Hovertank from Slave one

This is starting to look pretty good I must say.

Maybe some ribbing on the inside of the skirts for stiffening?

The bottom of my Nutcracker model suggest fans for lift.

Not sure where the intakes for those fans are but anyway...

This is making me want to work on my MaK 'Sixpack' heavy lift truck.

'Crack on' as they say!

4 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

This is making me want to work on my MaK 'Sixpack' heavy lift truck

Tell me more. Is there a WIP? If not why not? Ma.k needs more publicity!

The Panzer bits I've fitted just suggest fans and the Tiger decks on the sides could be where the air comes in. Though they are a bit vulnerable on a fighting vehicle.

Ribbing on the inside of the skirts is a good idea. I do have a fiendish plan for the skirts, hopefully I'll get time this weekend to see if it works.

I took some in progress pictures last weekend that I've been meaning to post.....

cJVqDu2.jpg

I'd cut down and filled the (white) curved bit in the middle, rubbed down the Milliput around the edges and smoothed it out with typists correction fluid.

If you squint, just above and below the wheels/fans in the middle, greebly machine guns can be just about seen. Not mine, but original to Slave one.

CA3iIq7.jpg

I fitted another skirt around the lower edges and sanded it level (ish) all round. A couple more ex Tiger bits got fitted too.

tPM2wJZ.jpg

In the middle there are two bits of spare track from the Tigers which I've since removed. Also, ooh, what a nice rusty exhaust.

Or6vm8a.jpg

Another shot of the exhaust. I'm rather chuffed with that. White primer, stippled on brown & clear orange. Simples.

Thanks for looking,

Pete

• Like 10

It's really starting to come together now Pete. I love the way you've detailed the underside, and that exhaust does look rather spiffing. I assume you'll be masking it when you do the main painting?

Speaking of painting, what colour scheme are you going with? Most of the nutcrackers I've seen seem to always be finished in a desert DAK scheme.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Andy, thanks for looking in.

At the moment the exhaust is removable, so no masking required, I actually thought ahead!

I'm not sure if I've not put too much stuff on the sides, but I keep thinking of WW2 Shermans and all that they carried.

As for the colour scheme, I like the desert scheme but was thinking more late European Tiger? 

Three colours with the dots. Probably with blutack masking? I'm open to ideas here.

Regards

Pete

I dunno how much crew gear this thing would carry.

The Nutcracker tanks are supposed to be robotic.

On the other hand, the nice thing about building this kind of stuff is that you can say it's anything you like!

25137_1_has64004_7.jpg

BTW your bellypan looks considerably more interesting than the kit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

The Nutcracker tanks are supposed to be robotic.

Ah, ok. I haven’t seen the source material, so I assumed there was a crew. Still, there could be netting with fronds/ plants, etc. for camouflage?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

BTW your bellypan looks considerably more interesting than the kit.

I have to agree there. I've never seen that view before. What were they thinking? 😆

I have decided on a scale of 1/48th and I think there would then be space for one or two crew.

There are plans for external tools etc.I got some time on it this morning. Hopefully I can post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks as always, Pete

I never know what to say about your work that gives due credit to the sheer inventiveness on show in these builds Pete! Gorgeous!

A thoroughly convincing representation of a wholly imaginary thing. :clap:

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Sir.

It's real in my head and the plans are in there somewhere.

And, it may well be more accurate than some of the kits we've seen issued over the years!

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words and the help, guys. I was thinking in shades of blue too. Is it too much? Having seen the above, maybe not.

I don't think I'll get to the painting stage this weekend. We're off out this afternoon. But I can have a good think about it.

I'm glad you're having as much fun with this as I am.

Cheers

Pete

And as they used to say on TV, later that same day...

WnK02sw.jpg

I set up some 1/48th figures to show the scale/size of this beast. I think a single crewman should fit okay, rather than being a robot tank like Nutrocker etc.

K04zuzG.jpg

Oh, so you noticed the new skirt then? Having previously superglued a rubber band to my cutting mat (tsk) I noticed that the Tiger tracks were rubber.

And, rather than the previous (polythnene?) ones they used to come with, I wondered if they might do the job.

There are some joints but overall not too shabby.

rSnUINx.jpg

A close up of the gun. I've gone for a small calibre quick firing jobbie. Should be enough to take care of pesky armoured fighting suits.

9Bg2JcG.jpg

In an effort to integrate the two layers of card that I'd added to the lower hull I stretched some sprue.

The Slave One hull has raised 'panel' lines so they were continued over the new card and some new lines added over the card. 

tanq1vg.jpg

Extra ribbing was suggested for under the new card, so I've added card strips there.

i7DToDq.jpg

And something from an Aircraft kit here. That machine gun greebly can be seen and at upper centre, is that an ammo belt?

VCD6fal.jpg

Suddenly, here we are basking in the sunshine in grey primer! 

jTO2dK6.jpg

The business end. The 'dents' are where I applied lots of glue to make the card conform, but I think it will add to the final effect.

omsYsz8.jpg

The other side. The skirt joint isn't as smooth here and the primer has shown up (as always) a few areas that need extra work. But, overall....

eKmYhHH.jpg

The belly of the beast. The extra ribbing does look good and the edges have smoothed out under a primer wash. 

It just needs dirt,shading and weathering under here.

In keeping with the Nutrocker type names I've come up with Nutmeg Ausf A. So the crews would (will/might?) call them Nutmegga's.

It will probably be next weekend before I get a chance to get back to this, so the primer will have a good chance to dry.

The next tasks are tidying things up, slap some colours and stickers on and do an RFI. Woohoo!

As always, thanks for looking and all comments/cheques etc are gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 9

:shocked: amazing! How about a couple of light machine guns embedded in the front of the skirt? As it is it looks a little like a kid building a Panzer and then sticking a slingshot on top (it still looks brilliant, don’t get me wrong :P)

• Thanks 1

It's always a magic moment when the first coat of primer/paint goes on, and it all suddenly gels together.

I think I like your version better than the original. The small turret/large body gives the whole thing a really interesting set of proportions.

And I love the name. I feel like it should be painted nutmeg now.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The 'dents' are where I applied lots of glue to make the card conform, but I think it will add to the final effect.

I  am a big fan of accidental modelling as sometimes things are best left, as is the case here, it is a tank after all.

Cracking work, looking forward to seeing it in battledress.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

I can just see it sliding across some arctic landscape hunting for mercenary AFS.

Ooh, Arctic. Now there's an idea, snow camouflage. But with a touch of blue/purple perhaps?

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

I think I like your version better than the original. The small turret/large body gives the whole thing a really interesting set of proportions.

Thank you, I have to agree, the huge turret on the original just doesn't look right to me. And yes, that first coat of primer does it for me too.

2 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

How about a couple of light machine guns embedded in the front of the skirt?

I'll have a think about that. Maybe something on the side like a Huey Hog? And that idea may become rockets. A field mod/temp fit thing.

As always, thanks for the comments and compliments, Guys. All much appreciated.

Have a good week, I'm off to Birmingham early tomorrow so plenty of time to plot and ponder on my next modelling moves.

Regards, Pete.