In desperate defense: Kawasaki Ki-61-Id HIEN, Tamiya 1/48

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

What a beauty!  That's a fantastic paint job on one of my favorite Japanese fighters.  I like the shots of the 'pit too!  Very nice indeed sir. 🙂

Thanks Gary! :thumbsup: Credit for the cockpit goes to Tamiya, it's so well detailed for injected plastic that it almost looks like resin!

2 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Very, nice I couldnt see  anything wrong.  The camo looks awesome and must have been difficult to get such a good finish!

Thank you! :thumbsup: But there's a glaring mishap, to wit a glue smear on the uprights of the back fixed canopy, that melted the alu paint .... :wall: 

The camo was just a matter of patience and spraying at very low pressure and very thinned paint. To answer your questions:

Why does it have a blue cross - is it to identify the aircraft as the squadron leader's?

Exactly so; the topic arose during my build, and @Andwil cleared that out:

Why does one of the victory symbols have a red line through it?

That's an interesting one: because that victory wasn't obtained by shooting down that aircraft, but by ramming into it (I'm not sure I'm using the correct English words, but I think you can get my point)

Why does the red around the gun ports bleed out to the sides, is it the heat from the guns?

No, what you see there are two different things (and I think you can just about make out that they are two different red shades): there is a red rhombus painted around each gun port, almost completely overlapped by the red tape patch used to protect the gun barrels from dust and debris, so you only see the side corners of said rhombus showing.

49 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That's first class Giemme, modelling at it's best!

Thanks Steve, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...