1/72 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth by AVI Models - released - new DH.80A boxing by LF Models

Homebee

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!  Will definitely get a couple. My fear is though, that prices are rocketing. Noticed the Dora WIngs Proctor family are now nearly 24quid from around 16!!!!

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

My fear is though, that prices are rocketing. Noticed the Dora WIngs Proctor family are now nearly 24quid from around 16!!!!

Their new SM55 flying boat is £64 !!!   Was expecting it to be about £45......

• 2 weeks later...

Several boxing

DH80-A-Puss-Moth.jpg

- ref. AVI72011 - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth over Europe - http://avimodels.com/7211/AVI7211.htm

- ref. AVI72013  - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth over Asia - http://avimodels.com/7213/AVI7213.htm

- ref. AVI72014  - de Havilland DH.80 Puss Moth - Floating & Skiing - http://avimodels.com/7214/AVI7214.htm

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, Paul J said:

Noticed the Dora WIngs Proctor family are now nearly 24quid from around 16!!!!

Just double checking, but that's not the price difference between the 1/48 and 1/72 kits is it? I'm still seeing plenty of the 1/72 kits for around the £14 to £16 mark, and I'm just about to pick up the dual combo Mk III/Vega Gull set for £22 post free. The 1/48 kits appear to be in the £24 bracket. 

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Any news on this chaps?

Ditto! I'm up for a few of these. Looks like a nice kit.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Just double checking, but that's not the price difference between the 1/48 and 1/72 kits is it? I'm still seeing plenty of the 1/72 kits for around the £14 to £16 mark, and I'm just about to pick up the dual combo Mk III/Vega Gull set for £22 post free. The 1/48 kits appear to be in the £24 bracket. 

Steve

The current 1/72 Proctors are now the higher price. I picked one up at Middle wallop for £20..00 .The 48th ones I've seen are in the £40.00 bracket Take a look at the Hannants list.  I expect the Puss moths in 72 will be the same as the Proctors But I will still have a couple though as an essential addition to my collection

6 minutes ago, Paul J said:

The current 1/72 Proctors are now the higher price. I picked one up at Middle wallop for £20..00 .The 48th ones I've seen are in the £40.00 bracket Take a look at the Hannants list.  I expect the Puss moths in 72 will be the same as the Proctors But I will still have a couple though as an essential addition to my collection

Blimey! If that's that's the case, I'm sticking to eBay!

Steve

48 minutes ago, Paul J said:

The current 1/72 Proctors are now the higher price. I picked one up at Middle wallop for £20..00 .The 48th ones I've seen are in the £40.00 bracket Take a look at the Hannants list. 

Dora Wings themselves were selling the 1/72 Proctors for £14 at Telford and also the SM-55 flying boat at £35 vs Hannants price of £64.  Someone is being mightily ripped off.  Not buying any of their kits from British suppliers in future.....

Omega Models have had a nice 1/72 Puss Moth for sale for some years now.

I remember at least one nice build on here  nicely built and displayed in blue.

They are resin and multimedia, which I realise is not everyone’s cup of tea.

Meanwhile I’m beginning to like Resin and Vac Form more and more.

The owner of the Omega business often has offers and if emailed direct, politely, will sometimes offer very good deals.

The Puss Moth In 1/72 is €23. A great variety of boxings. It works out at about £19.60 at the moment direct from the Website. For some reason some resellers often triple or more his prices.

So they sell none, but appear to blame him; yet he has always given me excellent service 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I am beginning to doubt, in my lifetime, if anyone will produce a nice Leopard Moth in 1/72.

I have been away from

the hobby for a couple of years so anything I have missed: most appreciated.

Omega have Vega Gulls and so on too, but yes, all resin.

Best regards

TonyT

Looks like this is slowly progressing... with the initial boxings slightly revised from Homebee's links above (which dont work now for some reason) - 

Three initial Pusses - Over Asia, In Commonwealth Service and Over Europe for which the schemes now seem to have been published:

49588288497_865d7ed6f5_c.jpg143-AviModels_thickbox by Ben Brown, on Flickr

The German machine is an interesting one, actuall I posted a profile of it on my RFI Fox Moth build - it was used as a glider tug and a mate recently bought it's dataplate off ebay from Germany! 

Come on AVI hurry up! :)

TT 

Sources: Hannants - https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?search=puss+moth

AVI - http://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=34&controller=product&id_lang=2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:50 PM, John Aero said:

Hmm those wheels...

It is not a problem to replace wheels, but on this drawings wheels are big 

640px-De_Havilland_Puss_Moth_3-view_NACA

but on photos are much smaller

3F9s8IiioCl0L3BNQ9Bbbmf0Y4P6RIP0lRSFX3J7de-havilland-puss-moth-be64fa39-1080-43e

However fast googling reveals one with bigger wheels

VH-UPQ.jpg?itok=Bff49mqu

So maybe it was easy-bush-landing modification of single machine?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWM said:

It is not a problem to replace wheels, but on this drawings wheels are big 

but on photos are much smaller

However fast googling reveals one with bigger wheels

So maybe it was easy-bush-landing modification of single machine?

Cheers

J-W

Both types were used. The larger wheels with high-pressure tyres came first, but there was a general move to lower -pressure tyres on small wheels around 1931 for civil aircraft generally, which seems to have started in the US with tyre manufacturers like Goodyear and BF Goodrich.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Off the top of my head, I recall that the balloon type tyres are the same as on the Tiger and 19" overall diameter. The narrow tyres are larger overall dia but I will have to rummage to find the correct size. From memory I reckon that they are the same as on the early Gipsy  Moth at 24 inch OD.

I'm somewhat busy with a non aircraft project in 1 to 1 scale at present.

John

• Like 4

Very many years ago I was at Old Warden when (I think it was AZP) landed 'Hot' as the A.S.I had failed. On chatting to the pilot it appeared the Pitot was blocked. On removing the rubber connecting tube we sought something to push down the head (in reverse) to unblock it.

Fortunately I had a roll of thickish solder in the car toolbox. This worked beautifully and out came the offending objects.. Caterpillers..

John

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

First references announced:

- ref. AVI72011 - de Havilland DH-80A Puss Moth "Over Europe"

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AVM72011

AVM72011.jpg

AVM72011-1.jpg

AVM72011-2.jpg

- ref. AVI72013 - de Havilland DH-80A Puss Moth "Over Asia"

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AVM72013

AVM72013.jpg

AVM72013-1.jpg

AVM72013-2.jpg

- ref. AVI72014 - de Havilland DH-80A Puss Moth "In Commonwealth Service"

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AVM72014

AVM72014.jpg

AVM72014-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

From Puss Moth entry on Wikipedia:

"Most famous of the record breaking Puss Moths was Jim Mollison's G-ABXY, "The Heart's Content" which completed the first solo east-west Atlantic crossing in August 1932 from Portmarnock Strand near Dublin to New Brunswick, Canada and the first east-west crossing of the South Atlantic from Lympne Aerodrome to Natal, Brazil in February 1933. His wife, Amy Johnson, made record flights between England and Cape Town using G-ACAB, "Desert Cloud" in 1932."

Tim

• Like 2