I found this photo collection while looking for the history of N1837M and I thought some of you might enjoy looking at these photos- hope you have not seen many of them before. If you've never seen one in person, it's a BIG airplane for a twin! Might just cause me to yank my old Williams Bros. kit down from the stash!

Mike

my mistake! Here's the link I forgot to attach! I was so excited when I found the photos, I forgot to attach the link after I bookmarked the site!

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/Curtiss C46 Photographs.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, VH-USB said:

With some work the old Williams Bros. C-46 can be built into a nice model.

Here's my brother Tom's build:

https://www.airlinercafe.com/photoalbums.php?albumid=202

Tim

Tim, tell your brother he nailed it! Very, very nice model! I vaguely remember one I saw years ago that the builder did in natural metal, with dropped flaps, and a detailed cockpit and wheel bays, but I think it was a military C-46.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the South American Skytruck operations as well. 

Bolivia is a good place to start. 

Transportes Aereos Bolivar etc. 

La Paz Airport is at 13000 ft, that's before you even take off. 

IMG_20190511_165206

The Williams kit is a great old product from the pre-CNC hitec era. 

I'm trying hard to get another one! 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 19:14, VH-USB said:

With some work the old Williams Bros. C-46 can be built into a nice model.

Here's my brother Tom's build:

Your brother Tom has done good with that build, VH....!! 

Excellent job with the main cargo doors, and it looks like he's gone for the different scratch built elevators too. 

Need to go back and check the engine cowlings.... Has he worked those over as well?? 

Very nice photography too. 

Thanks for putting the link 👍

20 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Your brother Tom has done good with that build, VH....!! 

Excellent job with the main cargo doors, and it looks like he's gone for the different scratch built elevators too. 

Need to go back and check the engine cowlings.... Has he worked those over as well?? 

Hi Rob,

I'm sure my brother Tom did all the necessary conversion work to correctly model a C-46R.

I know he did scratchbuild the larger horizontal stabilizer/elevators, which were part of the 'R' conversion unique to Riddle.

Leading Edge Models used to offer a C-46R conversion set, with decals for a RCAF C-46 if I recall correctly. That set is long OOP.

Tom supplied the artwork and had American Flyer Decals create a custom decal sheet.

Tom has a lot of reference photos of the actual Riddle C-46R, which he took long ago at Chicago's Midway Airport. As kids we used to ride our bikes out to MDW and photograph the cargo planes there.

If you have any specific questions on Tom's C-46R build I can pass them along to him.

The model was photographed outside the Johnson Wax flight center at Batten Field, Racine, Wisconsin. Tom is senior pilot for Johnson Wax.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2019 at 20:54, 72modeler said:

it's a BIG airplane for a twin! Might just cause me to yank my old Williams Bros. kit down from the stash!

Have you started yet....? 

Have you started yet....??

😎

15 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Have you started yet....? 

Have you started yet....??

😎

You have to be kidding me! I haven't finished a model since my 1/72 Matchbox Siskin IIIA in 1986! Hoping to come out of retirement this summer, but I t want to get my  hands back in on something that doesn't require a lot of work building/correcting...but I sure do want to do a C-46 in wartime BOAC  colors and markings- I even have the decals for it! I'm getting grief for my lack of production on both sides of the pond now! (I guess it;s nice to be noticed, Rob- thanks for thinking about me!)

Mike

Link to the one that I have always wanted to do.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/decals/maestrodecals7208reviewmd_1.htm

Link to some in WW2 markings that I also like- used in Operation Varsity, which was part of Operation Market Garden, IIRC. Need to research serial numbers, though.

http://ekladata.com/7ljxpGk50fflpwFbWYYN7fn-wcg.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

...but I sure do want to do a C-46 in wartime BOAC  colors and markings-

Well, camo schemes aren't my cup of tea, but it's your call... 😎

Your main hassle there I guess, is the windows, and prop spinners by the look of it. Are you worried about seats and interior? 

Op. Varsity US airframe looks like a straight build to me. 

And it is a pleasure to work with this big old kit. I'm hoping to get another one sometime. 

P. S. It's now officially summer, so time to get a move on...! 😀

• Sad 1