In desperate defense: Kawasaki Ki-61-Id HIEN, Tamiya 1/48

finito3

Hi everybody, here's my second completed model for the year. It's the excellent Tamiya 1/48 HIEN, here represented in the colours of the aircraft flown by Regimental Commander  Teruhiko  Kobayashi.

This kind of aircraft was mainly employed to defend homeland Japan from bombing raids during the last phases of WWII, hence the topic title.

The build took me a little over than 3 months, just like my last build, coincidentally a Tamiya kit as well - pretty quick, for my standard :wink:  Here are some details about the build:

KIT: TAMIYA 1:48 KAWASAKI Ki-61-Id HIEN (TONY) 

AIRFRAME: KAWASAKI Ki-61-Id 24 of 244th Sentai, Imperial Japanese Air Force

MARKINGS: Hinomarus and blue stripes airbrushed using self made masks; kit decals for all the rest.

PAINTS: Tamiya gloss alu and light blue, decanted from rattle cans; Tamiya JA Green for the mottling; Italeri Insignia Red for the tail and Hinomarus, Tamiya Flat Yellow and Red for the wing leading edge bands, Tamiya Flat Brown and Red for the propeller assembly, Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico for the interiors, plus other assorted paints for the interior details. 

WEATHERING: tempera washes, black for the movable surfaces and hatches, dark grey for the remaining panel lines. Some oil filtering on the red areas and the spinner/propeller

AFTERMARKETS: Quickboost resin cannon and machine gun barrels, Quickboost exhausts

SCRATCHBUILDING: Seat belts, with wine bottle foil; gunsight reflectors, from clear acetate

The kit is up to the excellent Tamiya standards, beautifully engineered and requiring just a bit of filler here and there, and only along the fuselage halves seam. The level of detail doesn't make you feel the need for AM, even in the cockpit area, IMHO - I indulged in the Quickboost resin gun barrels and exhausts set because they are such a prominent feature on this model, and the kit rendition (especially for the nose cannons) isn't on par with the rest of the kit.

Here's the WIP thread, in case you are interested in:

My thanks to everybody who followed along, supplying help, tips, insights, praises, etc: as usual, you are a wonderful lot! :thumbsup: A special thank you to my friend @Gene K for talking me into building this kit and providing a lot of reference material :thanks:

Let's see some pics (beware: a lot of them! :frantic: )- with one final note: at the very end of the build I had a relevant mishap, enough to compromise the end result (all my fault, BTW). Those who have followed the build already know, for the other viewers I will not mention it, let's see how bad it looks to you. Hint: more visible in the detail pics. All comments welcome

finito1

finito2

finito4

finito5

finito6

finito7

finito8

finito9

finito10

finito11

finito12

finito13

finito14

finito15

finito16

finito17

finito18

finito19

finito20

finito21

finito22

finito23

finito24

finito25

finito26

finito27

finito28

finito29

finito30

finito31

finito32

finito33

finito34

finito35

finito36

finito37

Ciao

Edited by giemme
Aftermarkets and Scratch building sections updated
  • Like 56

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Hi everybody, here's my second completed model for the year.

What a great collection of photos for my Giorgio scrapbook. Thanks.

Gene K

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Wonderful Giorgio. Nice looking Tony.

Thanks Benedikt :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, clive_t said:

Superb, well done Giorgio.

Cheers Clive, thank you :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, MikeR said:

Excellent!

Mike.

Thanks Mike :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, Johnny_Sokko said:

That's a tough camo. You handled it well.

It was quite some airbrushing job, indeed. :frantic: Thank you for the appreciation :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, Gene K said:

What a great collection of photos for my Giorgio scrapbook. Thanks.

Gene K

So glad you like it, Gene :thumbsup: 

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another top notch build Giorgio, beautiful.

Cheers Cookie, thank you, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Think I've said it before G - cracking job!! :thumbsup:

K

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. Great to see this in the RFI section and what an impressive result. Beautiful modelling as always! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Great to see this in the RFI section and what an impressive result. Beautiful modelling as always! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Nice job Giorgio :clap:

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding Giorgio!!!!!!!!

Thank you! :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, phantom61 said:

bravooooo....

:clap2: :clap2:

Troppo buono, grazie :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Londo said:

Fantastic build! Nailed it!

Thanks Londo !:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work as always ! :worthy: ... These are the best looking fighters japan had in my opinion. 

Thank you:thumbsup: And I quite agree, it's a beautiful looking airplane.

Ciao

• Like 1

A tough paint scheme to pull off, but you did well. Those subjects a bit more less common always make a display stand out. Very Well Done.    👍

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BerndM said:

Japans best looking fighter ( for me ) in a very colorful marking scheme and this in museum quality !

:worthy:

Thanks Bernd :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

A tough paint scheme to pull off, but you did well. Those subjects a bit more less common always make a display stand out. Very Well Done.    👍

Thanks Baldwin :thumbsup: It sure is an unusual subject

1 hour ago, tomthounaojam said:

Outstanding work and really envious of your camo, I m also building and old arii, almost done but need some correction, not as great as yours.

Thank you tom :thumbsup: Lovely scheme you have there, I don't see a reason for you to be envious :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

hello Mr G !!

Great swallow ! Really enjoyed both the Wip and RFI !

Congratulations !!:partytime:

I will be really glad if mine is finished half as good as your !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks CC :thumbsup:

On 09/05/2019 at 13:02, corsaircorp said:

I will be really glad if mine is finished half as good as your !!

It would be nice to see a completed HIEN among all the Corsairs you are building ... :whistle:  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Thanks CC :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see a completed HIEN among all the Corsairs you are building ... :whistle:  :D 

Ciao

Precisely my Dear !!

the F4U-1 Big Hog is in need of a prey....

One of the victories of John Thomas Blackburn was a Hien....

The way I must create the markings 😈

That's not really nice... I Know...

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very, nice I couldnt see  anything wrong.  The camo looks awesome and must have been difficult to get such a good finish!

I have a few questions as you've peaked my curiosity about an aircraft I know nothing about:

Why does it have a blue cross - is it to identify the aircraft as the squadron leader's?

Why does one of the victory symbols have a red line through it?

Why does the red around the gun ports bleed out to the sides, is it the heat from the guns?

• Thanks 1