Searching (again...?)

Hello,

I was wondering if there is an idiot guide for searching the site, other than using Google (other search engines are available).  Simply put, it would be great (IMHO) if one could narrow a search to a particular branch of the Britmodeller tree: I might be in the market for a new compressor, so I went to the Reviews section, Tools and Tips sub-section, and typed 'Compressor' into the search box.  The first hit (of many) was to the compressor faces of the Convair B-58 Hustler.  All good stuff, no doubt, but not really what I was after.

Am I missing some obvious search flag?  I've been in IT for 25 years, so its entirely possible I am missing some new-fangled but oblique way of doing things!

Mike

They're supposed to have improved the search facility with this new release, but I've not tested it yet.  The most important thing to remember when you're searching is that by default it searches EVERYWHERE, which I find a bit dumb, but that's just my opinion. 

• When you click on the Search bar, it will bring up a drop-down that will enable you to target your searching.  You can narrow it down to the forum you're in, the thread, members etc.  Try it and see what I mean.
  • You can also tell it to search ANY or ALL of your search terms, which removes false positives nicely.
  • You can also choose to search thread TITLES only, or CONTENT and TITLES, further shrinking down possible results.

I've found that it's often best not to search on the most obvious search criteria, but the most unique.  For example, rather than trying to search for "B-29", instead search for "Boeing" and "Superfortress", or any other salient search term that might get you better results.  IIRC the search will only work on 4 characters and above, although that might have changed.  It also didn't work with the - in B-29.  It treated it as "search for B but not 29".  Again, that might have changed, as I've raised it with them in the past.

If you're still having no luck, using the Google site search is a good plan.  You can see the format below, and although I know Mike already knows this, some of you might not :) Type that into Google replacing the searchterms with your required info:

searchterm#1 searchterm#2 searchterm#3 etc. site:britmodeller.com