SA Bulldog - Airfix 1/72

Brilliant! I assume its size is diminutive, although to be honest I have no recollection of a 2 Pence coin!!! A foot in diameter for all I know...

Extremely sharp paint job. Did you play with an airbrush to get such a good finish?

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

Beautiful Bulldog, great Photography too. Are those the Kit decals? Remarkably in register for an Airfix kit of that Vintage (I remember the 1/72  P51D and Mosquito NFXIX having Swedish AF decal options - a major market for Airfix at the time)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Beautiful Bulldog, great Photography too. Are those the Kit decals? Remarkably in register for an Airfix kit of that Vintage (I remember the 1/72  P51D and Mosquito NFXIX having Swedish AF decal options - a major market for Airfix at the time)

Thank you! Kit decals went in the bin alas! They are Modeldecal for the stencils and the ULAS badge plus generic sheets for the serials and the roundels.

31 minutes ago, jean said:

Brilliant! I assume its size is diminutive, although to be honest I have no recollection of a 2 Pence coin!!! A foot in diameter for all I know...

Extremely sharp paint job. Did you play with an airbrush to get such a good finish?

Congrats!!!

JR

Thanks! 2p coin is very small 😉. Finish was airbrushed but it needed several touch up sessions to get the demarcation between red and white to my satisfaction.

pat

Beautifully made, especially for such a tiny kit. 

Nice to see proper RAF trainer colours and not that silly gloss black or all over 'biz-jet white' nonsense. Very well done!

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

There are at least two 1:48th Bulldog kits around. Honestly, when I saw the first photo or two, I thought it was one of those, built to first class standard.

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That's a great build. Hard to tell it's the old Airfix kit. I spent many a 'happy' hour in Bulldogs scaring my QFI and then later being scared by my students!!

• Like 1

Superb modelling Pat.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s we spent several family holidays at a house belonging to friends of my parents near St Andrews. I have happy memories of lying in the back garden watching the Bulldogs from the University Training Squadron at nearby Leuchars. It was always a slightly worrying moment when you heard the engine stop (presumably engine out drill or something similar) but they always got it going again!

• Like 1

Corker!

Looks fantastic and just feels like a build that was heartfelt

I have a sweet little piper L-4 in the stash and your diminutive build has inspired me

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Fine little model indeed.  Another long-acquired kit that I really  must finish.

I didn't know what they were at the time, but Bulldogs were the first aircraft with RAF markings that I saw 'in the metal'.  They flew over the Scout centre north of Glasgow when I was there on summer camp in 1976.  I wonder what unit they would have belonged to; I imagine it would have been one of the UAS's.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1