Corsair II( AKA Junior)

Hello all... Well heres my entry for this build, the venerable Fujimi 1/72 A-7D. XQdyy7F.jpg

I’ve built A-7’s before but i’ve never built one of these Fujimi kits before. They look great from what i can see, and have been chomping at the bit to start it. Here are the obligatory sprue shots.  

J2VS7zJ.jpg

gPlqH5x.jpg

GQl59oE.jpg

2URwKwq.jpg

pkULyaU.jpg

Markings will be S.E.A. Camouflage and either 23rd FIG (Flying Tigers) from England AFB La. Or the 354th out of Korat RTAFB 1972. See everyone next week. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

I've built three of them - with another half dozen in The Stash.  Two of these are the boxing that you are building. 

There are no issues whatsoever with the kit build.  As with many kits of this vintage, the cockpit is a little sparse, but a resin seat will spruce it up nicely. 

If any company wanted to produce a modern kit of the A-6, they would have to work hard because the bar is set pretty high by the Fujimi kits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice, reminded me the Corsair II is a notable gap, I might join in with one as well though I shall have to settle for the HB version 

The more the merrier Stu. Id love to do this navy one but no decals. 

dwjbhBP.png

It’ll just give me a reason to buy another corsair. 

Dennis

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

and have been chomping at the bit to start it. 

and so it begins..... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

If any company wanted to produce a modern kit of the A-6, they would have to work hard because the bar is set pretty high by the Fujimi kits. 

hmmm????  Hopefully Enzo was talking about a different model to this one.....else he's into the birthday drinks already!

Happy Birthday Enzo    :cake::party:  ..........I had heard that the International Space Station had seen a massive glow coming from that side of the world!! :tease:  

• Haha 4

Lucky you! I have been looking for a Fujimi Corsair for decades, to no avail!

You should really have a fun build with it, as I believe it is rather good!

JR

6 minutes ago, jean said:

Lucky you! I have been looking for a Fujimi Corsair for decades, to no avail!

You should really have a fun build with it, as I believe it is rather good!

JR

This was a gift from a fellow member @Procopiuswho was  doing a stash cleanout. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This was a gift from a fellow member @Procopiuswho was  doing a stash cleanout. 

A stash cleanout is the silliest notion I have ever heard of!

I thought stashes were meant to grow, and you just had to buy a bigger house whenever all the cupboards were full of kits! Have I been lied to, all those years?

Whatever, Mr. P has done you a great turn.

Enjoy

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

:angry:Well went to start working on this today. Got the cockpit pieces seperated ready for paint. The instructions call for instrument panel decals.

BtEB17j.jpg

I figured id take a look at them and decide decal or paint ? Good thing i did, the wax paper backing for the decal. Meant to protect them actually destroyed them ! It melted into the decals. 

I52FfIg.jpg

And if it isn't clear here is a closer view. 

h7jgFiK.jpgThe decals i need are the Star & Bars, shark mouth, & the third band down which looks like teal with stars. All of which are damaged with bits of waxy paper sticking to them. This kills off the 23rd TFW “the flying tigers” as an option. I still have the 354th TFW but its aggravating. Now if those decals fail I'm done. Though i may attempt to paint the shark mouth if it fails ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Pete to the rescue!

I have built that kit a couple years ago, and used only a few stencils from that sheet, and the right column of national markings. You're welcome to have the rest of the sheet. Just PM me your address.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bummer. But if remains of the wax paper are still on the decal, shouldn't that come loose when placing the decal in water. Should give it a try with some of the decals you aren't using.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Pete said:

You're welcome to have the rest of the sheet. Just PM me your address.

Many thanks Pete, Enzo already said i can have his. In the off chance something happens though i will let you know. 

1 hour ago, Basilisk said:

shouldn't that come loose when placing the decal in water. Should give it a try with some of the decals you aren't using.

Never really considered that but it looks like the residue from the paper melted into the glue ?  If that makes any sense ? I will test a decal not needed and see what happens. If they work i will have Enzo's sheet and keep this as a spare. If it fails then i will just toss these. 

Dennis

Hello All.. well the decal disaster is not slowing me down on this. I finished the office, & added the weight to the nose for peace of mind. Then when the pit and weights were dry, i glued the fuselage together. It looks like a real nice kit in the box. Yet it bites like a viper when you go to build it ? 

Lets start with the cockpit. 

HkAwVdy.jpg

KKBiC52.jpg

CNdS0Lo.jpg

So when i glued the fuselage together i had some real big gaps at the front around the cockpit tub. 

yHrGjZk.jpg

KuD4kkn.jpg

My guess is the cockpit tub was about 1/8th inch to wide. Its not the fishing weights i used. They were flattened and only glued in the starboard half, incase they expand in the future. The gap is now filled with plastic strip, sanded and roughly to shape.

P3XPlAH.jpg

Sadly though i will need to come up with a FOD cover. I cant fix the gap deeper in the intake.

Now that wasn't the only issue i had/have with this kit. Why oh why did Fujimi spilt the intake ? Most companies mold the intake as the main fuselage ? Maybe its because they also use this fuselage to do the A & B navy corsairs. Initially i thought i would glue the half intakes to there perspective fuselages. That way in theory i should only have to really worry about the seam on the belly. Yeah right like that was supposed to work. 

V3FPxvH.jpg

cJhoIiE.jpg

dxKzc4h.jpg

You can see the fuselage gap through the landing gear bay ? This is the only major issue so far with the plastic. Please don't misunderstand me, other than this, I'm actually liking the kit. Questions, comments, or stories ?

Dennis

• Sad 2

Ouch, that joint looks troublesome. Maybe you should have made it fit properly before gluing it by sanding down the interfering parts. But at the end you saved the day.

All in all nice progress.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

Hello all... Not much to report, i did a rough sanding today of the seams. Glued a few of the exterior lumps & bumps on. Even glued the wings together. I mocked it up to see how the wings fit. 

HSsQVzD.jpg

Surprisingly well actually, i was pleasantly surprised by that. Tomorrow will be adding the filler to take care of the seams. So will be a couple of days before i show anything. We all know sanding photo’s are a bit boring.  Questions, comments, or stories ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

hopefully you can get those nasty jobs on the intake sorted.

Your build has sort of picked up my interest in the Corsair again. I built the Esci 1/48th version close to 40 years ago and I really like it then (even though the canopy was missing when I got it!!). Now you've gotten me looking to build another one, this time I'll go Hasegawa version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Now you've gotten me looking to build another one, this time I'll go Hasegawa version.

Id love to do one of those. ☹️ I ruined one in the late 80’s that sat on a shelf half built for 20 years. It actually caused me to stop building jets for 18 years. Finally it went to the recyclers. Now they're 3 times the cost and rare as heck.

Dennis

Hello Everybody... i finally got the sanding of the fuselage done today. I then glued the wings and stabs on. So i at least have a complete airframe. There are some very minor gaps on the wings which i will fill tonight. 

nY0RIIu.jpg

beWnXFd.jpg

nRntBBm.jpg

h772eQz.jpg

Interesting photo ? I hadn't caught the two planes flying formation ⬆️ when i snapped the picture. 

4i00xVC.jpg

Questions, comments, or good stories always welcome.

Dennis

• Like 2