Another Mosquito question...

Grey Beema

I am trying to convert the Tamiya Mosquito FBIV into the thimble nosed NFXIII.  I was quite happily plodding along doing the cockpit today when a thought suddenly struck me.  What was the radio fit for the MKXIII?  Was it the same as the FBVI  or different?  As most of it is visible through the canopy I would like to get it right...

Thanks in advance

35 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Thanks @brewerjerry but that's the AI fit, I mean the Transmitter / Receiver behind and to the left of the Observer..

Hi

doh 

my brain was not in gear 

cheers

jerry 

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

I *think* the radio fit was the same.  Btw the Airfix nf kit provides the fit as @brewerjerry has shown above.

I have a niggling thought in the back of my mind that at least some Mosquitoes (and I'm not sure about role, let alone Mark) had the radio gear shifted to the rear fuselage immediately behind the wing root.  Think I learned that from a thread some time ago which @Troy Smithwill no doubt have at his fingertips.

Edit: this contribution from @Dave Swindellmight be it but ISTR a more prolonged discussion.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044220-dh-mosquito-radio-question/

Edited by Seahawk

I am going to model an early MkXIII - I (with massive help from @Seahawk) have managed to identify a number of aircraft that I could model.  

Those being 

HK382 RO*I.  Thimble nose
HK413 RO*D. Thimble nose
HK418 RO*P.  Thimble nose
HK422 RO*Z. Thimble nose
HK428 RO*K. Thimble nose 
HK446 RO*Q. Thimble nose
HK463 RO*J.  Thimble nose
HK522 RO*L.  Bullnose
HK524 RO*F.  Bullnose
HK529 RO*V.  Bullnose
HK548 RO*B.  Bullnose.

Thanks for the images from @brewerjerry those are the for the MkVIII Intercept radar scope and controller.

My rendering of the IP & MkVIII controller

46869872355_96d06faa06_o.jpg.

In @Dave Swindell Post I read that an aircraft equipped with G had the aerial mast replaced with a whip aerial either behind the cockpit or in front of the bomb bay.  Most of the pics I have seen of 29 Sqn MkXIIIs both Thimble and Bullnose seem to have the mast, so they did not have G I am not sure if MkXIIIs would constitute late FBVIs with the Transmitter/Reciever moved to the fuselage but if that were the case - what goes on the rear shelf of the cockpit behind the observer and what fits into the slot behind the pilots seat?

Ah ha......

I think it should look look like this....

40820070983_fe4e6a3538_o.jpg

On the shelf should be - Modulator Unit Type 53 or 53a, Power Unit type 225 or 225a, Control Unit type 5.  

Transmitter Receiver type 3549 positioned in the fuselage..

Now to try and find photos.....  Google here I come....

On 04/05/2019 at 20:10, Grey Beema said:

I am trying to convert the Tamiya Mosquito FBIV into the thimble nosed NFXIII.

Presume you're doing this in 1/48, as a better starting point in 1/72 is the Tamiya NFXIII/NFXVII. The instructions give you the tamiya cockpit layout here. Note they give you a Gee set for behind the pilot's seat. The aerial for this isn't always easy to spot in photo's. Radios would be in the rear fuselage with contollers in the cockpit. Rear shelf would be mainly radar gear. I'm away for  a week so can't access books etc til I get back, but looks like you're on the right lines for research so far.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Ah ha......

I think it should look look like this....

40820070983_fe4e6a3538_o.jpg

On the shelf should be - Modulator Unit Type 53 or 53a, Power Unit type 225 or 225a, Control Unit type 5.  

Transmitter Receiver type 3549 positioned in the fuselage..

Now to try and find photos.....  Google here I come....

NB the 2nd of your diags is for SCR 720 known to the RAF as AI Mk X and ARI.5570 and appropriate to Mosquito XIX and 30.  

In The Aircraft of 100 Group Martin Streetly describes the complete AI Mk VIII (aka ARI.5093: your first diag is relevant) installation, as used in the Mosquito NF.XIII, as comprising a Type 53 modulator, a TR.3151 Transmitter, a Type 50 receiver, a Type 73 indicator unit, a TR.3152 interrogator (for use with IFF and beam approach systems) and a Type 225 power unit: no indication of what goes where.  As for photos, that book and its companion on modelling the aircraft of 100 Group are an excellent source of the detailed technical manual type of shots you are after.  Unfortunately I cannot see anything directly relevant to you in the former and my copy of the latter is apparently buried several archaeological layers deep in the chaos that is laughably called my model room.  But worth a flick through if you have a copy.

Footnote: Mosquito NF.XIII used by 100 Group's 256 Sq.

• Like 1

Interesting pictures!

Where ever any RAF Mosquito nightfighter shoot down and evaluated by the germans?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

1 B IV was at least paraded (T9+XB).

If it flew or not is a different story......

Not sure above any FB VI's (or above) though.

Edited by Lawzer