This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Pat C

SA Bulldog - Airfix 1/72

This is my attempt at the old Airfix kit of the Scottish Aviation Bulldog, flying in RAF training colours of the mid 70s. With Mrs C frowning on additional shelf space being made available, kits of the size of the little Bulldog become more attractive - wonder what she will make of my plans to do an RAF Neptune???!!! 

47780722961_cc09e08b93_o.jpgbulldoga 

47780722391_a988f274d9_o.jpgbulldogd 

The kit is pretty basic but still quite crisply moulded. Mine was an older boxing with a Swedish Air Force trainer on the front. The critical advice is to get enough noseweight into this thing. I stuffed the nose with stell shot but there is very little space to cram much in and it was still determined to tail sit. In the end I hollowed out the back of the spinner and stuffed some Tungsten putty in there which just brought the CoG forward enough.

47780722161_2557e921eb_o.jpgbulldoge 

47780722541_92013df22c_o.jpgbulldogc 

The nose gear is very spindly and was snapped off early in the build and then vanished into thin air. In the end I fabricated a rather crude replacement from bits of white metal and thin metal tubing but it is just about passable. Decals came from an old Modeldecal set and represent an aircraft from the London University Air Squadron. Paint was Humbrol 208 for the red with Gunze white and Xtracrylic Light Aircraft Grey. I wondered about the instructions to paint the front tips of the blades red/white/red as most Bulldogs appear to have black/white striped blades - however Modeldecal were indeed correct that at the time this aircraft was portrayed (1976) it did have the red/white/red tips. If only you could rely on all decal instructions!

Hope you like!!

Pat

47780722751_1a35d174e7_o.jpgbulldogb 

47780721921_f06c996acf_o.jpgbulldogf 

Brilliant! I assume its size is diminutive, although to be honest I have no recollection of a 2 Pence coin!!! A foot in diameter for all I know...

Extremely sharp paint job. Did you play with an airbrush to get such a good finish?

Congrats!!!

JR

Beautiful Bulldog, great Photography too. Are those the Kit decals? Remarkably in register for an Airfix kit of that Vintage (I remember the 1/72  P51D and Mosquito NFXIX having Swedish AF decal options - a major market for Airfix at the time)

3 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Beautiful Bulldog, great Photography too. Are those the Kit decals? Remarkably in register for an Airfix kit of that Vintage (I remember the 1/72  P51D and Mosquito NFXIX having Swedish AF decal options - a major market for Airfix at the time)

Thank you! Kit decals went in the bin alas! They are Modeldecal for the stencils and the ULAS badge plus generic sheets for the serials and the roundels.

31 minutes ago, jean said:

Brilliant! I assume its size is diminutive, although to be honest I have no recollection of a 2 Pence coin!!! A foot in diameter for all I know...

Extremely sharp paint job. Did you play with an airbrush to get such a good finish?

Congrats!!!

JR

Thanks! 2p coin is very small 😉. Finish was airbrushed but it needed several touch up sessions to get the demarcation between red and white to my satisfaction.

pat

Posted (edited)

Beautifully made, especially for such a tiny kit. 

Nice to see proper RAF trainer colours and not that silly gloss black or all over 'biz-jet white' nonsense. Very well done!

Edited by Lord Riot

Brilliant job on that old kit, really nice work

Lovely work Pat, cracking little Billie! Brings back many happy memories of 70's UWAS flying!

Keith

Brilliant! Wish l had your eyesight that’s a sharp finish on such a tiny model.

Very smart!

There are at least two 1:48th Bulldog kits around. Honestly, when I saw the first photo or two, I thought it was one of those, built to first class standard.

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Smashing job on this tiny Airfix classic Pat.

Stunning example of such a smart aircraft. You have finished this so well.

Terry

Great result on a very old kit... lovely sharp paint work.

gazza l

Nice one Pat, a lovely build of a pretty little aeroplane, I'm thinking to keep an eye out for one if these. :)

Steve.

Great build of a pretty difficult kit to find these days, I've been looking for one for ages.

That's a great build. Hard to tell it's the old Airfix kit. I spent many a 'happy' hour in Bulldogs scaring my QFI and then later being scared by my students!!

Superb modelling Pat.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s we spent several family holidays at a house belonging to friends of my parents near St Andrews. I have happy memories of lying in the back garden watching the Bulldogs from the University Training Squadron at nearby Leuchars. It was always a slightly worrying moment when you heard the engine stop (presumably engine out drill or something similar) but they always got it going again!

Very nice! Love the old Airfix kits. Brings back good memories.

Hey, a little cracker!

Cheers

John

Corker!

Looks fantastic and just feels like a build that was heartfelt

I have a sweet little piper L-4 in the stash and your diminutive build has inspired me

Cheers

Bruce