“A Typhoon with bite!” - Completed

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Wow wow wow wow!

Now that's how you paint a Tiffy!

Did you go for MRP for the Dark green, 'cause it looks a bit dark to me or maybe it's just pictures taken whith flash on?

thanks

arrr yeah I've tried taking photos with the flash on, they are a wee bit better but yes they do do strange things with the colour. There is quite a bit of contrast with the Green & Grey but the photos seem to accentuated it a bit. In real life they are much better (on my Mac they are as well).

The Sturmtiger is finished and I'm now back on this. I've started on sorting out the lower colour but it wasn't quite as simple as it seemed. I resprayed it with MRP Mid Sea Grey, but unfortunately going over a darker undersurface changed it colour as opposed to when I strayed it on the flaps & U/c doors caused it to darken up a bit. To fix this I tried re-spraying the underside with a misting of white.....and that didn't quite work either!

IMG_3301-L.jpg 

Now it's too light, so I'll re-mist the MRP Med Sea Grey again and hopefully everything will be fine...........fingers crossed. A good thing the MRP paint is so fine, brings back memories of the Tomcat! You may notice I've managed to brake one of the flaps in the meantime! :wall:

Once the underside is sorted I need to re-do the green on the chin/radiator, I didn't quite get it right originally, that's a simple fix. Then I'll do the yellow leading edges, then the rest should be quite quick to finish.

I'm pretty happy with were I'm at with her, in the next few days I should get her almost complete, with luck. Though on Saturday my son will be down to pick up his new car, more money than sense, has bought an Audi RS3!!! May finally have something to match my HSV! :devil:

• Like 2

the re-paint sorted it all out!

Have done some more to her, have decided not to paint the insignia as the masks are not the right size and custom made ones maybe a bit problematic in this case. Final painting is done and a gloss coat done.

Photos in next update.

ok it all started off so good but has turned to  :poop:  and now there is a real possibility I may not be able to complete her in time due to possible work stuff!!

The re-paint of the underside turned out really well the match is pretty good, not quite an exact match but with the doors and flap at different angles you won’t notice.

IMG_3303-L.jpg

IMG_3304-L.jpg

Now the demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces is a bit more defined.

IMG_3305-L.jpg

The outer leading edges of the wings were then painted yellow...

IMG_3306-L.jpg

...and then last thing a coat of gloss……..which has made the textured surface (the resin surface is really textured for some reason and is/was super hard to get even slightly smooth) quite noticeable compared to when it was a semi-flat surface. A flat coat and some weathering will hide most of it, but it does look quite rough at the moment…….which is the least of my issues!!!

Ok after curing overnight decal time…….and this is where it all goes off rails in a big way!  The decals are horrible!!! :wall:

They appear and go on as though they are really think, but in fact they’re quite thin, the colours are solid and in a fashion the stick quite well and that’s all the good things I can say about them!!

It doesn't look to bad here.

IMG_3316-L.jpg

On a totally flat surface or just an even rounded surface they’re fine, but any surface with a slight 3 dimensional curve and they won’t play the game! The fuselage sides have a tiny amount of curve change length and height wise and the decals wouldn’t flatten at all, they wanted to bunch up in one spot. I almost had to slit them to get them to conform, and drowning them in decal softener doesn’t do much at all. What also didn’t help was that the checker fuselage band was made up of perfectly even squares that don’t take into account the change of diameter of the fuselage!! I managed to hide this underneath.

IMG_3317-L.jpg

This didn’t bode well for the Sharks mouth!

I’ll let the photo tell the story!!

IMG_3318-L.jpg

Even with lots of safety cuts of the edges to help it conform it just started to break up over the curves, or try to bunch up then break apart. There was no way as they were that the top and bottom ends were ever going to line up where they should. All that happened was the decal would break up more each time it was touched.

I have this sneaking suspicion that these decals were just scaled up from the 1/72nd, 1/48th ones, else they would have straight away realised that they were never going to fit this model!

What to do……..

I still had the teeth decals and the other sides red part of the mouth, I made copies of these as I thought I may be able to make up some masks for the red part. But the teeth just won’t fit either plus I can see them doing the same thing, breaking up into a thousand pieces. Plus looking at the picture of the real thing the proportions and positions just don’t seem to match up here!

IMG_3319-L.jpg

….well only one thing to do, re-do the whole mouth from scratch. I’ll mask up the whole lot and paint it, that way I can get the position and proportions right. I do notice that there are some changes in the shape of the mouth between the earlier and later pictures of the mouth. Maybe this is when the red was added? 

All this is going to take some time to do right, luckily she a 1/32ndbeast, it would have been much harder to do in those smaller scales (even more so with those horrible decals!).

So I’ll finish off the remaining decals, do the panel lines and give her a nice coat of flat before I make a start on the mouth. I think I may struggle to finish her in time, I’ll try but I won’t rush it.

Who said model making was a relaxing hobby!! :fight:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

And it's such a lovely build, those decals truly are a mess. Looks like you conquered most of the decals, but that shark mouth is a right mess indeed! I think that painting them will come out far better than expect, as the decals are not even close to the proper shape, even the number of teeth is probably off. You can make it look great, and accurate by doing the design on your own. Airfix should be embarrassed by the mess they created. Keep your head up high, we have faith in your ability to get it right, even better actually.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Shocker, those decals are awful, masking off will be a pain but worth it in the long run, I am useless with even good quality decals so I usually use masks and paint markings.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

I have been give it quite a bit of thought I how I'll actually do it. My hand painting skills aren't up to the task I'm afraid. Masking I much more my thing, plus I can get the shape right before any paint goes on.

So I'll mask up for the white first, then mask for the red, then the black I may actually try and do by hand. Looking closely at the black it's quite uneven some hard painting maybe the way to go with it. But there'll be a coat of clear on before that just incase I stuff it up, will be much easier to redo that way.

I'm spending sometime on my Sukhoi at the moment but may make a start it Monday of Tuesday, will see how it goes.

• Like 2

ok time to sort out the wee fellas dental issues, a quick hit of the gas (that’s for me) and off we go.

The masking job was a reasonably simple task just time consuming. I had paper copies of the mouth but they of course won’t go around complex shapes, the decals have no cut lines either so no help here either.

So the out lines are freehand masking aligned to the few reference makes I had to work off. Once done the white was sprayed. I’m using Mr Paints for this as it’s super thin I won’t get (or very little) build of paint on the edges of the masks.

Next up the red mouth, first I masked up the wide of the lips as best I could, again working from the copies, the black lines on the lips will be added last. The teeth were cut out individually using the decal copies for the correct shape and size. How they sit on a flat decal is very different to how they fit on the actual surface!!!

The red was then painted then as soon as that was dried a section was masked off for the underside grey. The way the mouth was originally do was a bit different, the red was done first and the lower part of it matched the demarcation line of the Dark Green of the chin scoop. The white part of the mouth however was run under the chin opening, so a small section of the underside Grey could be seen between the teeth. It’s just noticeable in the photos and is explained in the text with them.

The patient was allowed to recover for all of a couple of minutes as I was dying to see how it all turned out…….

IMG_3327-L.jpg

….and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the results!!! Much better than what could have been achieved with those rotten decals. Plus it was a first for me, I haven’t done a masking/paint job like this before so am real happy with the results.

IMG_3329-L.jpg

IMG_3331-L.jpg

The Black to the lips will be done tomorrow, have decided to mask that instead of freehand painting, will get a much better result.

IMG_3330-L.jpg

She does look pretty colourful and bright, but a nice coat of flat will sort that out. Once the Black is done I’ll then finish off the decals. I maybe down to only a few days work left to do on her!

• Like 7

cheers, though good to see these decals let me down again!

anyway just a wee update…. And I hate these decals! :rant:

Masking time for the black around the mouth, walkways, and behind the cockpit, 3 small jobs and an awful lot of masking! Nearly 3 hours in fact!!! (take note of the roundels!)

IMG_3339-L.jpg

So what do you get for almost 3 hours of masking and 90 seconds of painting??

IMG_3341-L.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, it isn’t meant to be an even black line at all, looks to have been a pretty rough brush job from the photos. I wasn’t game enough to tempt the brush so a masking/spray job it was.

Starting painting and sorting out all the smaller stuff as well.

IMG_3340-L.jpg

opps battery was dying!

….and finally this mess! Both wing decals started to chip and touch-up wasn’t really an option, so off they came. Typical in some spots they stuck like glue!

IMG_3342-L.jpg

I’m tossing up whether to just make up some masks and paint them or to use the ones that came with the model. These Aviaeology ones are pieces of :poop: , I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Far simpler and less stressful to just mask up th Sharks mouth, even in 1/72nd!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I wasn’t game enough to tempt the brush so a masking/spray job it was.

Excellent work so far. :clap2:... If by some chance you ever are game enough to try something like this check these brushes out. 

https://www.dickblick.com/products/kafka-design-pinstriping-brushes/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=05573-1005&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu96P9NmO5AIVy16GCh1uywFuEAkYASABEgKHsvD_BwE

There are videos I'm sure on Youtube explaining it better than i can, something like this. Im guessing that the real thing was painted by a pinstripe or sign artist back in WW2. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work so far. :clap2:... If by some chance you ever are game enough to try something like this check these brushes out. 

https://www.dickblick.com/products/kafka-design-pinstriping-brushes/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=05573-1005&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu96P9NmO5AIVy16GCh1uywFuEAkYASABEgKHsvD_BwE

There are videos I'm sure on Youtube explaining it better than i can, something like this. Im guessing that the real thing was painted by a pinstripe or sign artist back in WW2. 

Dennis

I've seen some of these guy's and other works.....I'm a pure amateur!!!

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I have some Aviaeology decals for a Banff Wing Mosquito but I’ll think twice before using them now.

Hope the kit roundels work out better.

John

you'll be fine as long as they're flat or single curved surfaces. Else you'll just have to be really careful and used decal solution. I used the Mr. Hobby stuff which can be quite aggressive on some decals, but in this case the softener barely did anything!! 

I ha planned to use masks for the roundels but the upper wing ones were too small. I still may paint them, I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 09:35, trickyrich said:

I’m tossing up whether to just make up some masks and paint them or to use the ones that came with the model. These Aviaeology ones are pieces of :poop: , I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Far simpler and less stressful to just mask up the Sharks mouth, even in 1/72nd!

That's strange that the Aviaeology decals behaved in this way. I just used the Outriders Mosquito set for my 333Sqn Banff Mossie and there they worked like a charm. A lot better than the Tamiya stencils, even though the Aviaeology stencils were a little miss aligned in the white and red print. They do tear easily unfortunately!

Your Tiffy is coming a long just fine though!

20 hours ago, Christer A said:

That's strange that the Aviaeology decals behaved in this way. I just used the Outriders Mosquito set for my 333Sqn Banff Mossie and there they worked like a charm. A lot better than the Tamiya stencils, even though the Aviaeology stencils were a little miss aligned in the white and red print. They do tear easily unfortunately!

These decals are really weird, at first I thought they may have been too thick hence the problems I had with them. But they're actually really thin, its just there is no play in them. On flat and simple curved surfaces they should and probably do work quite nicely, maybe small ones on small complex curves will work. But on a set of curves like on the nose of the Typhoon they just have no give in them and will split as soon as you look at them (for that matter even thea simple complex curve as in the fuselage was too much for them). Even drowning them in setting and softening solutions do nothing to make them more pliable.

The other thing I found when trying to remove the wing decals in that they adhered unevenly (the reason why I had to remove them). I may have been a bad batch, but there were other issues that really let them down. 

Anyway back to the update....and it'll be the last as well! The end is in sight and I can’t wait! She is starting to become work trying to sort out the final bit and pieces.

I ended up deciding to mask and paint the roundels as it would be easier and less troublesome than using another set of decals. So a quick re-mask and touch-up first……

IMG_3351-L.jpg

….followed by some paint and there we go. 

IMG_3352-L.jpg

I should have done this from the start! The only issue is that I didn’t rub back the surface where the decals were and it now shows up quite rough. I can’t be bothered for now doing anymore. If it does start to really bug me later one then I’ll just rub back the whole wing (should have in the first place) and re-do the whole lot.

She does look good though, time for the flat coat.

IMG_3353-L.jpg

Right now she had the U/C fitted, canopy, exhausts, rudder (for the 3rd or 4thtime!! :doh:  ), plus the rocket rails are just sitting there for the moment.

IMG_3356-L.jpg

The flat coat has definitely improved her look.

IMG_3358-L.jpg

IMG_3359-L.jpg

IMG_3360-L.jpg

One thing I’m still not sure of is what should be the colour of the insides on the radiator opening? I can’t for the life of me find a reference to it. I may go off and have a look at the instructions of the 1/24thAirfix beast to see if that helps.

IMG_3357-L.jpg

I now need to do the weathering bit, again not too sure how far to go. References don’t mention too much about the aircrafts general condition other than the black step pads were rough and very worn….not a great help. Will start and see how I go.

I will though mist some super thinned white (or similar) over the upper surfaces to fade them down a wee bit, side and underneath will be left as is.

Seeing this scheme is for the Post VE Day aircraft I my leave off the rockets and just leave the rails in place. Would hate for a rocket to go off and hit one of those pesky Ruskies!

Plus there are lots of other wee things to finish. Hopefully I can before Saturday as I want to show her at the club meeting, so next update will be the gallery photos

• Like 4

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

One thing I’m still not sure of is what should be the colour of the insides on the radiator opening? I can’t for the life of me find a reference to it. I may go off and have a look at the instructions of the 1/24thAirfix beast to see if that helps.

The radiator insides should at the front match the outside colors, and at the rear the underside, that's what the 1/24 instructions, Eduards Tiffy-instructions and IIRC some references over here says as well.

Which would mean dark green in this case.

Painted markings IS the way to go in the bigger scales, that's for sure. Hmm, I really need to order a set of masks for my 1/32 Tempest now when I'm thinking about it.

Can't wait to see this one finished!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

The radiator insides should at the front match the outside colors, and at the rear the underside, that's what the 1/24 instructions, Eduards Tiffy-instructions and IIRC some references over here says as well.

Which would mean dark green in this case.

Painted markings IS the way to go in the bigger scales, that's for sure. Hmm, I really need to order a set of masks for my 1/32 Tempest now when I'm thinking about it.

Can't wait to see this one finished!

Thanks for that. I had a set for the Typhoon but the upper wing roundels were too small, should be the 60" type but it they are much smaller than that and looked all wrong.

29 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The roundels look pretty good to me in the photos, the flat finish certainly helps even things out. Is that W&N Galleria matt or have you found something equally as good?

The paint is same local stuff, SMS Lacquer Clear Flat, it's nice stuff and goes super flat, much like my fav Mr. Paint stuff. Don't know if it's available outside of Oz.

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au

• Like 2

……and she’s done!!!

Despite her best efforts at giving me grief in the final stages of the build, she relented and I’m pretty happy with the results. It wasn’t the easiest of builds and there are quite a few things I’d do different again, but for the most part it was an enjoyable one.

For the moment I’ll be leaving the rockets off as per one of the photos I have of her in this scheme, but I will fit them at a late stage.

For the second one I have in the stash, I just need to acquire the old Revell Car Door version for the few donor parts I need to build one of the 3 RAAF Typhoons tested in the Middle East.

Thanks for following the build, as usual I’ll try and post different photos in the gallery and RFI sections.

IMG_3363-XL.jpg

IMG_3367-XL.jpg

IMG_3376-XL.jpg

IMG_3380-XL.jpg

IMG_3383-XL.jpg

IMG_3385-XL.jpg

Plus a couple of photo’s with her big brother.

IMG_3386-XL.jpg

IMG_3390-XL.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Christer A said:

Aviaeology decals behaved in this way

Just out of curiosity as the noob, I wonder if the surface prep can be the evil in this mix. Seems to me, there are no limits to the combination of paints, clears and solutions that, in theory, would effect a decal. Maybe this is one of those situations where the top coat caused the problem, and the solution exasperated the situation?

I have no idea what is true and correct, and I have seen no amount of varied results by modelers, some pro brand, others absolutely against a brand based on individual results. This of course leads to no confidence among the new guys, worried that we will foul up our decals out of sheer fear and inexperience. 👉👉👉this guy👈👈👈

On 8/19/2019 at 3:35 PM, trickyrich said:

It looks pretty good to me

And it looks pretty more than good to the rest of us as well! What a beauty!

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Those empty rocket rails look rather menacing, or is it just me? Also, funny thing those roundels, in most cases, we want the decals to look like paint, and in this instance, the paint looks like decals that look like paint! Is that a double positive? Double negative? Either way, they are perfect😁

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Added content

thanks.

The issues with the decals were with the decals and nothing else. Either I got a bad set or more what I think is that the decal material was quite inflexible. Decals can vary like colours in the rainbow when it comes to manufacturers. Some decals I've used would almost go over a sphere perfectly without breaking or coming part, others like these ones just start to come apart over the simplest of 2D curves. Paints and clear coat really only affect the adhesion while setting/softening solutions can literally melt a decal in some cases.

Generally the decals you get in most kits are pretty good, it's some of the smaller AM makers that can make decaling "interesting"!!