Corsair II( AKA Junior)

Well I hit it with some primer today. Just a couple of touch ups as far as the sanding goes. Then we are all good for color. Im still trying to narrow my plane down ? I have the decals now for the 23rd FG(Flying Tigers) later 1970's. 

hAl8B8Q.png

I really am just confused. I can do that ⬆️ or a 354th Plane from Vietnam. 

wEpqELH.jpg

I can do the same plane several months later as the "Molar Mauler".

ra3YzJA.png

Hcudmpl.jpg

The only thing i would need to do is mask off and do this ⬆️ mouth and eye ... Decisions ... Decisions ? Any thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hmmm... I quite like the wraparound camo but then the molar mauler is a bit different so will stand out from all the other shark mouths in the GB. Sorry I’m not being very helpful!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Enzo Matrix said:

Yes.  Buy some more kits and do 'em all!  :lol: 

Actually I'm considering doing that very thing. Currently i have a case of to many choices now ? The old Hase. 1/72 is very cheap at $13 and i may have to grab a couple to finish off all the A-7D's i want. Is the Hobby boss kit any good ? Id like to build a Two-seater as well ? 

Do it!  You know you want to..  :wicked:

In my opinion the hobby Boss kit is superbly engineered and is a joy to build.  However, unfortunately the forward fuselage is a caricature of the real thing.  It is far too wide. The HB canopy could fit an F-111 ! 

• Thanks 1

You could maybe track down an Esci/Italeri kit.  That's really quite nice.  The downside is that the imntake is very shallow, but there is a moulded intake cover in the kit.   That might cover up any sharkmouth though.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis!

For me it would HAVE to be the "Molar Marauder".  It has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that just screams "do me"!   Besides, it appeals to my "duh" side cause it looks like dentures for a Minion.  But whatever scheme you choose, it looks like it's gonna be a neat little SLUF.  :cool:

I've got one of these in my stash that you're inspiring me to drag out.  Just as soon as I finish 42 other things first.  :frantic:

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Well i took care of the one spot that needed work. Since it seems the consensus is voting for the Mauler I'm going that route. I painted the nose areas black as a base for the eyes/teeth. I will then move onto the other details. Once done i can mask and spray the camouflage. Will post a few photo's in the morning when the paint is dry. Questions, comments, or good stories are always welcome. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I would have gone with the 'Nam era SLUF. Those guys at Korat RTAB really helped turn up the heat during Linebacker II. Then follow it up with the Flying Tigers A-7. That's my plan one day at least.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I would have gone with the 'Nam era SLUF. Those guys at Korat RTAB really helped turn up the heat during Linebacker II. Then follow it up with the Flying Tigers A-7. That's my plan one day at least.

This all may go sideways anyways, if it does i will just go with the original. Thought id try my hand at painting the mouth first and if it fails i have the decals to fall back on. I still have the '72 decals. 

• Like 2

I always had a bit of a soft spot for the SLUFF.  Many years ago I built the Matchbox 1/72 kit, wrap around cameo, bombed up to the full (which was a lot of bombs).

Good luck with the shark mouth..  Would you consider painting it flat on a bench onto decal paper then transferring those to the model?  It might be easier to get consistency between the sides that way rather than painting directly onto the model..

Edited by Grey Beema

28 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Would you consider painting it flat on a bench onto decal paper then transferring those to the model?  It might be easier to get consistency between the sides that way rather than painting directly onto the model..

Yes i would, but i have no blank decal paper.  Nor the means find any, let alone buy it if i did find some. If i had it id just print my own decals. I agree about consistency and have tried this before with some success. Its just a matter of making a mask 1st. I take a square of tape draw the design on it. Cut the outline and place on the model. Once the outline is there painting the insides to spec. Once that is done i can cover with the other half of the mask, and paint the camouflage over it all.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Okay this is odd, i went to mask and start painting the teeth and eyes. Did the Starboard side no problems. 

srF1Kih.jpg

flipped the plane over and found this ? 

C4jLXvN.jpg

Lets take a closer look. 

lgxWa23.jpg

The only thing i can think of was i glued a piece of sheet plastic into the nose gear bay for the roof. This was to cover the original gap still there. The glue must have reacted to the plastic funnily and crazed/softened it. Its still very soft after two days, you can tell from the fingernail scratches in it.  Oh well time to pull a whole lot of filler out. Questions, comments, or suggestions ? 

Dennis

Here are the roughed in teeth & eyes. 

pfxy34n.jpg

The starboard side is still wet and rough. It will be wet sanded down and touched up before I'm satisfied enough to photograph it. The lower jaw outline and other extras will be done after camouflage. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everybody... Not a lot done with the model until today. I dipped the canopies for this and a couple of other builds yesterday. The canopies turned out good so i painted the interior, added the HUD, & glued the canopies on today. Once they're set tonight I will add photo's and then place the Eduard canopy masks for the exterior. Then i can paint the camouflage, i plan to do the light grey/white tomorrow and maybe the Tan ? So I'm hoping by the end of the weekend to have the whole set of four color's done. Questions, comments or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Hello everybody... Well i did a 6 hour marathon session today in 2 stages. Painted this plane completely and another partially. This is going to be short & sweet as I'm exhausted its 02:15 here. nkEgjd5.jpg

ShkhG8w.jpg

JWV4P0d.jpg

mLsqRim.jpg

UaEuN87.jpg

eklr3eD.jpg

This will need some touchups tomorrow but nothing major. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Nice, what colours did you use as I've got a SEA bird to do soon

Hello Neil... Thanks for asking. I used Tamiya USAF Light Aircraft grey rattle-can

kV095nM.jpg

for the lower grey. Tamiya Deck Tan rattlecan

uDU81Mw.jpg

for the Tan. I used a blend of two Vallejo model-colors for the medium green. I mixed in a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 parts of the FS34096 to 1 part FS34128. 

zYECpe0.jpg

I have an actual medium green and dark green but they were to close a color to each other and wouldn't have looked right to my eye. The last color i used was Xtracrylix RAF Dark Green.

0yOZEb8.jpg

Not correct but looked better than my Dark green. When compared. I will be using the same colors on my F-4C/D in the F-4 Phantom build next month as i like the way they look together. The rattle cans can be decanted and used in an airbrush but can be used directly. I think Tamiya may have the colors bottled now as they keep expanding there ranges. I hope my mix isn't to eclectic and helps ?  

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks, I have the tamiya acrylics of deck tan USAF light grey and RAF dark green and I think I have one of the Vallejo greens. Will be doing an Airfix TSR2  what if as an USAF aircraft on Op Combat Lancerin place of the F111.

• Like 1