Hovertank from Slave one

I was going to wait until I finished the VW but this keeps nagging at me and it is in progress, so....

d2gSVt3.jpg

I got this as 'parts missing' from that nice chap Ian, at Kits for cash. At rest it's always reminded me of a kreiger hover tank. What is a bloke to do?

Okay, so it's not that close to a 'Nutrocker' but it's close enough for me, and the original kit is a silly price anyway.

PRj2dyV.jpg

Here are the top and base. I've sawn sections out of the top to make vertical joints and I scored the front and rear to reduce the width to 95mm.

This has made it slightly taller. The tape is just holding it together for the picture. If I use the base, I'll have to cut that down too.

ikoNMRB.jpg

To hold it to the required width I cut lengths of sprue/runner/whatever, drilled holes in the sides and glued the result.

Tbqi2pW.jpg

Once all was dry I cut off the sticky out bits and sanded it smooth. I'll cover the remains with greeblies later.

61Wkpul.jpg

Here we leap forward a bit. The gap was backed with plastic card and left to dry overnight. 

The gap then filled with the engine deck of an Airfix Tiger tank, an odd green bit and an ex tank grey bit. It is the same both sides BTW.

It now looks a bit more technical. I'll add more later.

0lkP7YP.jpg

There will be a skirt around the bottom to even things out so don't worry about the back end as seen here.

ZZetmoY.jpg

A higher angle shot showing the plastic card inside and the rods holding it all together.

I need to leave it all to set properly for a while now and I also need to finish off the VW so, I'll be back!

Meantime, comments and medals are very welcome.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 12

Not quite, If I can get the link to work....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6t4AAOSw5FJa6tPx/s-l300.jpg

It will be something along these lines so I may cut the back down a bit, we'll see how it goes, that's the beauty of these scratchbuilds.

I don't like the turret on the Nutrocker so i'll be doing something else there too.

Pete

• Like 1

I got about an hour or so on this later today. 

I've made a start on the skirt with plasticard, but nothing much worth taking pictures over.

Thanks for stopping by. 

Pete

18 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

A tank. That hovers.

(Fawlty voice) "You'll have to excuse him, he's from Grantham.

The tank now has a plastic card skirt (no not that sort. You're on the wrong forum again!) all the way around it.

The skirt is 15mm deep if you really need to know. Nothing much to see really so no pictures as yet. 

Thanks for stopping by, feel free to refill the kettle after your cuppa. Who brought those awful biscuits?

Cheers

Pete

• Haha 3

I started at the bottom of the page and thought"Hmm, he's building a Nutcracker but it looks a bit, you know, funny."

(Nut rocker was a translation typo btw  [/pedant]) :tomato:

Wait a minute!

That's the old MPC Slave 1 kit with some Tiger bits stuck on...

Looks good so far.

I agree the old turret that came with the Nutrocker kit never did anything for me either.

Too tall. In fact I thought the whole tank was a bit too tall come to that.

One question, on the skirt, are you going for a nice Beardie tartan or something kinky in black rubber?

Oh and are there any of those chocolate biscuits left before I go?

Now to go find your VW build...

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2019 at 4:41 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

he's from Grantham.

Ay lad and proud of it. in the late seventies/early eighties Grantham was voted the most boring town in the UK, the most exciting thing to do was watch the traffic lights change so watching this build is excitement off the scale😁

If your interested we now have some more traffic lights.😚

• Haha 1

And Grantham has a closed road due to the digging up process behind the High street, which makes life interesting when delivering the falling down water.

To get from the Guildhall to the Conservative club I had to venture back onto the High street, then found a right turn near the end, down there and then

THE WRONG WAY UP THE CLOSED ONE WAY STREET! for about ten yards and left at St Michaels church to get onto the right track. Mea Culpa.

I was following a local in a Mercedes though. And I had my eyes shut so no one could see me (that is how it works, right?).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And Grantham has a closed road due to the digging up process behind the High street, which makes life interesting when delivering the falling down water.

To get from the Guildhall to the Conservative club I had to venture back onto the High street, then found a right turn near the end, down there and then

THE WRONG WAY UP THE CLOSED ONE WAY STREET! for about ten yards and left at St Michaels church to get onto the right track. Mea Culpa.

I was following a local in a Mercedes though. And I had my eyes shut so no one could see me (that is how it works, right?).

If you think Grantham is interesting in a large van you should try it in a fifteen foot high truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How about Grantham in a very large, low-flying airship? (And biscuits to whoever gets that reference. It is *hopelessly* obscure.)

Edited by DalekCheese
  • Confused 2