Short Skyvan Series 3 Skyliner - Airfix 1/72

More classic Airfix from me - this is my effort at building the Skyvan as G-ASZJ which was the 4th Skyvan and the prototype "Skyliner" all seater variant. And, yes, it is very pink!

33903688538_50eb797002_o.jpgvan7 

A few tweaks are needed to change the basic kit into the Skyliner. Most notably two new windows need to be cut out, one filled in, and a rear passenger door was scribed in place of the blanked window. There is also a blister of some kind under the fuselage which was formed from a chopped up Hunter drop tank.

33903689278_08cc078af1_o.jpgvan4

With a fuselage that is basically a cuboid, you would think construction should be foolproof but in my efforts to tightly squeeze the components together with rubber bands my first attempt resulted in a distinctly rhombus shape when viewed from the front!!! Fortunately it came apart pretty easily!! 

33903688038_fa14010d0e_o.jpgvan9 

This beast is another enthusiastic tail sitter. The front is crammed to the brim with steel shot and yet it was still insufficient to keep it level. Fortunately the replacement 4 blade props and spinners are white metal from Aeroclub and just about tip the CoG forward enough. I needed to slim down the faces of the Garretts in order to match the (correctly) pointier white metal spinners. G-ASZJ can also be seen with three bladed props earlier and later in its career.

33903688298_38aa46412e_o.jpgvan8 

The pink scheme was used around 1971 and there are some nice pics of this aircraft at the Paris Air Show. There was an earlier version of the scheme with a lemon yellow colour rather than pink. Although you would think that pink is pink, it took a few goes to get the right match. I used Gunze H19 with a touch of red, with a generic light grey for the lower fuselage. The engines were painted with my diminishing stock of Citadel Mithril Silver.  

46991533324_11c1aed5aa_o.jpgvan11 

Decals for the scheme came from Two-Six. There was a moment of head scratching caused by the scenario below but fortunately the decal being black could simply be flipped over. I can confirm that later prints of these decals do have the logo correctly handed!!!

45978258715_5feb73c0d3_b.jpgUntitled 

This aircraft had a long career - it was certainly flying as recently as 2013 as 9Q-CSD with Swala Aviation in Kenya. Hope you like!

Pat

33903689018_851013d40a_o.jpgvan5 

33903689948_34b9408041_o.jpgvan1 

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 3

That is absolutely gorgeous.  I never thought anything derived from the Skyvan could be called pretty but you've proved me wrong!  Superb modelling.

Well done sir. Have a round of :clap2:

Dave G

• Like 2

Great job . I'd forgotten these Bright Skyvans ,saw the Yellow one once , funny planes .

An Oman Air Force Pilot fell out of his door after it came off in flight over Al Kassab, Oman in 1985/86 when I was there.

Well done ,thanks for showing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wow! Haven't seen one of these built in a long, long time, and yours is by far the best of the bunch! Looks like a Mary Kay support aircraft in those colors! 😜

Mike

• Haha 1

Very nice rendition of a classic Airfix kit, I had one of these, and the mouldings at the time with all the rivets looked really good, as the rivets were not over done, I can't comment on the fit, as I sold mine

40 minutes ago, Chanex said:

the epitome of 70’s British quirkiness!

As indeed am I !!!!😉

Thanks for all the kind comments. I hope to see some more pink aircraft on RFI soon!

Pat