“A Typhoon with bite!” - Completed

trickyrich

right after some time off this one some good progress….though not quite as easy as I had hoped!

ok the cockpit is all done and I forgot photos…again! :doh: You can sort of see a wee bit here, but even in real you just can’t see all that much , sort of why I stopped doing any more work on it. It looks cool, even if I do eventually have the canopy open…more on that later.

IMG_3113-L.jpg

Ok with that done I could finally close up the fuselage. First lots more test fitting was required, I really needed to know how it was all going to fit, with CA glue there’s really no second chance! One area I found of concern was the fuselage join under the cockpit. To help align this I used small plastic strip blocks (sorry about the photo, the battery was going flat).

The fuselage was glued in sections with CA Accelerator to set everything in place.

The only area that needed any extra work was at the base of the tail fin, there was a rather large gap there, which I knew about. More CA glue and accelerator sorted that out, some light sanding and all the joins were basically done.

IMG_3112-L.jpg

I was so happy with that I went straight onto the wings…..the joy of work with resin and CA glue, super fast assembly! Again the same process, lots of test fitting & adjusting then planning how to do the joins. For this I’d do it in stages, the top of the wings glued first then adjust and glue the lower side. 

The LH wing went on first, no issues, then the RHS which I though would give me issues but actually went on quite well. I lined up the undersides and glued, so far so good….not quite!

Viewed for the front the LH wing was pointed up by quite a bit! Again with the joy of CA glue/accelerator everything wasn’t going to move so with a razor saw I cut the top joint of the LH wing and fitted a shim to get the wing level correct, then re-glued, a quick sanding and sorted!

IMG_3111-L.jpg

Other than the spacer the join was really good, just some more minor finishing work required.

The RH wing which was the problem one with warping, is actually really good, again minor cleaning up work required here.

IMG_3109-L.jpg

IMG_3110-L.jpg

The underside wing joins were the worse but they’re again pretty much done, just some minor filling and more cleaning up required.

IMG_3108-L.jpg

One noticeable issues I did find was that the radiator profile was lop-sided when viewed from front one, with the LH side being the issue. I’ve sanding it back and it’s pretty much spot on now.

IMG_3117-L.jpg

I now need to spend some time going over all the joins and making sure they’re all good, but the big tasks are all done which is great. The tail surfacers are all good so they’ll go on next.

There are some gaps on the insides of the flaps at the wing joins, I’ll fill those with either CA or filler.

She does look good now, have been flying her about. So some time to be spent of cleaning her up now, next big step will be painting her.

IMG_3107-L.jpg

Oh and with regards to the canopy, I’ve bought a Squadron Vacform one, which I’ll use, I’m probably now going to have it open too. I’ve been practising building canopy frame on my Su-24.

Plus on a very annoying note I missed out on the Airfix 1/24th beasty on the weekend at my local IPMS meeting, was selling for 45 pounds!!! Only missed on it buying by a couple of minutes as well!

• Like 9

45£ for a 1/24 Tiffy is a bargain! I hope you can bag the next one 😃

Gosh, I've been avoiding to look into the group builds for a month or so and look at what you've done! This is what progress looks like, not at all like my glacial pace...

Superb job!

• Like 1

mmm the guy said he could have sold it 5 or 6 times over! He just wanted to get ride of it. It wasn't all bad news I managed to get the 1/48th Kinetic Polish Air Force F-16D for a good price and have the 2014 Tiger Meet decals on the way. Will look great beside the C model in 2013 colours.

• Like 2

I’ve done a little bit more to her, just tiding up all the joins and filling gaps as I find them.

Both sides wing root joins are pretty much done now, ready for the primer test. I’m just for the moment using only CA cement to fill gaps, it makes the whole process very quick and you get no shrinkage as with normal filler.

IMG_3125-L.jpg

IMG_3127-L.jpg

The gaps on the underside have been finished as well, the carburettor intake needed quite of bit of filling as the gaps were quite large, I used plastic strip for this. I’ve done one side and need to do the other.

IMG_3126-L.jpg

AS I was working around this area I noticed some bubbles just hidden under the surface of the chin opening, I drilled these out and filled with CA cement. These are the only bubbles I’ve encounter on the whole model.

IMG_3131-L.jpg

The rear control surfaces have been fitted, the moving surfaces will be pinned in place to give them strength.

IMG_3122-L.jpg

I knew I’d break something along the way….and it turned out to be the armoured headrest!!  Least you can sort of see the IP now…….I’ll leave it off until I’ve finished all the tiding up stuff.

IMG_3133-L.jpg

I started to play around with the prop, one of the blades is a wee bit warped so I need to fix that. The openings in the spinner cone are a bit large and the wrong shape. Not too sure if I’ll try to fix it or leave it as is….maybe safer that way!

IMG_3134-L.jpg

IMG_3135-L.jpg

Am getting closer to painting, but I still haven’t received the paints I ordered, my supplier was out of stock so their order has to come from Slovakia. I thought of would have thought they’d send me the stuff in stock and send the other stuff later!  Oh well…….

• Like 6

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Am getting closer to painting, but I still haven’t received the paints I ordered, my supplier was out of stock so their order has to come from Slovakia. I thought of would have thought they’d send me the stuff in stock and send the other stuff later!  Oh well…….

Apologies if that was HM Hobbies, I've been busy hoovering up their stocks of MRP this past week... 😃

Great progress, you have to admit resin kits do polish up well!

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Apologies if that was HM Hobbies, I've been busy hoovering up their stocks of MRP this past week... 😃

Great progress, you have to admit resin kits do polish up well!

Alan

:D

Nah it's my lot in Melbourne, I've been hovering up their stock as well!

• Like 2

That looks ever so familiar, I even broke off the headrest as well, but it is looking ever so good and makes me want to get stuck into another one, but the 1/24 Airfix version this time.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It does look very lovely in all it's resin glory!

Not totally convinced about the carburator intake though. It looks a lot more circular in crossection than what I remember from the 1/24 Airfix one.

I'll hope the primer gets splashed on soon!

On 6/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, trickyrich said:

:D

Nah it's my lot in Melbourne, I've been hovering up their stock as well!

So it is YOU why all the paint I want is out of stock ;)

Great progress Rich :thumbsup: I enjoy following your build. Building a resin kit is a bit like renovating a house - you never know how things end up going together - or not.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

who me???? :whistle: :D

Mmmm it's a bit frustrating waiting to get the paint I need, I may just have a go at sourcing what I need from the guy in Croatia. Will be a lot quicker, should have done that originally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been a bit slack progress wise, besides having a cold last week I’ve run out of mojo on the model front and haven’t done an awful lot these past weeks….well by my normal standard that is.

So more tiding up of everything plus I fitted most of the control surfacers, they’re all pinned in place to “try” and help me from knocking them off as I normally do! 

That done a coat of primer to see what else was required….

IMG_3161-L.jpg

……and as usual with primer all the sins are revealed, luckily not that many (it doesn't look too bad in primer!).

Found another pimple/bubble on the chin…

IMG_3163-L.jpg

….some of the joins on the underside were a bit ordinary…….

IMG_3162-L.jpg

…..plus a couple of the upper wing joins.

IMG_3164-L.jpg

IMG_3165-L.jpg

The main doors are finally cleaned up and I’ve started on the prop as well.

IMG_3166-L.jpg

All in all not too bad, I also need to re-scribe some panel lines as well.

IMG_3167-L.jpg

The new canopy has arrived for her as well, it’s much nicer than the supplied one, you can actually see the frame and where you need to cut it. Plus it is a bit thicker as well which will help with removing it as well as opening it up. I’ve decided to have the canopy open on her.

IMG_3168-L.jpg

IMG_3169-L.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo.

Still no sign of the paint I need, the guy in Croatia is also out of the colours I need. Hopefully they’ll arrive in time!

• Like 7

You are correct, she looks very nice under a coat of primer. Looking forward to the fun part when the paint starts flying, no doubt she will look even more stunning that she already does. Sucks about the cold, I have one as well, talk about sucking the motivation out of your bones, I have had no interest in working on my tectonic build, I am using the lack of a primer as my excuse, but it is only a half truth.

Anyway, when you start throwing paint, maybe I can get out of my funk, and get some progress done as well. I bought some Vallejo primer and their airforce paint set on Facebook yesterday, but the seller had gone suspiciously quiet since I sent the money. I hope that he is just busy and didn't steal my money, cross your fingers for me.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Ok more progress on her today. She’s been re-primed again and given one final rub-down and she’s pretty much ready for painting.

So scary time, time to cut out the canopy!!! Even with a brand new scalpel blade it was hard going. The plastic was quite thin and hard, I almost had to get the razor saw out! But in the end I managed to get it cut out without any damage. It’s all shaped and ready to fit, I’ll first try out CA glue on the leftovers to see if I get any clouding. If there is then I’ll probably epoxy it into place.

IMG_3213-L.jpg

I was already to paint the spinner when I was going over the painting instructions and found this!!

IMG_3209-L.jpg

That opening is completely wrong, not something I could easily forget about. I thought these had variable pitch props?

IMG_3210-L.jpg

Right out with the plastic card and the resin builders best friend…CA cement!!! A short time later…..try a couple of hours!

IMG_3211-L.jpg

Looks much better, wasn’t the easiest of tasks. More primer and a final rub down and she’s ready for painting, finally!

IMG_3212-L.jpg

Ok the cannons are now fitted, I’ve broken the rudder off!  :wall:  She’s almost ready for painting now, one final going over, some more primer and a quick rubdown and that’s it.

IMG_3214-L.jpg

IMG_3215-L.jpg

The paint I wanted still isn’t here so I’m going to have to go with plan #2 and use Tamiya paints. I won’t be able to get the super smooth/thin covering I can with the Mr. Paint stuff, but it’ll be close. I can’t afford to wait any long as time is getting away and I’ll be starting my trips away very soon. Actually I think the Tamiya paint may actually give me the finish I’m after this time, have fingers crossed. All going well I’ll be painting her this weekend!

• Like 8

Coming along nicely Rich. The Spinner mod does make a big difference.

I found Gunze Mr. Color (not the acrylic stuff) heavily thinned with leveling thinner (80 to 90% thinner) has very similar properties to MRP and their RAF colours are reasonably accurate. That could be another option.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I haven't tried there enamel based paint, but the Tamiya stuff thinned right back with their lacquer thinner should do the trick nicely. just would have been nice to have used the MRP stuff, well at least I'll have some for later projects......eventually!

• Like 1

Gunse Mr. Color isn't enamel based paint, but lacquer as the MRP paint. It paints as nicely as the MPR stuff, but as I said, it needs a lot of thinning as it is rather thick in the bottle.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

I find that the Tamiya paint is very thick as well, I usually tip half it out before I start to thin it. I know it's a bit waste full, but at least I know I have the perfect mix each time I spray it.

ok just a wee update on this, am trying to get the Sturmtiger done (in the background)!

So first up the prop is pretty well done, just a touch of weathering to be done right at the end. The scheme is for this aircraft June 1945, so the original black spinner was replaced with a blue one (to match the fuselage band) with white backing plate.

IMG_3232-L.jpg

In addition the main gear doors and intake centre will also painted blue as per the aircraft at this time period.

I struck it lucky with the new canopy, it doesn't react at all with CA cement, which is nice. So they were masked up, painted inside and the front sectioned fitted. Needed very little clean up. While I was at it I added two strips of plastic to the main canopy rails, this will allow me to secure the main canopy securely when I fit it, I'll post photos next up date. She's been given a final coat of primer, just needs a light rubdown and I can start painting her.

IMG_3235-L.jpg

I'm not too concerned about time at the moment, I'll finish the Sturmtiger this week hopefully.

• Like 9

woohoo.... my paint has finally arrived  :yahoo:  .......................after 2 months!  :undecided:

............just a pity i'm currently stuck out in NW Australia for the next week or so! The Sturmtiger is painted so normal service should be resumed shortly on this build.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Normal service has resumed……sort of.

I’ve got to a stage where I needed to let my wee panzer sit for a bit so I decided to do a little bit more on this while I waited….and got a bit carried away…..she’s now painted!

So first up my “normal” wiggly panel line job….am so hopeless at doing straight lines. Plus I also painted the inside of the main gear doors. I didn’t know this but Typhoons (and prob other aircraft as well) in this period immediately after VE day had these painted in the squadron colours, for 245Sqn it’s this mid-blue colour. The carburettor intake face was also painted this colour.

IMG_3260-L.jpg

I ended up deciding to go with Tamiya paint for the main colours instead of the MRP paint only because the MRP paint is just sooo fine. The Tamiya will provide better coverage and hide some of the resin sins! So Medium Sea Grey for the undersurfaces, then Ocean Grey for to upper. 

IMG_3261-L.jpg

Next up the vinyl masks for the scheme. They actually went on fairly easily for masks, none of the dramas I usually have with masks, which is a nice change. Before the Dark Green I quickly went over the panel lines again this time with Flat Black.

The results didn’t look to bad…….

IMG_3262-L.jpg

….. time to take off the mask and see how she looks…….

IMG_3263-L.jpg

………Impressive!

IMG_3265-L.jpg

IMG_3266-L.jpg

Paint job wise I’m very happy, a couple of wee spots with over spray but otherwise perfect…….once I remember to paint the grey of the rear of the cockpit!

My only concern is that in the flesh the underside MSG looks a bit dark, a rough check with the MRP paint seems to confirm that. The upper, which I though may have been too light is an almost perfect match with the equivalent MRP & Mr Hobby paints. So I may just go over the underside with a light coat of MRP to just lighten it up a bit.

To be honest this is the first RAF scheme I’ve done (not what I normally build at all) so I’m just going with what the instructions mentions (both MDC and decal lot just mention colour and not specific paint manuf.) and paint conversion tables. These photos will no doubt be completely different one everyone’s monitors, there’s a huge difference on mine (one’s colour calibrated the other 2 are not).

All that aside she’ll be quite colourful when done.

IMG_3264-L.jpg

Anyway I need to put her aside for a little bit to finish off the tiger. The next job though will be to mask her up for the insignia’s and yellow leading edge. But I will need to push on with her (and the tiger) as time is running out and with my work schedule there is a chance I may run out of time. :frantic:

• Like 9

Good to see an undate with a nice jump in progress, she looks really good to me. I would not know the difference in colors, whether she is a perfect match or not, never done an RAF kit either, in fact, I still don't have a single kit built since my return to modeling. Still waiting on some parts for my airbrush setup before I can resume my F-15A, so your progress is still much faster than mine, that's a good thing😁.

Hope you get both done before your work locks you out of the bench room. Cheers!

Anthony

• Thanks 1

thanks....i've made huge progress on the Sturmtiger, so should get back to her very soon. Was out most of the day on Sydney harbour on a 52' cruiser, a nice way to spend a Sunday.

58719396529__3DC9BED1-E77E-46DF-A93E-5C1

Was actually a nice day out, even if it felt like sub-zero to me!!! :cold: And no the small children/Demon Spawn are not mine!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:cold: And no the small children/Demon Spawn are not mine!

You'd probably not freeze then for chasing them around :devil:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1