HMS Cornwall

Papa4ways

Hi Folk's,

I've just been made a present of the new Trumpeter 1/350 Scale Model HMS Cornwall, I've been through the plans quite thoroughly, it does look like it will go together well, and come out a good kit, there is one thing that is bothering me though, and I don't know if anyone else already has the Kit, and perhaps feels as I do, the colour plan, the instruction for painting the Deck is, Dark Sea Grey Vallejo 994, Tamiya XF50 and Humbrol 123, but, I have to ask, does anyone else think it's a bit too dark for a Royal Navy WW2 Heavy Cruiser Deck

The lower Hull instruction is also for a Cocoa Brown colour, Vallejo 985, Tamiya XF9 and Humbrol 177, I'm honestly none too happy with this colouring, and I would really appreciate other views on this, the Dark Sea Grey is not just on part of the upper Deck, it's from Stem to Stern, Upper Bridge Deck, top of Hangar Deck, the lot, which is why I'm asking for some ideas on what would be best.

I know plans are there for a reason, but I'm just asking for opinions, and hope no one objects 

As always, any and all help appreciated

Edited by Papa4ways
Spelling mistake

R.N. anti fouling red is what you want for the lower hull. I used to get mine from White Ensign Models, the company that now makes this is Sovereign Hobbies. www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

I haven't really looked in to Cornwall much, but when it comes to Royal Navy ships, all Trumpeter painting guides should be assumed to be completely wrong unless someone proves they accidently got an aspect correct. Their insistance on calling out neutral light greys for RN ships grates a bit, but then again nobody else has an accurate 507C so I suppose I can't blame them too much for that.

Unfortunately the site linked above has a flawed/outdated understanding of Royal Navy colours too and cannot be used as a source of colour information. Amusingly all of their Cornwall profiles except the 1936 one has an error - the buff upperworks was a myth, the neutrality stripes are backwards/French, they still think 507A and 507B were separate colours.

Regarding Cornwall during the early 1940s which I expect this kit is intended to be - there had been instructions to darken wooden decks in 1940, but this wasn't universally done. The steel decks historically usually were painted a dark grey but the poor quality photos of Cornwall sinking in 1942 appear to show light-to-medium tone on planked wooden areas, so in summary I would mistrust a blanket dark grey call-out for all decks.

Hi Jamie, Modelholic and richtea,

When it comes to Jamie, even me, as a fairly newish member, know about Jamie being so helpful, as he already has been to me on another couple of Models

The Model as I say is a good kit, it will come out good, the Deck is planked Stem to Stern, which makes me think, I should go with a wooden coloured deck, I've still got a nice mixed Mahogany, Sand Yellow and, and, and, sorry, I just can't honestly remember the third colour I added, but it's almost the colour you used on the HMS Exeter Jamie, so I'm thinking perhaps I should just use that on the deck, and perhaps use the Dark Sea Grey on the Gun Deck area, however, I could use your advice on the raised smooth Deck behind the Bridge, which is shown to be planked although it's smooth, I just wish I knew how to add photo's, I'd add the plans

There is the raised secondary Armament Gun Deck, perhaps I'll Dark Sea Grey the area where they are, as is the HMS Exeter Gun Deck, the front of the first raised Deck where the Bridge will sit behind the second Turret, has planking at the front, but just behind the Bridge, the Deck is smooth from the Bridge to where a large Hangar is located in front of the Rear Turrets, which the Painting Instructions require the builder to paint the front and back sides of the Hangar Black, Vallejo 950, Tamiya XF1, Humbrol 33, with an addition of Model Master 1749

What really is bothering me with the instructions, the Upper Hull above the Plimsoll Line and Superstructure, they've got it a Light Grey, Vallejo 907, Tamiya XF14 and Humbrol 147 with an addition of Model Master 1732, something I've never used, however, I wont be using this Light Grey, I really do feel a lot of Builders will be quite annoyed at the paint instructions, but like you Jamie, you'll probably throw them out altogether, which I really am now considering doing, seriously!

The Cocoa Brown I would never have used it, I'm a traditionalist, and I'll be sticking to Hull Red as I do at every turn 

Anyway, I hope I've managed to explain some of what is required

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

Hi,

Have you had a read of this thread? It's from the FAQs forum section and covers posting pictures :)

For what it's worth, the colour of all the verticals above the boot topping is almost certainly Admiralty Pattern 507C Light Grey, as was standard for all Royal Navy ships pre / early war on foreign stations.

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi,

Have you had a read of this thread? It's from the FAQs forum section and covers posting pictures :)

For what it's worth, the colour of all the verticals above the boot topping is almost certainly Admiralty Pattern 507C Light Grey, as was standard for all Royal Navy ships pre / early war on foreign stations.

Hi Jamie,

As always, thank you for all your advice regarding uploading photo's, but I would pick your brain slightly over this Deck colour on Cornwall

I went with as close to your Exeter colour as I could, but when it comes to Cornwall, do you think going with the same colour as Exeter would be alright

Edited by Papa4ways

59 minutes ago, Papa4ways said:

over this Deck colour on Cornwall

I went with as close to your Exeter colour as I could, but when it comes to Cornwall, do you think going with the same colour as Exeter would be alright

Hi, I'm in Schipol catching a connecting flight but in brief, yes, they'd have looked similar in that respect...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:59, Papa4ways said:

I know plans are there for a reason, but I'm just asking for opinions, and hope no one objects 

Just remember, a plan is a basis for change!

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on HMS Cornwall for anyone that might have the Kit, and who might be interested in painting her in an unusual colour, I found the attachment below, they have Cornwall in her launch/trial colour and then further colours, which I'm now considering

https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/cornwall.php3

If you already know of this fine, but I just thought it might add something to the discussion

10 hours ago, Papa4ways said:

I found this on HMS Cornwall for anyone that might have the Kit, and who might be interested in painting her in an unusual colour, I found the attachment below, they have Cornwall in her launch/trial colour and then further colours, which I'm now considering

https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/cornwall.php3

If you already know of this fine, but I just thought it might add something to the discussion

Hi,

Some commentary on that:

The China Stations scheme is a much-repeated myth. It was white hull and Foreign Stations Grey (Admiralty Pattern 507C upperworks), not white and buff.

The Indian Ocean scheme is generally correct, and names the correct paints but due to the legacy of people confusing paint recipes with paint colours and assuming 507A and 507B were different colours (they were most certainly not!), the depiction on the Indian Ocean scheme of the darker grey is a very dark.

The same issue confuses the Ceylon scheme below it. Admiralty Pattern 507B formula was not in use by 1942, but it makes no difference to a colour profile as 507A and 507B were exactly the same colour.

22 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi,

Some commentary on that:

The China Stations scheme is a much-repeated myth. It was white hull and Foreign Stations Grey (Admiralty Pattern 507C upperworks), not white and buff.

Typo: 507B rather than C

See my posting here; http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6188&start=280 

• Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:04, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi,

Some commentary on that:

The Indian Ocean scheme is generally correct, and names the correct paints but due to the legacy of people confusing paint recipes with paint colours and assuming 507A and 507B were different colours (they were most certainly not!), the depiction on the Indian Ocean scheme of the darker grey is a very dark.

The same issue confuses the Ceylon scheme below it. Admiralty Pattern 507B formula was not in use by 1942, but it makes no difference to a colour profile as 507A and 507B were exactly the same colour.

Wish I hadn't read that! But then on the other hand it is always good to improve one's knowledge.

What it means though is that my model of DORSETSHIRE (on which I based the colour scheme on a set of colour photographs I found on the internet which were supposedly of a contemporary model dating from 1935 in Hong Kong harbour) is completely wrong!  Of course, despite going through 3 pages of Google Images, none of those photos are now coming up.

Despite the fact that I now know it's wrong - I'm not repainting it!