AT-T artillery tractor 1:35 Trumpeter

i quite like artillery tractors - have the M4HST to build. watching this one to see if it is worth adding to the list

Hi all!

So here is the begin of my new project. Started as per instructions with the motor and the gearboxes, and the lower hull. The motor is almost a kit in the kit with about 30 parts! I also assembled the drive sprockets and the idler wheels. The two bottle like thingies belong to motor, these will be attached after the paint session, which will come soon.

That's how far I got. A nice and easy build so far.

AT-T-03.jpg

Thanks for looking, critiques and suggestions are always welcome!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 5

@Hamden Thank you very much, Roger!

Nothing much to see today, I just managed to attach the road wheel suspensions and some interior of the motor compartment and a few other small parts.

AT-T-04.jpg

AT-T-05.jpg

Thanks for looking! Critiques and suggestions are always welcome!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 6

Hi everybody,

didn't have too much benchtime, but I could do a little session in the paint shop, so the motor, gearboxes and the motor compartment got their colors. I also did a brown wash on all the white surfaces and did some chipping.

AT-T-07.jpg

AT-T-09.jpg

AT-T-11.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 7

Great work on the AT-T you have here.

Here's the thread from my local forum of the same kit.  The text is in estonian of course, but there are plenty of pictures you may find interesting. Guy, who's making this model, has served on the AT-T when in the army and thus familiar with the vehicle. 
http://www.militaar.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=39707

Hope you find it useful.
Kristjan

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

had a bit of a progress with my tractor. Started with the crew cabin, that's how far I got. Maybe the green color of the interior is not correct, but I don't have the correct blue/grey interior color and I didn't want to waste time trying to mix it. So I took the green as per instruction.

AT-T-16.jpg

AT-T-25.jpg

AT-T-28.jpg

AT-T-29.jpg

AT-T-30.jpg

AT-T-31.jpg

Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 3

Hello all,

this is my today's progress. Crew cabin interior is finished now. The side doors were done, the visors were placed inside the cabin and the decals were also attached. The decals on the dashboard did not turn out too well, especially the one right of the main instrument panel (decal #5). Trumpeter's decals are quite thick and sturdy and need a lot of softener to get them to settle onto the relief of the dashboard. Would have been better to cut it into pieces before placing it, because of my forcing it down some parts are now somewhat distorted. I think that once everything is installed it will be hard to notice it anyway.

AT-T-33.jpg

The parts fit is excellent, the side doors are like snap fit.

AT-T-36.jpg

AT-T-37.jpg

AT-T-38.jpg

AT-T-39.jpg

AT-T-40.jpg

Thank you very much for looking, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day!

Nick

Edited by flashlight
  • Like 5

thats really good. Love the dashboard - love that this is straight out the box. wondering if there is a period-equivalent AA gun we could mount on the back of this (or kit bash it as a mobile rocket launcher) - tempting to get one and think of a way to what-if something (radar, rocket launcher, drone launcher)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, robw_uk said:

thats really good. Love the dashboard - love that this is straight out the box. wondering if there is a period-equivalent AA gun we could mount on the back of this (or kit bash it as a mobile rocket launcher) - tempting to get one and think of a way to what-if something (radar, rocket launcher, drone launcher)

I'm just thinking that's a T-55 chassis, there's a group build somewhere on the horizon and there's also the BTM-3 trench digging version available...

Meanwhile I'm really enjoying the progress on this one.

Andy

On the brink of another unfinished project 🙄

Edited by Foxbat
Smelling korrections
  • Like 1

@robw_uk Hi Rob, thank you very much for your nice comment. Yes, I think it should look very mean with a 4 barrell AA-gun mounted on the cargo bay! Thinking about radar - as far as I know Trumpeter will release P-40 Long Track radar vehicle sometimes this year. As @Foxbat mentioned there is the BMT-3 trench digging vehicle also available from Trumpeter. The AT-T kit itself is a joy to build, the fit of the parts is excellent, although you have to fight some nasty mould seams and massive sprue gates.

@Foxbat Hi Andy, thank you for the nice comment. As fas as I know is the AT-T tractor based on the T-54 chassis, which is 180° turned around.

Have a nice day!

Nick

Hi all,

only limited workbench time, so I just had time to play about with the road wheels cleaning them from the sprue gates.

AT-T-20.jpg

I also worked on the wheel rims. Nice that they come on two black extra sprues, the fit is excellent.

AT-T-22.jpg

Vey annoying is the fact, that there are moulding seams running all around each and every rim. It would have been easy to just scratch them off, but additionally there is a slight moulding misalignment, so you have to sand each and every of the 20 rims flat to get rid of the small valleys running around the rims. I hope that you can see it in the pic.

AT-T-21.jpg

This was like assembly-line work! After doing this I swore that I go back to my small wingy thingies - less wheels!

That's all for now. Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 2

It's probably not much use to you now, but maybe those seams were on the real thing. I know it's a long shot but there are photos of Sherman road wheels that do show a seam running all the way around the circumference. Might be worth checking some photos.

John.

• Thanks 1

Hi everybody,

when you look at pics of the AT-T you will notice that the cabin has 3 back windows, not two, as Trumpeter makes us believe. The two circular back windows are covered with circular hatches, that are not provided with the kit. The right one is a bit smaller than the left. So I played a little bit with sheet styrene, this is the result.

AT-T-50.jpg

AT-T-51.jpg

Your opinions, please? They are not fixed yet. To the inside of the left hatch I will attach a handle, when I have found a suitable bit of photo etch.

I will not drill out the right window, for sure I would destroy the cabin with my "skill"

Thanks for looking.

Have a nice day!

Nick

Edited by flashlight
  • Like 2

Hi everybody,

I attached the scratchbuilt hatches after I could find a piece of photo etch that could be bent to a handle and made hinges from some small plastic rods, It's not perfect but for my limited scratchbuilding skills it's okay, I can live with it.

AT-T_63.jpg

AT-T_64.jpg

Before this I started to build the cargo bay which was easy and straight forward. The kit's exhaust openings are empty inside, on the real thing there are additional ducts, so I put pieces of a straw inside.

AT-T-41.jpg

AT-T-42.jpg

AT-T-43.jpg

AT-T-44.jpg

AT-T-45.jpg

Thanks for looking. Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Like 6