Hovertank from Slave one

20 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

How about a Fatman Atom bomb launcher?

You're nearly as daft as me! I'll have to see what's in the spares boxes and cobble something together. 🛠️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I was wondering about some bolt on armoured panels for the front.

For a man who has an atom bomb in his spare box, this wouldn't seem out of place! 😄

Saw on the news about the flooding in your neck of the woods Pete. Hope you haven't been affected.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For a man who has an atom bomb in his spare box, this wouldn't seem out of place! 😄

Saw on the news about the flooding in your neck of the woods Pete. Hope you haven't been affected.

To be fair, it's only a small atom bomb and the paint is peeling bubbling off it anyway.

I'm North of Lincoln, fed up with working in the rain, but on the plus side I haven't had to mow the lawns for two weeks.

I was out near Spalding today and it seemed a bit damper out there. You've had a fair bit in the Emerald Isle though...

I only got about an hour on this last weekend but we do have some frontal armour in place now. I hope to get more done on Saturday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

was out near Spalding today and it seemed a bit damper out there. You've had a fair bit in the Emerald Isle though...

Indeed Pete: extremely humid alternating with brief intense downpours. It's as if the sky periodically bursts into tears of frustration at not knowing what to do with itself...

As a result of these conditions am sorry to have to report that one's breakfast croissant became heavily moistened in transit from the carpark to workplace entrance, necessitating later replacement by a vanilla-custard filled doughnut. This was consumed in direct sunlight and a light south-westerly breeze.

The outlook for the rest of the week is periodic biscuits, with occasional heavy downpours of tea. 

• Haha 4

Another weekend, another update, AT LAST!

I've been adding bits of frontal armour and, this morning, a cowcatcher as suggested by @DalekCheese I used a bit of Slave One for this.

The main front panel is 1/24th Typhoon, with odd Aircraft bits adjoining. I've added Meng nuts and bolts here and on other bits of the tank.

Is there an easy (safe) way to cut these from the sheet? I love the detail but I slice them off and lose some of them and or skin in the process!

h22YyAm.jpg

I broke off the plastic turret gun at least twice. This replacement is metal. I can't remember what it was used for in it's former life.

nigPkvs.jpg

This morning I remembered the radiators I'd made earlier so I added them, plus an additional step. Yes, bomb fins.

9fdf2W8.jpg

Here's another shot of the gun. I'm not sure what type it's supposed to be but it looks like it means business.

It's kind of like the stuff @Tzulscha posted at the top of this page though. Have you noticed how the grey primer keeps changing hue? Weird.

USWpHVc.jpg

How does a hover tank change direction? Easy when you find 50 year old Airfix Harrier nozzles in the spares box. One each side. 

So then I added dabs of Humbrol Maskol in areas of likely wear all over the tank.

RyclX5P.jpg

I fired up the airbrush and hit it with a couple of shades of green, then added more Maskol.

lmIi6vm.jpg

And then a thin coat of Tamiya matt white. Leave to dry for as long as you can stand to wait and peel off the Maskol.

gMvN8sj.jpg

You then get scabby areas of grey and green. Fun eh?

PRVBYW7.jpg

In reality the white was so thin it looks like a pale grey. But, who is to say that in 800 years the snow will be white?

anOBosK.jpg

Now I need to sort out some decals. Numbers and unit markings. I may then do another thin coat of white over them.

It also needs weathering and some finishing touches, but the end is now in sight.

Any comments or suggestions are gratefully received. Thanks for looking,

Pete

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's looking fantastic Pete. I love the winter scheme.

Regarding cutting the Meng bolts off the sheet - I always do it with a Swan Morton No. 15 blade, as it's small enough to get between the bolt heads without doing any serious damage to anything else.

And I do it over a plastic tray to catch any escapees.

Andy :cat:

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments, Guys. I did give a couple of areas a quick swipe with micromesh yesterday.

It helped to blend things together. I'll do more if/when I get time before I weather.

I use a No 11 blade for the bolts. I'll see what else I have. I like the tray idea.

The scale is 1/48th. I found the ideal figure for a jockey in one of my boxes. I think a 1/35th figure would be too big.

I don't have any Leman Russ stuff. I don't want to overdo the detail and I think it's about 'there'. More might spoil it.

Thanks again for looking.

Pete

• Like 1

I got some time in to do weathering today. I may have overdone that! It's a bit muddy now.

I'll not get any time until next weekend and will see how I feel about it then.

Cheers

Pete

On 6/23/2019 at 6:57 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I may have overdone that! It's a bit muddy now.

Not necessarily a negative Pete. I often (not always of course, but often enough) find doing too much and then knocking the intensity back later gives more expressive potential than slowly building it up in an overly-deliberate fashion. I'm sure you'll come up with the goods no matter what you decide.

Have a good week in the heat plume...

• Like 1