“A Typhoon with bite!” - Completed

trickyrich

Well my first post for this build and a big one to start with, lots to go over…… plus it’s not quite going to be a straight forward build I had planned for.

I had a good look at the second model and unfortunately on close inspection it has issues as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that the second model is a later release and the original one is a very early release. There are quite a few differences between the models in the resin used, the original is a mix and match of different resins while the new one appears to be the one type of resin.

IMG_2910-L.jpg

IMG_2911-L.jpg

The second model comes with additional rockets (it was basically an unopened model) while the first doesn’t, I won't use these as they are the Mk.I type mounts which were used up to around the beginning of 45. My scheme being mid 45 had the later Mk.3 type mounts. I'll keep these for the next build.

IMG_2909-L.jpg

And the original model has brass U/c legs while the second one has White Metal.

IMG_2913-L.jpg

All the reviews I’ve read (and photos seen) match all these differences to the second model. Plus the quality of the moulds seem to point to this as well, the second may have been refined a wee bit. 

Anyway……. I’ve decided to used both models to build one good one, the leftovers will be used with a Revell donor model to build my RAAF “Car Door” version.

Ok there’s some warping on some of the new bit’s but I’m not worried about that for now, the original bit is most cases will be fine.

The fuselages, at first sight appeared to be ok...

IMG_2915-L.jpg

.......but when compared!!!

IMG_2916-L.jpg

The new one was held together in the box with rubber bands, which may or may not have attributed to the fuselage flattening out!!

I though a quick bath in really hot water like the original would do the trick….well no!! It emerged like limp spaghetti!!  :yikes:   After a slight panic and mild heart attack I managed to recover it…….., it’s ok but I’ll be using the old fuselage.

Similar issue with the wings….

IMG_2914-L.jpg

Ok the wings, the warped parts of the old RH wing, I managed to straighten them out further with hot water, but the end plates (for the wheel wells) still would fit correctly.

As can be seen I had to add some extra support as I began cracking parts of the wing stretching bit.

IMG_2889-L.jpg

IMG_2888-L.jpg

To help with the straightening I made a new end plate out of brass plate. It’s the exact size as the resin part and as can be seen it doesn’t fit….

IMG_2890-L.jpg

IMG_2891-L.jpg

So after another quite hot bath things are finally fitting.

IMG_2892-L.jpg

The wing now has the correct profile, I can go back and use the resin part now.

IMG_2893-L.jpg

Ok to fix the remaining unevenness in the wing, which is now a very minor job,  I’ll just fill and sand it. I will do this slowly and with just light coats of filler to help prevent shrinkage.

IMG_2932-L.jpg

Because the trailing edge will become too thin in places I’ve added some 0.010 plastic strip on the inside of the flap area to make this up. If necessary I can easily add more to build it up.

IMG_2933-L.jpg

To this some filler is added, again light coats to prevent shrinkage. This is the simplest way to sort out the wing issues.

IMG_2934-L.jpg

The interior module is made up of the best bits from both models as a lot of parts were poorly moulded. MDC uses a different type of casting from what you’d normally find in resin model. There are no huge casting blocks only thin pins. They use 2 part moulds instead of the more common one part for all their smaller parts. It can have it’s benefits and issues. Unfortunately in this case for the cockpit more issues than anything else. The only good thing is that most of it will be hidden!

IMG_2927-L.jpg

For the “Car Door” version I’ll re-build the cockpit framework from scratch.

It will look good when finished.

IMG_2924-L.jpg

One issue though with the cockpit that did need sorting out was the seat and the “spring” for the height adjustment??? Besides not being moulded correctly on both seats it seat too high and caused to seat to sit to one side in the cockpit opening.

IMG_2936-L.jpg

The easiest way around this was to make a new spring assembly.

IMG_2935-L.jpg

I managed to find a photo (spent ages trying to find a clear one) of the setup and built accordingly, it now looks much better…

IMG_2938-L.jpg

….and fits!

IMG_2937-L.jpg

I have paints arriving tomorrow so hopefully I can start painting the interior. I know the interior colour scheme can bit a bit controversial (quite a bit of disagreement on the actual colours used) but I’ll be going for (British) Interior Green for the framework and interior walls level to it, then Black for everything above. 

So far no real nasty surprises in the build, the wing is a simple job, the only concern in the build to come is the wing/fuselage join. I’ve done quite a bit of test fitting already and know where the issues are, but on the whole nothing dramatic. If I can get the interior painting done in the next couple of days she’ll be closed up and wings on by the end of the weekend.

• Like 10

thanks.

I was all excited at the thought of starting to paint the cockpit today, but the paint didn't arrive.

So I spent the day sort of productively sorting out all the parts from the 2 models. I now have them all sorted and the second model I back on the shelf......a bit of a nasty surprise when I next get back to it!!!!

Spent a lot of time test fitting bits and adjusting as required. As I've mentioned before many times, it's a sort of mantra I go through with building resin models, test fit, test fit and more test fitting until i'm happy with the final fit. You get familiar with how it's all meant to go together and you see what work will be required afterwards. So when it comes time to use the dreaded CA cement you know it's all going to be fine!

Still the only issue I see with this build will be the wing joins, to solve this I'll be joining the wings to the fuselage is stages. This'll become super clear as I do it. 

Paint arriving tomorrow then I should have the fuselage and wings done by Sunday with luck!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, trickyrich said:

now looks much better…

Couldn't agree more, that new spring is a work of art. The new one is the Mona Lisa, the onld one is the Lisa Mona from kindergarten! Nice work!

Sorry that your paints didn't arrive as hoped, but we can all wait another day, this looks like a gem, even with the problems that you have swiftly dispatched. I believe this is the first all resin bird I have seen being built, so I am looking forward to the new medium, which will help answer some lingering questions I have regarding my resin aftermarket upgrades that I purchased before I even knew what resin was.

Be waiting intently for the next update!

Anthony

Your build moves along nicely and your pit looks like a plumbers nightmare ;),  but will look impressive when all done. Where did you find the picture of the seat? Always good to know where to find this kind of information.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Your build moves along nicely and your pit looks like a plumbers nightmare ;),  but will look impressive when all done. Where did you find the picture of the seat? Always good to know where to find this kind of information.

Cheers, Peter

...and  yeah...... :whistle: I had one not so clear photo the showed the top of the spring actually mounted on the seat and you could just see the cockpit sill as well......and I've lost it! :doh: i though it was in one of my books but can't find it, so it must have been a web page. I normally grab photos like this but forgot this time. There are a few photo's on the web showing the seat without the spring during resto's, but this one show the seat really clearly and you can see exactly where the print brackets go, plus some love views of the cockpit structure itself. Unfortunately it's a bit of an add for this companies services...but at least you get a hard to get look of this area.

https://resources.renishaw.com/gen/details/Case study: Additive manufacturing revives Hawker Typhoon aircraft(86151)

• Like 1

Ok things came to a real halt with this build namely due to me stuffing up a paint order!!! I ordered some paint that was currently not in stock at the same time as I ordered stuff that was……and the good supplier as they are will send the order once it’s complete!!! :doh:

So…..no painting for now….which is sort of lucky as I have found some stuff I wasn’t quite happy with!

Ok spent all that time getting that spring right with the seat but when looking closer at some of the photos I discovered that the seat sat too high….unless a midget was flying her! Plus the armour back plate wasn’t quite right and it was missing the guides for the harness, plus an extra plate

IMG_2989-L.jpg

IMG_2990-L.jpg

So mod time….

Here the original seat in position, I’ll remove and replace the mount for it and also replace the “oval” support on the seat itself…

IMG_2989-L.jpg

…ok that done, new brackets and support....

IMG_2993-L.jpg

...how does she look now…

IMG_2991-L.jpg

IMG_2992-L.jpg

…. Much better, now for that armour plate….

IMG_3010-L.jpg

IMG_3009-L.jpg

..(these photo’s were only just taken as I forgot to earlier….)…

…and all together it looks so much better, the seat is now at the correct height and the detailing for the armour plate backing is correct.

IMG_2997-L.jpg

IMG_2998-L.jpg

The sad bit s that once the fuselage is together and cockpit on you would see much of it!

IMG_3001-L.jpg

IMG_3000-L.jpg

While I was in the mood for detailing I started on the wheel wells, I won’t go whole hog on them but they’ll at least look busy and interesting. 

IMG_3004-L.jpg

there's still some more to go...

She sort of goes together…..

IMG_3003-L.jpg

…she’ll need a bit of fettling to get everything in order but it should all work out ok.

Ok distraction time…..another wee but important build!!! Just to prove I don’t only work on large models…

IMG_3008-L.jpg

This is an AAI RQ-7 Shadow UAV……well sort of! It’s completely scratch built from photos, it maybe 1/35th….not to sure, will have to do the measurements, but it fit a cake.

IMG_3006-L.jpg

IMG_3007-L.jpg

And why you ask why (and probably not), well it’s my contribution to my son’s wedding cake! My wife is doing the main cakes for the wedding and I’m doing the second one (and yes I can cook and I do do old amazing old fashion fruit cake, my mums recipe ….loaded with Rum of course!!! :D ). My son is in the Army and works on Drones so thought this would be a nice and fun extra cake! I’ll take photos of the finish model…and cake!

• Like 11

How cool is that, I assure you that no matter what the official wedding cake looks like, everyone is going to be far more interested in your rum runner, as it were! Tell your son we are all behind you and him, for a long and happy life together!

You did a great job lowering the seat, and yes, it is a shame that almost all that masterclass work is going to vanish, but at least we all got to see it before it gets swallowed up by the fuselage. I hope all aircraft manufacturers think of us first, when they make a new fighter or bomber, who cares how stealthy it may be, if we can't show off the detail because of their bad design, it should be scrapped. A more modeler friendly version needs to be made.

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Did you harvest those wings from a rotor bird? They look similar to the main rotor of a Huey. Probably not even close, but I had to ask!

• Thanks 1

the "Rum Runner" (I do like that name) is mostly made from bits from the spares/junk box/es, I literally have thousands of old bit from models going back 50 odd years!

I had thought about custom building the wings but it was just easier to splice to sets of chopper blades together, one from an old Airfix 1/72nd Vertol 107-II (CH-46) and the other an even older Revell 1/48th Sikorsky S-55. The tail surface was the 3 blade from the Vertol.

The fuselage is made from a cut upped up set of rails for a Scud launcher it think....just some unused extra bits that came with my Trumpie A-222 Bereg. The "engine" (they use a Wankel of all things) is from some OO/HO army truck, that'd have to be over 50yo!

It's certainly a quick fun project, a nice relief from normal model building.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It's certainly a quick fun project, a nice relief from normal model building.

You do realize that your "quick fun project" is beyond the skill set of 90% of all model makers, world wide? It is difficult to know the true number of course, and basing that estimate against the modelers on the site, is not a good comparison, most of the guys on here (excluding me) represent the best model makers in the world, so it is hard to impress, yet you seem to do so with relative ease. I could not hope to have a tenth of your skills, but if I have equal the fun and enjoyment that you obviously do, I will be more than happy with my decision to get back into it after all these years. I am a few bits and pieces away from being able to truly start my first model. I have all the parts required for the photo etch bender that I hope to assemble tomorrow. Then I just need to create some home brew thinners and the last odds and ends, so I can start my F-15. Nervous and excited, and you are the one with the upcoming wedding!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your Typhoon really comes together nicely Rich. But what I admire is you creativeness in cobble together a very believable looking drone from your extensive spare box ans some scratch build parts - very impressive :clap2:

And if you are not careful, your drone may get some real Teeth marks :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

well I avoided most of the cake making malarkey…though I was involved in some highly technical cake levelling work. I found the fruit cake was a wee bit dry so drown it (and myself) in fine Byron Bay Spiced Rum (God bottles don’t last long these days), am pleased to say there’s the sound of sea shanties coming from the cupboard…….and no it’s not from SHMBO!

Wee unmanned thing was pushed aside for the moment…awaiting cans for it :winkgrin:  ….though have found some Sharks Teeth in the decal stash!

Right painting time for all the interior bits. First off everything was given a coat of Master Model Metalizer Non-Buffing Aluminium…what a mouthful…but nice finish.

IMG_3018-L.jpg

Then a coat of an equivalent of Interior Green, which by all accounts in this and other sites is a really good match……..I’m still waiting for the correct stuff I ordered!

IMG_3019-L.jpg

IMG_3020-L.jpg

The upper half of the cockpit has been painted black.

The wheel wells look good…..

IMG_3021-L.jpg

I had to make 2 small bottles to go in each wheel well, not sure exactly what they are for, other than the lines for them go back into the fuselage, those will be added later.

IMG_3023-L.jpg

There is a small document case that sits inside the Port wheel well…..maybe it contains the maintenance log for the aircraft when it shifts bases???

Once that was done everything was given a gloss coat, panel line work, then a flat coat and finally highlighting.

IMG_3026-L.jpg

The extra shrouds around the main gear wells were added at this stage, starting to look quite good.

The cast brass legs were trimmed and test fitted

IMG_3025-L.jpg

Only issue with these is they are a bit porous is spots so may have to do some extra work on them…but they’re super strong!

IMG_3024-L.jpg

The cockpit is starting to look good.

IMG_3028-L.jpg

I’m very happy with how it all sits in place.

IMG_3030-L.jpg

Again most of it will be lost once it’s altogether.

IMG_3032-L.jpg

I think I have finally got the RH wing to sit correct with the fuselage…..took every trick I knew to get it there. For some reason (must have been warped more than I thought) it was shorter in width than the other, and had large gaps on the leading and trailing edge when against the fuselage. As can sort of be seen here it appears here to be 2-3mm shorter by the plastic insert I’ve added. But now if you were to compare the wings or fuselages together they appear to be the same, but they’re actually not??? 

IMG_3027-L.jpg

Optically they do look the same but careful measuring will show quite a difference! I’ve done it before, with some clever work they’ll look identical even if there’s a difference around 5mm difference in length (much less in this case). Never trust the eye! How did I do it…..  :wicked:  trade secret!

Am really happy with where I’m at, once I’ve done the detailing of the cockpit it can be closed up. I’m happy that the wings will now fit, they won’t be easy, but CA cement and accelerator and they’ll go together. Maybe next weekend. My aim is to get them on with the least amount of fifer required, it’ll be tough but not impossible.

• Like 3

Gorgeous work, just a shame that all that beautiful framing is devoured by the fuselage. Oh well, what can you do, such is the life of scale modeling. As for the bottles under the wings, I am going to make some silly stabs at their purpose.

First guess, inert gas added by pressure valves to fill fuel tanks to prevent explosions? Or is that too modern?

Second guess. Emergency power for the engines, like nitrous, never know when a bump in horsepower will save your bottom.

Third guess. O2 bottles to supplement on board systems in case of damaged canopy? Not sure if these had O2 systems, but if they flew at altitude, I would think they were required. Since any pressurized vessel is explosive, they may have chosen to put that threat away from the pilot in hope that he could regain control if one were hit.

These are just wild speculations, would love to find out which, if any are accurate. I am not building anything yet, so guessing is all I have at the moment.

Great work on the shortened wing, secrets are only fun if more than one person knows them, so just lean and whisper them too me, I promise (😉😉) not to tell anyone!

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Get back to the drone, pure scratch is my new favorite subject!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Basilisk said:

Looks great with paint on, but I thought the wheel wells are painted Aluminium.

Cheers, Peter

Arrrr :poop:  Wasn't 100% paying attention here....though in my defence (ok it's a bit weak your honour) I have seen some discussion on this subject. Everyone (all the different forums I visited) is sort of in agreement that the door insides should be painted silver/aluminium, but the wells themselves there was some discussion.......and then I forgot everything and just got carried away with the interior green!  :wall:

No worries a quick splash of paint and no one will notice.

48 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Nice work on MegaMouth Rich, looking good thus far.

FYI, Academy make a 1/35 RQ-7 as a kit. Might've saved you some time and frustration...

yeah I know, there are a few in different scales, but none in "Cake Scale", plus where's the fun in building a straight model!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well it has been a wee bit since I updated this one, busy with the wedding stuff plus having a break from regular builds to do work on some really long term projects. Will start a WIP for these as they are quite large and involved builds. (will post link later)

Not a huge update but quite a bit of time has been spent on the wings. I’ve repainted the wells, I probably won’t do too much more to them as they really won’t be seen when completed. There was quite a bit of filler required to sort out the small panels for the opening. So to prevent any shrinkage of filler these were only lightly filled each time, then sanded back and more filler applied. I took 4 applications to get right, they’ve now had over a week to cure/dry out so will need to check how they came out.

IMG_3035-L.jpg\

The ailerons fit was poor to say the least!!! They like the flaps were meant to be position able but I can assure you they aren’t!! They where both too long (easy to correct), shape mmmmm issues here, the lower leading edge was too short, plus to top it all off the LH aileron was too narrow!

A few hours of work with CA glue and plastic strip and they were sorted. The underside cut outs for the hinges were huge a wrong so they needed to be corrected as well.

IMG_3036-L.jpg

They now fit properly……..once the wings were given another bath in boiling water, turns out the outer half of both wings were warped as well, one up the other down!

IMG_3037-L.jpg

Plus I spent sometime getting the flaps and trailing edges sorted out. Other than fitting the wings are pretty much done with. 

The final bits for the cockpit are painted, just need to do the detailing and fit them, then I can close her up. 

Oh and the "Rum Runner"? She was a bit hit, only damage was the caterers knock a wheel of prop blade off her. I've got her back for repairs.

IMG_3038-XL.jpg

IMG_3041-XL.jpg

IMG_3085-XL.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oh and the "Rum Runner"? She was a bit hit

I can't help but get a HUGE smile knowing you used that name for the wedding cake drone, everyone here knew that the drone would be a big hit with the guests, and your son, you must be very proud! Congratulations are in order!

The wings look great, goes to show that any amount of defect in a kit can be made overcome with the right amount of skill, good planning and lots of patience. Nice work!

Looking forward to the next update, and the new builds you have planned.

Anthony