Sashiba11, Sashiba22 return to base...

Dazzio

Evening Everyone,

First up, all links are either Google Maps, Wikipedia or Britmodeller.com so all worksafe.

I was looking at my stash today thinking what I could build for this GB and nothing jumped out at me.  Don't get me wrong, I have many... Many... MANY choices for sharkteeth/teeth in general but nothing caught my attention.  Then I remembered what I had delivered on Saturday.  It was a fluke that I won this, but I did and the best bit is that my mother said she would pay for it instead of an easter egg... healthy and fun!  I realise some people might not like my choice due to the subject... meh...

Here is a little clue that might give away what I am building to those that understand (the title should be a massive clue!).

So here is what I am preposing to build...

spacer.png

Please excuse the dirty carpet.  I have always wanted to build this model.  As far as I can tell, this is a Japanese boxing - the thing has travelled further than I have!  I am unsure if I want to build it with an ZELL launcher (that would be a project in itself and a scratch build... oh hell...) or on the ground with bits of bobs open.  I am looking at the CMK stuff becuase it looks nice... really undecided yet.  I'm pushing myself with this one I know and I may not finish in the timeframe.  We'll see...

spacer.png

Reference material, as you can see the TSR-2 (linky) features heavily in this show, but it is not the only aircraft in the series.  There is also a Yak-28 (linky), MiG-31 (linky), YB-60 (linky) and of course the Stratos 4 (yes, it is actually an aircraft!)  It is made up from what I can tell, the nose from the XB-70 Valkyrie (linky) and the body/tail of the preposed XF-108 Rapier (linky) - make up your own mind.  Unforunately the version in the box isn't in the TV show display, that comes from the 2nd series - which I am certain I own but can not for the life of me find.

Yes for my sins... I am an Otaku... and yes, I can name all the girls. 😕 lol

The TSR-2 is an aircraft that is a little special to me as well even though I wasn't even a sparkle in my fathers eye when it was flying.  The reasons is that when I was in the ATC, there was a guy who bragged that he could beat me in aircraft rec - I didn't care at the time, I was 14 and discovering these strange creatures called women and also alcohol (well I do live in Essex!).  Anyhow... we went to a regional Air Rec Competition with the local squadrons and apparently the guys who do this for the RAF/MoD where there too.  I was the only one on any of the teams that knew what the TSR-2 was and as it turned out the story behind it - which impressed our Pilot Officer and Flight Lieutentant greatly. It was the last question and because I knew it, we won.  The guy who was always bragging said it was the CF-105 Arrow (linky) which was wrong and later on he apologised to me and said I knew more... I didn't care, I was just shocked that no one else knew, even the RAF/MoD team!

I will leave this here while I plan and steal ideas from @Navy Bird excellent build (clicky linky herey).  This was a great build from last year which also inspired me to get off my backside and start planning/getting bits for a build of the TSR-2MS.

All advice/comments about this great/beautiful aircraft is greatfully recieved.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
spelling corrections.
  • Like 5

haha I have 2 of these models, one a half built one I inherited from my father and the other I may have got from evilBay. I know one of them is in a dark box with a Tornado and soft music playing......I'm hoping they'll mate one day....a Tornado nose on a TRS body?? :wicked: If it works out  may go full size, 1/48th!

Have you seen how they "ride" this aircraft??? 

It's nice that Airfix included all the bits to make a normal one as well.

• Like 2

A TSR-2 with a Tornado's nose (I'm assuming GR.1/4?)... That could work actually... An F-3 nose might be better however. Will be good to watch that WiP trickyrich. :)

Unfortunately, I have seen how they "pilot" the aircraft. They pilot the Yak-28 and MiG-31 in the same way. Allegedly the series creator got the idea from the Gloster Meteor F-8 "Prone Pilot". It's not just the girls that pilot the aircraft that way neither... The men do also! 😕  In the extras for the DVD, they have a military expert talk about the aircraft, he does take a few digs at it. Lol

Funny enough, I have just purchased another one. Might do that one as a Whif though.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

I like seeing stuff a bit off the beaten path.  And not many GBs have a provision for sci-fi/fiction subjects, so props for taking advantage!  🍻

• Like 2

That is certainly a bit different :thumbsup: and great  having it as part of this GB.

I hope you will enjoy your Stratos 4 TSR.2 build. But as far as I know, the Airfix kit isn't the easiest build.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 1:29 PM, helios16v said:

I like seeing stuff a bit off the beaten path.  And not many GBs have a provision for sci-fi/fiction subjects, so props for taking advantage!  🍻

Thank you helios.  I have wanted to build a TSR-2 for a long while now.  I remember seeing the one at Duxford as kid (8-9 years old) and thought it was the fastest thing there.  It's nice when a GB combines two of my pastimes as well (aircraft and anime). :)

On 5/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, Basilisk said:

That is certainly a bit different :thumbsup: and great  having it as part of this GB.

I hope you will enjoy your Stratos 4 TSR.2 build. But as far as I know, the Airfix kit isn't the easiest build.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you Peter... that fills me with such hope for the future... 😕  I've made a start on her and I can agree with your comments.  This is no shake and bake kit.  Guess it will test my sanity and skills.

10 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

TSR-2 is a favourite of mine. Will be watching dude :popcorn:  Have one of these in the stash, waiting for the right time to build her.

You and me both Hockeyboy!  I did win anoher TSR-2 the other day with a cheeky little bid... almost half the price of this one.  Think I am going to build this one with it's wheels down and the other with it's wheels up/on the Zero Length Launch platform.  That will not be part of this build however.

So with out further ado, lets get this party started.

spacer.png

I'm not going to show pictures of all of the sprues, there is plent of them floating around on this site.  Just proof that this has started as a jumble of plastic... it will probably end up the same way too! 😕

32891251127_aa1e50321c_c.jpg

So as with almost every other build in history, you start off with the cockpit.  Airfix will have you just splash black everwhere!  The above shot proves that theory wrong sraight away and yes I am smooth... lol.  Good job I did do some research into this aircraft/version huh? I also put this here to prove that it isn't just the women who pilot these aircraft.  Doi Shizuha-san (brown hair) below sums up my feelings about the colour call outs in the Airfix instructions, that is also a facial expression I wear alot too... I do work in IT if that makes anymore sense?  I am going to blame it on being a translation issue between Studio Fantasia/Mori Takeshi-san.

46919076925_9d328f4a04_c.jpg

So first thing you have to do on the build is cut up the airframe/cockpit parts (below).  This is a relatively simple task, however it has made me think looking at how Iwasaki-san (front seat) and Fujitani-san (back seat) are sitting now.  I am thinking of displaying the cockpit open and having the pilots sitting down normally.

47783052612_792753de22_c.jpg

Pretty simple task huh?  But looking at the cockpit with the seats in place, there is alot left that needs to be worked on.  Have a look below.

46918798835_3f8f6cc30e_c.jpg

I am thinking of boxing in the cockpit with plasticard of some sort and then filling the rest in.  I need to do some scratch building in the cockpit to bring it up to scratch.  It's nice to see that Airfix did include the actuator parts to open the cockpit even if they do not describe how to use it or what it is for.  The plan for the seats, is to cut them down and then refit in their lowered position.  I am not sure now to do this at this moment, but the two below pictures give you an idea of what I am on about.

46918843065_8370669c3a_c.jpg

This is how Airfix would have you displaying the pilots if you had the cockpit/canopy open, however that is correct for when the pilots first get into the cockpit.  They sit down like below.

47835159461_69bf19623c_c.jpg

This is the main character of the show Honjou Mikaze-san, she usually flies with Kikuhara Karin-san, but she annoys me for some reason.  So it will be piloted by Mikaze-san and Shizuha-san just because I always felt that Shizuha-san needed more airtime.  Still trying to work out what colour that side console is... I know it's not interior green... I will need to see what I have in my stash.  Once again I refer to the picture above with Shizuha-san in regards to the colour call outs for the suits.  Airfix would have you paint them plain white, as we can see that is just wrong.  You can also see the straps just infront of Mikaze-san.  They look painful...

This model is going to be the biggest one I have ever built.  Still trying to decide if i want to buy the CMK resin for the airbrakes and electronics bay for more interest.  I was going to get the wheelwells as well, but as the bombbay will not be seen, I felt that was a waste of money.  Looking at the RATO bottles, I think I will have to raid the Gundam Nozzle sets i have as those are shocking.

Oh and a picture of what I am aiming to build just to show off the Sharkmouth goodness.

47045623774_82eff6867d.jpg

This is the only picture of it I can find from the show. Looking at it now, those vents on the intakes might need to be cut open as wel... hhmm.

Not much as been done as of yet, but I am getting there.  I believe that once the cockpit is done, this should more or less be plaint sailing.  Unless I get the resin bits... still not sure on them.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 7

Looks like a major undertaking of yours. Interesting information in your post and the pictures should be of some help.

But I would try not to over complicate things as the kit is already challenging enough.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Looks like a major undertaking of yours. Interesting information in your post and the pictures should be of some help.

But I would try not to over complicate things as the kit is already challenging enough.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you for the comments Peter.  Knowing me, I am probably over compicating everything, but this is something I have always wanted to build (since I saw the show back in 2002).  I *WILL* get her finished to a half decent standard.  If I don't push myself, I will never know what I am truely capable off.  There is alot of bits on the kit that I just want to ask Airfix "Why?!".  There is a way to make the tailplane/rudder move.  I dont think that is an good idea on this version. 

Right so the work I have done today has centred around the cockpit. 

47094669404_e9caf5b57d_c.jpg

This is what I have started with, those seats have to be lowered for my plan.  So out with the microsaw.

47884002681_91c2a29292_c.jpg

A few swipes with a scaple blade got those seats out.  I thought to make my life easier, I would put the front seat in the back and only cut the back up for the front.

47884002911_86354b3904_c.jpg

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, these are better than what I started with.  I do see lots of room for improvement, maybe on the next one.

47094668854_8b4d7dfe64_c.jpg

A little bit of scratch building on the back headrest.  You can't really see much as it is all white, but when I slap some paint on it, you will get a better idea - hopefully soon.  I'm thinking that if I do a good job with this one, I might try my hand at the MiG-31... maybe.

Any pointers greatfully received :)  That is all for today.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy few weeks for me. 

I have been working on the TSR2MS here and there.  I have nearly got the cockpit finished.  I just need to finish the fuselage before I can finish off the cockpit - you'll see what I mean soon.  So this is where I am upto right now.

spacer.png

If you look at the pictures above, you will that the cockpit is boxed in hence the plasticcard.  The plan is to get the rest of the fuselage done (you'll see what the hold up was) and then I will fill in the gaps with some filler and sand flat.

I decided to throw some extra stuff at this model as I want it to look really good - my modelling skills not withstanding.  Which I didn't have the funds for until now.  Most of my money has been sunk into my girlfriends cake business.  She is going to move out of her mothers kitchen and use a big log cabin... so £5,000 later my girlfriend has a nice big... woman cave for lack of a better term.  She likes it so that is the main thing.  Anyhow the bits I have purchased.

spacer.png

So I have purchased the CMK Resin Sets for the control surfaces so that elevators/flaps, airbrakes, airintakes, eninges, various air vents and the electronics bay.  I also purchased the Pitot Tube x2 for it as well, I have two as I have a second TSR2 to build as well... but depending how I get on with this one, I might sell that one... might!  Anyhow, I will be stealing alot of hints and tips from other builds I have seen on here.  As if this build wasn't difficult enough already!

Better get a shimmy on huh?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Little update...

I have managed to cut out the electronics bay, I didn't heed my old mans advice of "measure twice cut once" and I just assumed that the bay would be the same size as the panel on the model and cust started cutting/sanding.   See my bodge job below... 😕

spacer.png

So here we have the bay that needs cutting out... thought I'd play it safe and drill/cut/

spacer.png

The blue stuff is blue tack that I thought would make a nice pillow/block for the knife/drill... but here is the result of the cutting.

spacer.png

Here is the bay fitted, took me two hours to get to this point.  I was doing some final touches on my Harrier GR3 and washing the other resin bits inbetween this.  In the end, I had to cut out the tab that holds the cockpit in place.  I didn't cut the whole thing out however, only enough to fit the bay, I also had to cut away a lot of plastic at the bottom for the panel that goes there... not sure why that part is modelled like that thought.  The eagle eyed amoung you will notice that I had to glue a 0.4 mm shim as I over cut/sanded.  This is where she stands as of now.

I'm thinking that as there wasn't any actual operational aircraft that my source for colours is very limited.  However on the otherhand this aircraft is a fictional one.... I think I will copy/use the colours on the prototypes as that seems like the obvious choice for the colours.

I was going to get more done today however my hayfever is absolutely knocking me for 6 today... I hate plants/flowers!

Hope everyone had a good Sunday!

THoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? All accepted...

Kind Reagrds,

Dazz

• Like 2

If you don't mind a little masking Ive always thought this was the best looking camouflage on Japanese fighters/Recon. Aircraft. 

https://www.amazon.com/F-4EJ-Super-Phantom-offshore-camouflage/dp/B00N8FEPOG

WW2 USN sea blue & Intermediate blue are good color matches. 

Dennis   

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I do like this build, plus extra resin goodness as well!! :wub:

Good to see you're having a go at the scratch build stuff, it's one of the fun parts of build I find. Especially with this model, you can just go crazy. Keep up the great work.

I have this model in the stash, well 2 actually and you're really giving me the urge to build one of them (one though will have a Tornado Gr.4 nose grafted onto it!).

• 9 months later...