1/72 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth by AVI Models - released - new DH.80A boxing by LF Models

Homebee

Released

- ref. AVI72011 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth over Europe - https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=34&controller=product&id_lang=1

147-AviModels_home.jpg

- ref. AVI72013  - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth over Asia - https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=1

153-AviModels_home.jpg

- ref. AVI72014  - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth - Floating & Skiing - https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=42&controller=product&id_lang=1

160-AviModels_home.jpg

V.P.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

That looks very nice, I will probably get the Commonwealth service boxing. The wing detail looks nicer than that on the DH83. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my first one a couple days ago. I like it but not a lot in the box. Found some pics on line that shows a kind of push rod coming from near the wind screen/ side window and attached to the launding gear strut. Apparently this was to rotate the aerofoil section of the leg flat against the airflow and acted as an airbrake for landing.  Also it seems that a mod to the production was an enlarged tail fin/ rudder and an additional strut from the wing to rear attachment point due to wing fluttter causing some mishaps.

• Like 1

Yep I’ve received mine from Hannants now. I agree not much in the box. Not as impressed as I was with their Fox Moth which I enjoyed building very much. The instructions are rudimentary, the British civilian reg letters are in the wrong font and I’m not sure about those for the ‘advertising’option. They even skimped on the box art.

Still, been looking forward to it and the Fox built up beautifully so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. The detachable trailing edge parts mean that you should be able to fold the wings easier at least...

TT

Got mine today. Lovely transperiences and much better wing detail compared to the Fox Moth, but the thickness of the tailplane  trailing edge is disappointing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

but the thickness of the tailplane  trailing edge is disappointing. 

Yes; that was very apparent in the photos of the built example in the RFI section a few weeks ago.  Also, the sides of the engine cowl are too flat and not bulged outwards enough and the oil tank is squashed at it's forward end, which all makes the cowl area look too narrow. Finally, they got the wheel sizes mixed up and put the later fat low pressure tyres on the larger wheels, which should have the narrow high pressure tyres.....

A little niggle about the decals is, there are two tiny red emblems for the tail fin. These are supposed to be the Tiger Club emblem that are black white and yellow and not red as on the sheet.

I agree about the other problems mentioned abut  the tail trailing edges, cowling and oil tank.  But oberall a nice endition of a much sought after subject by me for years.

Will we get a Leopard Moth with the longer undercarriage leg??? And Hornet Moth too!!???

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth by AVI Models - released - new floatplane boxing

New boxing: box art, schemes & decals

- ref. AVI72015 - de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth "in WWII service"

Source: https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=50&controller=product&id_lang=1

185-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

191-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

189-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

- ref. AVI72016 - de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth "on the floats"

Source: https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=49&controller=product&id_lang=1

184-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

193-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

194-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

- ref. AVI72017 - de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth "on the skis"

Source: https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product&id_lang=1

186-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg196-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg
197-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth by AVI Models - released - new DH.80A boxing by LF Models
On 26/02/2020 at 19:11, JWM said:

It is not a problem to replace wheels, but on this drawings wheels are big 

640px-De_Havilland_Puss_Moth_3-view_NACA

but on photos are much smaller

3F9s8IiioCl0L3BNQ9Bbbmf0Y4P6RIP0lRSFX3J7de-havilland-puss-moth-be64fa39-1080-43e

However fast googling reveals one with bigger wheels

VH-UPQ.jpg?itok=Bff49mqu

So maybe it was easy-bush-landing modification of single machine?

Cheers

J-W

The photo clearly shows the slightly bulged engine covers whereas the drawing  above and the kit parts the cowls are very flat making it look too skinny. I rectified this on my build. As for the wheels they are large diameter for easy ones and the smaller ones for probably later production Not really a major issue modelling wise.

• Like 1

Does anyone have information about what that green colour of the Bata aircraft was like? The instructions call for Vallejo 70.850 Medium Olive. There seems to be two kinds of bottles, one has ANA 611 on the label, the other fs 34151. 

Unfortunately LF got the order of the red and blue in a wrong way in the King's Flight G-ABBS scheme, they should be opposite. Oxford made the same mistake with their diecast model.

Yes, the existing b/w photos show a darker lower half of the fuselage and lighter upper half, giving easily a false association of blue lower and red upper colours. This is a common mistake for people who are not familiar how the colours behave on ortho- and panchromatic b/w films. On ortho films the red colour shows like black and blue colour a bit (or more) lighter. G-ABBS (as well as G-ABFV and G-ABNN) had blue upper half and red lower half of the fuselage, and the vertical tail was blue with a red center bar. Fortunately this does not affect on the decals of that scheme.

Regards,

Mika

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2