SA Bulldog - Airfix 1/72

Lovely! 

I remember flying that very 'dog, too, albeit a bit later, as by the time I was on ULAS we had the props in black/white stripes.

My logbook tells me that I flew her with Sqn Ldr O'Brien on 9, 10 and 11 March 1980, and with S/L Drew the next day. Among lines and lines of Bulldog flying, I only flew '524 a few times after that - more often solo than dual, and with Don Merriman, our CFI, and F/L Lander, including a really memorable sortie from St Mawgan on Summer Camp. I have a feeling that she might have been the boss's aircraft, but I do remember being pleased when she was my allocated mount on the auth sheets, though XX553/07 was my favourite - first solo, most of my aeros, and the last aircraft I flew as a VR pilot. 

And Dick Ward very kindly gave me a sheet of the decals, too, and I once had a nice little model of '553 in ULAS markings, albeit not as nicely painted as that one!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jon Lake said:

I remember flying that very 'dog, too, albeit a bit later, as by the time I was on ULAS we had the props in black/white stripes.

That’s brilliant to hear that someone flew the aircraft that I modelled!! Thanks for letting me know 😁

19 hours ago, kapam said:

Did the Neptune ever come to fruition?

Ha! No although I’m doing a 3D printed Andover in 72nd which is a big old bird. The Neptune I think is bigger still but the good news is we are in the process of having our garage converted so I’m hoping for some extra shelf space !!!