Tornado F3, ZE161/DX, No. 11 Sqn, RAF Leeming, 1988

Well I did my best with this old kit, and despite my somewhat limited ability and the age of the plastic it hasn't turned out as bad as it could have done. 

Thanks to @At Sea for the 11 Sqn decals, superb!

It fought me all the way this, ill-fitting parts, mismatched fuselage halves and big gaps around the tailfin root to name a few. Oh and terrible fitting intakes. To top it off I ruined the canopy with thinners when trying to clean off paint, so I'm waiting for Airfix's spares team to send me a replacement, hence I didn't bother adding the ejection warning triangles on this canopy.

I made my own little forward fuselage aerials and a gun muzzle from bits of wire, and added that tiny aerial on the scoop in front of the fin, other than that she's oob.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 28

Well considering the bad reputation of the kit and your WIP certainly proved that, I'd say that's come out very nice, well worth the effort.

Who says you cant polish a t**d

May reach for one of mine

Darren

• Thanks 1

It really looks good! Worth the amount of effort you put in, it's come out about the best I've seen from the old Airfix kit.

Nice one 👏👏👏

Alan

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated! It was hard work at times but still enjoyable, definitely satisfying to tame a difficult kit.

I think I may do another Jag next, though not decided what markings or era yet. There's also still a Lightning, Hunter, Canberra, Phantom, Harrier T4 and another Tornado in the stash.

Or do I turn back the clock even further and do a Meteor, Javelin or Lightning F1!? ...

• Like 1

Very nice - it's better than their Bucc but maybe that's not saying much!  I built it more than a few years ago and mine is now looking the worse for wear.  I've had big problems over the years with the main u/c legs splaying under the weight of the model, fixed for the moment with blobs of super glue. 

• Thanks 1