Hello everyone I have a question I'm hoping someone might have an answer to. I was researching A-7D’s in Vietnam and found this photo from Wikipedia. 

zz6iKie.jpg

It came from this link. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-7D_Corsair_II_-_69-6241_356th_TFS_at_Korat_1973.jpg

Just what kind of bombs are these ? They look to be some form of Mk.80 series bomb, but with Napalm fins not standard mark 80 type fins ? Any clues out there ? Many thank you’s and much appreciation as always for any answers and help. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

If you're looking for a quick answer Dennis I can repost this on another forum that has a bunch of former Ordinance guys on it. I'd be really interested in knowing myself as I've always wanted to do a 'Nam Air Force SLUF with a shark mouth. This would be a really awesome loadout. Great find!

Its because its not really a clear image, just a either a Mk 83 1000lb or Mk 84 2000lb  bomb, (cant see properly from that angle), whichever it just looks longer as there is a bomb on an inner pylon probably on a MER/TER sticking out in front showing on the photo  making it look longer. if you look carefully you can see the hazard bands on the noses of both bombs. 

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Judging by the size, I'm gonna say they are finned BLU-27A/B 750lbs Fire (napalm) Bombs. Hence the red bands on the nose.

Here are some on a Skyraider:

Hkr6K5h.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
Pikes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Judging by the size, I'm gonna say they are finned BLU-27A/B 750lbs Fire (napalm) Bombs. Hence the red bands on the nose.

That would seem to fit the bill especially as the bombs appear to be round-nosed rather than fitted with a fuse and the fins were optional depending on the effect required hence the difference in colours between body and fin.

Fuzziness of the image maybe gives a different impression but it looks like the inner pylon bombs seem to be on what I have seen described as a 'slant' fit used to give clearance for longer weapons (might not be the proper technical term) - rear bomb is on the rear lower position of an MER with the forward bomb on the forward outer position , outer pylon bomb is fitted directly to the pylon.

• Thanks 1

Dennis,

You might try this site to see if you can match the photo you posted to the type of ordnance. Click on ordnance  in the drop-down box on the LH side, then type of store, then country, then individual store by designation for a description, diagram or photo. It does look like some sort of incendiary round, though, but I'm not well-versed in modern thingies under wings! I have found this site very useful for modeling projects and hope you and others will, too.

Mike

http://bulletpicker.com/index.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whiskey said:

If you're looking for a quick answer Dennis I can repost this on another forum that has a bunch of former Ordinance guys on it.

Yes please, id really like to know what they are ? If they can be scratch built or maybe if they even exist in plastic/resin ? Even though current consensus seems to say BLU-27 series. Please post it for confirmation to type. As well as why they were painted green. Everyone seems to see BLU’s in aluminum or nmf

51 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Its because its not really a clear image, just a either a Mk 83 1000lb or Mk 84 2000lb  bomb, (cant see properly from that angle),

I almost agree with you i can see the two warning bands on the different noses. I thought they might be a Mk.80 series myself probably 83’s. But now that Creepy Pete posted the Skyraider 

photo. They seem very likely to be the same weapon. 

43 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Wow i think that may be them. I think what threw me the most was them being painted ? Im so used to seeing BLU-27’s in silver/aluminum, not used to seeing them in green.  

28 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

You might try this site to see if you can match the photo you posted to the type of ordnance.

Oddly enough just found that website this morning. Never knew it existed before. 🙄 How that would have made my life a lot easier over the last few years. 

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think they're Napalm too. painted green rather than the usual metal.

Thanks I'm starting to lean that way ? I think its the green paint that threw me the most ? 

Many Thanks to everyone for posting and helping. 

Dennis

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Here are some on a Skyraider:

Totally agree with Pete. The photo is not clear, but the fin shape is characteristic of the BLU-1/27 and the size also matches.

The BLU-1/27 is listed on page 1-128 of the A-7K Aircraft Weapon Delivery Manual.

spacer.png

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Thanks 1

Found this photo on page 16 of Double Ugly book, LTV A-7D/K Corsair II The 'SLUF' in USAF and USANG Service 1968-1993. Famous Aircraft of the USAF and USANG Vol.1, in which the caption says "A-7D 69-6241 of the 355th TFS, 354th TFW awaits its next mission in its revetment at Korat RTAFB,
laden with six BLU-27 fire bombs with fins."

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The link takes me to your albums @Junchan. They are some wonderful collections of photo’s, thanks for sharing them. Did you mean the caption is for my original photo ? If so that would be great news. 

Dennis

Yes, this photo means the photo exactly the same as your original post, but of a bit better quality than yours.

Glad to know you like my Flickr photo album.

Jun in Tokyo

Edited by Junchan
  • Thanks 1

While researching A-7’s i came across two photo’s of very early A-7D -2 & -3’s with Navy style refueling probes ? 1st one is 5th picture down on this link Ser.# 68-8224. The second A-7 68-6226 is the 7th photo down. 

https://readtiger.com/wkp/en/List_of_LTV_A-7_Corsair_II_operators

The second one is from Luke Air force base. Photo is from wikipedia ? Sorry not the clearest photo. 

IoFGjzq.png

Im guessing these were pre-production test aircraft ? Or super early aircraft before the boom receptacle system was installed. Any guesses ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

While researching A-7’s i came across two photo’s of very early A-7D -2 & -3’s with Navy style refueling probes ? 1st one is 5th picture down on this link Ser.# 68-8224. The second A-7 68-6226 is the 7th photo down. 

https://readtiger.com/wkp/en/List_of_LTV_A-7_Corsair_II_operators

The second one is from Luke Air force base. Photo is from wikipedia ? Sorry not the clearest photo. 

Im guessing these were pre-production test aircraft ? Or super early aircraft before the boom receptacle system was installed. Any guesses ? 

Dennis

The first 16 A-7Ds had the Navy style refueling probe.

Regards,

Murph

• Thanks 1

What Murph said.

The three prototype YA-7Ds and the first 16 production birds retained the probes.  68-6226 was one of these early airframes.  At last report (circa 2007) it is on display at a veterans' hall in Indiana.

• Thanks 1