Aero Bonus Soviet pilot.  The Blastpen is card and equipment from some 1/35 spares.  This particular aircraft was painted by me in the Sqn way back in 1986.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My Pic

spacer.png

• Like 18

Nice rendition of such an old kit!

Eduard's windshield and seat were certainly a good idea and I like the surroundings also.

:goodjob:

This particular aircraft was painted by me in the Sqn way back in 1986

Can you perhaps shed some light into these Indian special paint jobs?

Any occasions or restrictions when they could be applied?

Could theoretically every jet of every squadron receive some splash of colour or only one/ a couple from specific squadrons?

Who could come up with the design proposal and who did authorise them?

Cheers,

Niki

Thanx gentlemen!!  The painting of tails began about the early 80s when large force visual engagements began to be practised in the IAF, so in a bid to distinguish the sides, same types began to be painted to distinguish sides!!. the caveat was that they would have to be quickly returned to air defence camouflage ( a dull greenish grey)on the imminence of hostilities.  There was no clear plan or pattern and enthusiastic technical officers and in some cases, pilots like me were allowed to let their creativity run wild!1 Generally, polka dots and stripes were used, mainly on the tails and wings but overenthusiastic artists went as far as the nose!1 None of the camouflaged Jaguars, Mirage 2000s, MiG 23Bn and MiG27 MLs were painted.  this practice has since stopped including Unit crests and markings!!  End of an era!!spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2