1/32 Revell P-51D Mustang 'Lou IV'

Hot off the bench and finished just yesterday! This is a commission build for a friend, OOB except for the aftermarket seat belts from Eduard.

Revell's 1/32 P-51D kit, whilst affordable, was not quite what I expect of a modern, new-tool kit in this day and age. Some notable issues around fit include:

• Just about EVERYWHERE!

All major joins required filling and sanding, reminiscent (to me) of the very old Hobbycraft kits I'd built in the past. Details were soft and sprue gates were massive! Honestly, I switched to my more heavy duty cutters rather than risk my good nippers to get parts off before cleaning up the flash and burr lines. In short, I would not look to build another of this kit.

I am so looking forward to going back to 1/72 after this! But... she's finished nonetheless, and I'm hoping her new owner will be satisfied with the results.

Once again, thanks for looking :bye:

P5HkZWJ.jpg

R22zyS7.jpg

cahRxPT.jpg

k8cXtvb.jpg

sEiKNmx.jpg

l17qJkI.jpg

43xjJDE.jpg

PXAjzTO.jpg

EkpSQdV.jpg

Edited by Min
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful job, you friend should be very pleased with that.

Pity about the fit issues, as you say a modern kit shouldn't have these problems nowadays, but probably why it's under half the price of a Tamiya

You'd never know it put up a fight! I imagine your customer will be very happy with that.

I bought this kit precisely because it was so cheap, looks like it builds up really well with the correct application of effort 👍

Alan

That’s a very tidy build and finish given your observations on fit issues. You can be proud of that one. 

I have the Tamiya one in the stash and was thinking of adding the Revell one due to its comparatively low cost but now wonder if I should bother?

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

That’s a very tidy build and finish given your observations on fit issues. You can be proud of that one. 

I have the Tamiya one in the stash and was thinking of adding the Revell one due to its comparatively low cost but now wonder if I should bother?

Thank you John, and everyone else for the kind words.

I imagine the Tamiya one would be better detailed and have much nicer fit. Zoukei Mura have this exact same plane and markings available, but if you're looking to add the Revell one to the stash because of the low price then go for it.

To be honest, the price was what made me get this kit (my friend/customer paid for the kit, but left it to my discretion as to which one to choose). From the reviews it sounded like a winner, and even if I'd known about the fit issues I'd still have gone for it anyway - but at least I would have been mentally prepared for the challenge.

Min.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! 👍

Well deserved. 

I am trying to imagine an 8 hour mission from Iwo Jima over the Pacific sitting in that glass house under the tropical sun....

👍👍

Looks excellent! Although it might not be as good as some new tool kits, be thankful it’s not the ancient 1/32 revell P-51B that I have half built... the thing just doesn’t want to fit together! 😂

Edited by Doccur
  • Haha 1