Italeri Hunter FGA9

Well there's no point hanging around, may as well start a new kit! I even bought aftermarket decals as I'd like to continue my 80s theme with a 79 sqn/1 TWU Hunter from around 1980-84. I also have the Academy one in the stash which I'll do as an old F6 using those lovely 56 sqn markings at some point, so this Italeri one will be an FGA9.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was much cheaper than the Airfix one, and looks ok on opening the box, apart from the 1/72 ejector seat. I'm going to use a spare one from the Canberra PR9; I know it's probably different but at least it's the right size!

spacer.png

Anyone built this kit and know of any other issues?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Anyone built this kit and know of any other issues?

there are a load,  both accuracy and tricky areas of construction. 

intake trunking/wing join, this go9es against conventional wisdom, but nit the spacer bars

and if you add a new ejector sea, you need to lower the cockpit floor...

I linked this as it has actual fixes, as opposed to reaching for aftermarket.    There are more builds.

this is a guide to what mark MB seat was fitted to what...

https://www.neomega-resin.com/raf--rn-aircraft-104-c.asp

note the Canberra PR 9 pilot and Hunter FGA 9 use MB III seats

HTH

• Thanks 1

Chop 3mm off the end of the tailplane "bullet" & reprofile.  Move the horizontal tail planes 3mm forward so that their trailing edges line up with that of the rudder (best way to do this is to chop 3mm off the FRONT of the locating tab which will allow you to move the part 3mm forward).  HTH.

• Thanks 1

Thank you chaps, that's brilliant info. Looks like it won't be a simple build after that F3 after all!

Is the Italeri the same mould as the Academy kit then, therefore with the same issues?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thank you chaps, that's brilliant info. Looks like it won't be a simple build after that F3 after all!

Is the Italeri the same mould as the Academy kit then, therefore with the same issues?

It is.  Follow the lead of the other builders of this kit and you should be OK.  Also refer to the thread covering the inboard pylons for the Airfix Hunter as this will help you to deal with the Academy/Italeri offerings.

• Like 1

Thanks to the superb advice I've made a start on altering the cockpit to accommodate the 1/48 seat. That WIP by @Karl is amazing, like proper instructions! So I set about butchering the cockpit ...

spacer.png

Added spare plastic rails down the sides to raise up the side consoles ...

spacer.png

... which I then reattached.

spacer.png

I'll try and add some detail to the rear cockpit bulkhead once fitted too. I need to see how this new size cockpit fits into the fuselage first though.

• Like 1

I've added a few bits at the back of the cockpit to make it look a bit busier. No idea how realistic they are but it's going to be a black pit so probably won't matter too much.

I dry brushed silver over matt black for the instrument panels, with the odd blob of yellow thrown in for good measure.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The instructions say 20g nose weight, but I added a little more just to be sure.

spacer.png

The intakes fittings looked complicated but fit together well, and slotted into the fuselage no problem, as did my modified cockpit. The fuselage halves seem to fit nicely too, not too much of a noticeable join line, and unlike the Airfix Tornado at least they match!

spacer.png

I'll drop the bang seat in later. This was concocted mainly from the Airfix Canberra PR9, plus the handles from this Hunter kit and my usual masking tape seat belts.

spacer.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Anyone know what the external differences are between an F6A and an FGA9?

@StephenMG  would give the full details, but basically,  IIRC, the tail with the parachute pack, and flaps with cut out for the larger underwing tanks are the main external ones, and usually the larger tanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

@StephenMG  would give the full details, but basically,  IIRC, the tail with the parachute pack, and flaps with cut out for the larger underwing tanks are the main external ones, and usually the larger tanks.

I thought it was the parachute pack too, but there seem to be quite a few pics of F6As with them too. Were they retro-fitted in the late 70s to TWU Hunters?

• Like 1

My next mod was the bullet fairing behind the fin. Apparently it's too big in the kit, so I just cut it off and used the pointy end of a 1/48 Skyflash missile instead - once tidied up I think it looks about right. Certainly good enough for me anyway.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

And the tail cone is too long. This was the trickiest bit. Indecided not to cut the fat end because of the fairing into the tailfin root, I don't think I could fix or bodge that, so I took a deep breath and hacked off the jet pipe rim.

spacer.png

Then cut off another 3mm behind it on the tail cone ...

spacer.png

No going back now. Glued the rim back on, and once dry I'll get to work with the filler! I might wrap some masking tape around the inside to give the filler something to stick over. This is the neatest side! ...

spacer.png

If I can't get it looking right I'll just fit the F6 tailcone and leave it too long. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 10:06 AM, Lord Riot said:

Anyone know what the external differences are between an F6A and an FGA9?

There's virtually no difference at all. The F.6A was an F.6 with most of the mods for the FGA.9 except the uprated engine. There are some cockpit differences but externally the differences are usually just differences in antenna types and locations.

The Academy/Italeri tailcone is a bit a long, but other parts of the fuselage are a bit short by the same amount, so overall they cancel out! The biggest problem with it is that they just stuck a 'lip' on the F.6 tailcone so there'e no bulge to the top surface to accommodate the parachute. I put a post on BM once with a list of all the things I thought were 'off' with the Academy Hunter. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found the thread if it's any use - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234909441-italeri-academy-hunter/

Mark

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The intake area needed a bit of filler where it joins the fuselage.

spacer.png

And I cut the front 3mm off the tailplane tabs so I cam glue them further forward.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 07/05/2019 at 17:21, Lord Riot said:

If I can't get it looking right I'll just fit the F6 tailcone and leave it too long. 

looking good.

As you have another Academy Hunter in the stash, you maybe interested in these 

Aeroclub 1/48 Hunter F4/6/9 Detail set. Missing some parts however I believe you can use it for a F9 only. £10 

Heritage Aviation Models Hunter Correction set NIB £10 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heritage-aviation-models-hunter-correction-set--206311

for sale here 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054945-148-kits-and-aftermarket-sale/

The Aeroclub set is this

114396-14892-30-pristine.jpg

HTH

• Like 2

I like this kit, it fits together really well, particularly after that Airfix Tornado. I like the softer style plastic too, nicer to work with. 

Despite the engine intake contraption inside, the wings fit pretty well, as long as you squeeze them in and press the fuselage down on top you don't really see much of a gap. Nice detail in the wheel bays too. I certainly don't need to spend £35 on the Airfix one. I'm sure it's better but this was only about £14 on ebay!

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's just a shame they made the tailcone and bullet fairing too long and I had to cut them up. I'm hoping once painted they'll look better.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Some progress today, I sprayed the undersides BS626 satin light a/c grey, then once dry masked up the whole underside ready to spray Tamiya AS-30 dark green all over the upper surface. Once this is properly dry tomorrow I'll start making the blu-tack worms and cut up carrier bag combo ready for spraying the satin dark sea grey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I just hope there's no bubbling when I spray on the grey. Since the issues with the Canberra I've sprayed the green first and it was ok on my Harrier. 

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

My that’s looking rather good.....I have one of these in my stash but I’ve held off building it coz I know that it has issues, but I have to say your making short work of it AND you’re doing it justice.

cheers buddy

Iain

• Thanks 1

I like what you are doing here, Having just rediscovered an original Academy boxing of this kit in my stash a few days ago I was considering having a go at it despite it's flaws. Like you, I don't feel the need to buy the Airfix kit when I have the Academy one in the stash.

Keep up the good work.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, always encouraging to read such nice comments. It's only from following WIPs and advice on here really that I've attempted these mods, but they're not too difficult once you start - not if I can manage it! 

I'd certainly recommend giving it a go if you have one in the stash, the fit is nice despite the issues. 

• Like 1

Ready for bagging. Quite a nice simple shape to wrap the snakes around, not as many nooks and crannies as with Harriers or Tornados. Just hope the grey takes smoothly. I'll try it on the tailplanes first in case of bubbling.

spacer.png

• Like 1