Eastern Express Boeing 747SP

26Decals

I flew home from Australia on a Qantas SP in 2000 so despite already having the Welsh kit, this will most definitely be winging its way into my stash!

l remember an article where someone chopped up a regular size 1/144 Jumbo to make a 747SP. It was a lot of work 

hacker

7 hours ago, hacker said:

l remember an article where someone chopped up a regular size 1/144 Jumbo to make a 747SP. It was a lot of work 

hacker

Yeah me too, I think it may have been in Finescale Modeler magazine from the early 90s ish. It was (and still is!) way out of my skill level to do that.

If we're putting in our orders for aftermarket decal sheets, I'd like QANTAS cheat line scheme and Pan-Am please!

Jeff

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

No doubt the decal manufacturers will be spoiling us for choice once they get their hands on a kit.

I already have 9 decals for the SP available so it will just be a matter of adjusting them to fit :)

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=79984&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=747sp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I'd like QANTAS cheat line scheme

Definitely, I remember these in & out of Wellington when they were the only International jets servicing the Capital after the AirNZ DC-8s were retired & before the 767s arrived. We used to see them over flying Nelson on their way to & fro so I'm up for one.

Steve.

9 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Yeah me too, I think it may have been in Finescale Modeler magazine from the early 90s ish. It was (and still is!) way out of my skill level to do that.

If we're putting in our orders for aftermarket decal sheets, I'd like QANTAS cheat line scheme and Pan-Am please!

Jeff

Definitely FineScale Modeler, but I don't recall which issue. As for aftermarket decals, Braniff International please!

Edited by Space Ranger

16 hours ago, hacker said:

hacker

I remember seeing a similar article, maybe even the same one. The challenge with shortening a 747-100 fuselage is that you can't just cut-and-shut discrete sections out of it. In addition, Boeing simplified the wing flaps on the SP and increased the height of the vertical stabiliser.

Might need a couple of these. American for a start. But I’ve been thinking about the NASA SOFIA SP for a while - wouldn’t mind having a go at that, with the door open and the telescope inside.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Jeff

Hawkeye Models already has a number of QANTAS SP sheets including the cheatline scheme. I have one for my Welsh kit.

CDS-084.gif

• Like 4

On 5/8/2019 at 7:10 PM, Eric Mc said:

NASA SOFIA for me too - although that would need some scratchbuilt conversion work.

Add my vote for the NASA SOFIA! I picked up the Welsh kit years ago but have not moved any further due to lack of decals.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻