Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice and steady there Giemme.

The pit looks good, and the extra scribing around the tail fin looks the part too.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: The fin exhausts may need some tidying up after a revealing primer coat, but I shall worry about that later ... :wink:  Happy Birthday, BTW! :thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Love the finish you've got on the coaming G - nice work all round!

K

Thanks Keith, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Awesome bit of detail up front. Imagine if it were a bigger kit though. All that detail you could have fun with. 😱

Johnny . 🥰

:rofl: You devil! :rofl: (I have a couple of 1/48 jets in my stash which scare me already if I think of the detail I should/could add ... :frantic: )

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Catching up for me Giorgio - great work on the coaming, worth the effort IMHO

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: The fin exhausts may need some tidying up after a revealing primer coat, but I shall worry about that later ... :wink:  Happy Birthday, BTW! :thumbsup: 

Cheers Giorgio, another year older but any wiser?

Simon.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Cheers Giorgio, another year older but any wiser?

Happy birthday from me too Simon - many happy returns :) 

• Like 2

Congrats to you Simon from me here. Giorgio, a very nice cockpit. Cheers

Edit: Sorry Giorgio; misunderstood that. Thought both of you had your birthday today. Cheers again.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Yes, I have been working too much. The only benefit of missing last week's update is that I only have to wait one more day for the next one! The cockpit looks wonderful and I like the details you're adding to the tail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2019 at 19:52, bbudde said:

Giorgio, a very nice cockpit. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

On 08/06/2019 at 04:28, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, I have been working too much. The only benefit of missing last week's update is that I only have to wait one more day for the next one! The cockpit looks wonderful and I like the details you're adding to the tail.

Cheers Cookie, thank you! :thumbsup:  I hope you'll enjoy this update, then.

Right, there we go: I managed to work on this during the week, but despite being all time consuming activities, there wasn't much to show.

I eventually completed the fuselage halves gluing

fuselage2

which left me with some ... jobs to do: the tail fin needs straightening, and in addition the starboard side of the back fuselage is offset (higher) compared to port side (check the hump)

fuselage3

of course, the fin also needed filling. Upfront the joint isn't too bad

fuselage4

Bottom side definitely in need of a lot of TLC, and rescribing

fuselage5

Same for the rudder cutout

fuselage6

There is also a self inflicted issue, to with an excess glue where a clamp was located, on top of the fin

fuselage7

both sides, obviously :wall: 

fuselage8

After an inordinate amount of sanding, filling, sanding again and polishing, I eventually got to a satisfactory finish

fuselage9

I still need to rescribe, but first I need to even out the rudder cutout, so I glued some styrene strips to fill in the bigger voids

fuselage10

fuselage11

While this was drying, I started to deal with the main wing and the front wheel bay/bottom intake, doing some dryfit to check how much room I could use to improve the bay interior

frontbay1

So I added some cabling and piping with twisted copper wires and some 0.3mm solder, plus some tape stripes

frontbay2

frontbay3

The real thing is a lot busier than this, but in this scale I don't think adding too much will look realistic, so I glued the part in place

frontbay4

frontbay5

frontbay6

I then also glued the intake centerpiece

intakes1

This is going to need quite some filling. Next time, though :pilot:

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 19

Hi Giorgio. Sorry I'm late but it looks like you have been making excellent progress! As usual all your modelling skills are bringing this project to an impressive level! I will try and drop by more often!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Well well well. Nice well. 🤩 excellent work Giorgio. If I remember right there’s something tricky with that tail end around the exhausts. I’m loving watching this. Top stuff. 👌

Johnny,

:rofl: Thank you, Johnny :thumbsup: You remember correctly, and I wouldn't exactly use the word "tricky" .... but let's stay polite, I'll keep the Anglo Saxon for my cave...

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Looking at your usual awesome best already G

👍

Thanks Bill, glad you like my efforts :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Sorry I'm late but it looks like you have been making excellent progress! As usual all your modelling skills are bringing this project to an impressive level! I will try and drop by more often!

Kind regards,

Stix

No problem Stix, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi everybody;

not much time for modelling during the WE; I had to take care of my yard and clean up the swimming pool (and I'm not done yet ... :frantic: )

Anyway, here's what I did: I almost completely refined the tail fin, cutting away the excess plastic I previously added and sanding everything flush

fuselage12

fuselage13

Then a dryfit of the rudder, which shows job to do on it and on the fin

fuselage14

fuselage15

So I first fixed the fin: more plastic (styrene sheet, 0.5mm thick) added at the base

fuselage16

Then another strip added to the top of the rudder

fuselage17

and after some cutting, sanding and polishing, here's another dryfit of the rudder in the intended position

fuselage18

I meanwhile also worked on the main intakes: CA glue as filler for the inner side seams

intakes2 intakes3

Then this set of tools to sand and polish

intakes4

It actually needed two attempts at filling with CA, with subsequent sanding and Dremel-polishing (I nicked that idea from Tony @TheBaron). One word of advice, though: that Dremel tool on the left (I think it's called felt) can be hard on plastic (don't ask .... :chair:) so one has to use it very light -handed and at low speed.

Last thing for this update, I glued in the central plate on which the exhaust nozzles will insert

fuselage19

This has a triangular mounting peg on the back side, which doesn't fit in the receiving hole (the latter being formed by the two fuselage halves joining there, but one side is clearly badly moulded). I forgot to take a "before" pic, but I had to remove part of the peg to actually have this sitting on the centerline

fuselage20

I haven't rescribed the missing panel lines on the tail fin area, yet, because I first want to glue in the spine and airbrake, which are going to cause more filling and sanding.

That's it for this update, any comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 18

Precise surgery as usual , I can't believe you added some 3 ( maybe 4 ? :jealous: )  mg of plastic on the rudder , which seemed allready pretty well adjusted !

Your search for excellence is allways an example !

keep on !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, basket said:

Precise surgery as usual , I can't believe you added some 3 ( maybe 4 ? :jealous: )  mg of plastic on the rudder , which seemed allready pretty well adjusted !

Your search for excellence is allways an example !

keep on !

You're far too kind, basket :thumbsup: But I don't feel it was that precise kind of a job, the gaps I filled in with plastic strips were quite noticeable by the bare eye :) 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice fettling Giorgio :) 

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Yep, what they said. Good work.

Stuart

Thanks Ced and Stuart, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2