Done At Last! 1/72 YF-105A Thunderchief Conversion

Here are the final photos of my conversion of a Monogram F-105D kit into the prototype YF-105A, and here is the  Build Thread

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And for a little comparison, the original Monogram F-105D alongside:

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you check out the build thread, you will see that it was a long ride...

Ed

• Like 37

Thanks , I'll get back to that one in a day or two, Martin

billn53, thank you, and I'm glad you picked a few tricks.  As I stated at the beginning, it was the job by TGO on his 1/48 model, that taught me enough to think I might get away with this build.  We all eventually follow along a path that was blazed by others...

Ed

• Like 1

That's one stunning bit of work with the conversion, Ed!  I really like the look of that final finish.  Nice comparison photos of it and the F-105D, which looks fabulous as well.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks all!

While at first, the issue was in doubt, I gained confidence as I went along.  Of course, the toughest part was pulling out the resin canopy at the end.  She does look good on the shelf, and I'm glad I got it done, finally!

Ed

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, John R said:

Another one wrestled to the ground! Well done - can't be many (or any) of those about.

John

Agreed, John. However, I have just added JF-105B 54-0112 to my build list. That'll add another colourful Thud to the mix, and a further development machine. I'm not brave enough to try Ed's approach and go for such comprehensive butchery.  :)

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks John,

Martin, one of these days I'm hoping to get around to one of the early F-105B's, with the rear windows.  Not any time soon, however.  Come on guys there's still room for the #2 prototype (099), she's just like 098 except for the shape of the wing inlet ramps, and she had the fuel dump in the rear -- oh, and that one DID carry the Gatling Gun.

Ed

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 3:31 AM, TheRealMrEd said:

final photos of my conversion of a Monogram F-105D kit into the prototype YF-105A,

We can all finally breathe again! Those of us that went through the build with you, know what the challenges were and how you skillfully excited the plan, nothing was going to stop this build.

She looks beautiful, and seeing her side by side with what the kit should have been as an OOB, it is just amazing how you removed the wasp waist and tackled the lost windscreen.

Phenomenal work, I am truly in awe and more importantly, inspired to become a better modeler!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

I had a grandmother who used to tell me "Can't never could do nothin'".  While the grammar is imperfect the sentiment is not.  The trick is to think "I don't know how to do that YET", instead of "I can't".  Just like TGO inspired me to attempt this build, I would be very happy if this build one day inspired other modelers to extend their capabilities beyond their present state!

Ed

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

modelers to extend their capabilities beyond their present state!

One of the biggest lessons I learned from the Army, we are all far more capable than we realize. I did things that I thought impossible for my age, the never quit attitude as well, this still gets me into trouble with my doctors. They have told me what I should avoid doing because of my injuries, my reply is always the same "if I follow your orders and quit, I might as well be dead", I would rather live and risk further injury, than just give in a become a house plant.

I will use this same approach to modeling, the only thing I will fail at doing, is the things I don't even try. Come hell or high water, I will probably do everything I learn at least once, just for the experience!

Thanks for taking me under your wings, it's been an honor! I look forward to your next adventure as well, please let me tag along when you start the next build. Hopefully soon, I will have a WIP to share with the group as well. Still waiting on some last bits of supplies and paints before I start, and I have shifted my build que as well. Doing a modern OOB jet, just to get my toes wet again, seems like a safer bet than trying to start my helicopter builds straight out of the gate.

Cheers!

Anthony