Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

giemme

Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

Recommended Posts

Thanks CC, but I think I can fix it without resorting to an aftermarket. I just wanted to gather someone else's opinions on whether the kit nose is actually off or not 😉

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I tried to take a pic of the model with a different light and angle

test

 

and then overlapped it onto Keith's @keefr22 pic (I hope Keith doesn't mind :) ) 

 

confronto

 

With all the possible caveats that apply to this being a very approximate comparison, it looks like the kit radome shape in general is pretty good, but can use a bit of beefing up and reshaping at the very tip (so Bill @perdu is right)

 

You will also notice that the IP coaming in the kit is too short by a good amount - this is a known issue, as I could see also from @The Spadgent build of this kit 

Plenty to do already, this should be fun! 😁

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, giemme said:

and then overlapped it onto Keith's @keefr22 pic (I hope Keith doesn't mind :) ) 

 

 

Not in the slightest Giorgio, 'tis why I said there were no copyright issues so you could do what you like with it! Looks like it shouldn't be too bad a fix. It does look like the kit radome could do with having a sharper point to it. The Xtrakit Sea Vixen has a similar problem so I 'fixed' that by drilling a hole through from the inside and sticking a cut down sewing needle through. Filling and sanding around the tip of the needle to blend it in made the radome look a lot better. 

 

I thought your description of the kit's nose droop as being like a tapir was spot on! 

 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It does look like the kit radome could do with having a sharper point to it

Agreed - in fact, I forgot to mention that in my post :thumbsup:

 

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

The Xtrakit Sea Vixen has a similar problem so I 'fixed' that by drilling a hole through from the inside and sticking a cut down sewing needle through

That sounds like a great idea, thanks! :thanks: 

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I thought your description of the kit's nose droop as being like a tapir was spot on! 

Yeah, I know, sometimes I'm such a poet .... :rofl2::rofl2: 

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit off topic but another shade of grey and very speedy. Too speedy for the police here in the city.

130771533-bocholt-O544O9ee.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice overlay between those two images Giorgio. Always a great diagnostic tool with photos and drawings. 

 

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

fixed' that by drilling a hole through from the inside and sticking a cut down sewing needle through

Simple. Elegant. Superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super pigeon!

 

well doesn’t that pic change the perspective! Nice work giemme 👍🏻

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bbudde said:

A bit off topic but another shade of grey and very speedy. Too speedy for the police here in the city.

130771533-bocholt-O544O9ee.jpg

This pigeon was surely on his way to bring some secret messages to the @general melchett 

However It's not Speckled Jim but this one seem to be more efficient !!

Poor general !! He will be fined now !!

Sincerely.

CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

He will be fined now !!

30 was allowed; 15 too much -3 tolerance means 12 over the limit and 25€ "Bußgeld wegen einer Ordnungswidrigkeit". The proper authority will take care about that, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That overlay looks very helpful Giorgio, and I agree there is little to do it seems other than around the tip.

 

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Damn, late again, think I got the dates wrong. :( & what do I find on arrival, wall to wall riff raff doing a good impersonation of a rabble. ;) :D Luckily I'm tall & if I stick to the side away from the bar I should see enough, already looking very handy for the couple I have in stock. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Nice overlay between those two images Giorgio. Always a great diagnostic tool with photos and drawings. 

 

Simple. Elegant. Superb.

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: And I agree about Keith's proposed reworking of the nose tip :wink: 

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

well doesn’t that pic change the perspective! Nice work giemme 👍🏻

 

Rob

Thanks Rob :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That overlay looks very helpful Giorgio, and I agree there is little to do it seems other than around the tip.

 

Terry

Thanks  Terry :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Damn, late again, think I got the dates wrong. :( & what do I find on arrival, wall to wall riff raff doing a good impersonation of a rabble. ;) :D Luckily I'm tall & if I stick to the side away from the bar I should see enough, already looking very handy for the couple I have in stock. :)

Steve.

Welcome on board Steve :thumbsup: 

 

More dryfitting last night, mostly involving the resin parts coming from the PAVLA set

dryfit16

 

IP and tub

dryfit17

 

and a comparison with the kit part

dryfit18

 

the resin tub goes in place without requiring any scraping/filing whatsoever, just a tad of fettling to be located on the reference tabs inside the fuselage

dryfit19

 

As you can see, the resin IP addresses the missing coaming part, too

dryfit20

 

With the seat

dryfit21

 

This is the kit canopy: probably the worst piece of clear plastic I've seen so far, with a lot of flesh, a central moulding seam and and the fit ....

dryfit22

 

dryfit23

 

The windscreen goes on par with that

dryfit24

 

dryfit25

 

There's a gap between the front bottom part of the windscreen and the fuselage, a gap between the windscreen and the canopy (although this can probably be fixed by carefully positioning the former), and a gap between the fuselage and the front part of the canopy , both sides. I'm gonna have to check the fit of the PAVLA vacformed replacements, but anyway I think I'll go with open canopy and closed airbrake.

 

Comments welcome


Ciao

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, need a  Pavla cockpit set, they look rather good to my eye. I've also just realised this is the earlier of the Revell Typhoons, I've one of each, you don't fancy doing one of the later ones next Giorgio, eh.......? :D

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the pit looks rather busy and much better than the kit parts. Can't beat resin on these things imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All looks good there Giemme.

The canopy needs work or replacing as you said.

The pit is much better too, and yes, close the air brake, easier to paint and mask, plus saves detailing it . 

 

Awaiting some colour now.

 

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Right, need a  Pavla cockpit set, they look rather good to my eye. I've also just realised this is the earlier of the Revell Typhoons, I've one of each, you don't fancy doing one of the later ones next Giorgio, eh.......? :D

Steve.

It looks good indeed, Steve - let's see how it is with some paint on, but I don't think I'l be disappointed. I used a PAVLA set for an Harrier build too, and I can say it was great value for the price.

As for the later Revell boxing of the Typhoon: I read about that, can you actually tell what the improvements are? The fact that the new box only contains decals for one exemplar bothers me, but owning this set gives me plenty of choices.

 

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Yep, the pit looks rather busy and much better than the kit parts. Can't beat resin on these things imho.

Thanks Benedikt; I think resin in 1/72 gives you an optimal level of detail without having to sell a kindey (in most cases, that is .... )

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

All looks good there Giemme.

The canopy needs work or replacing as you said.

The pit is much better too, and yes, close the air brake, easier to paint and mask, plus saves detailing it . 

 

Awaiting some colour now.

 

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  Painting stage for IP,tub and seat next, so you won't have to wait too much :winkgrin:

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Giorgio !

Nice resin !! 

It's not difficult to do better than the original plastic parts....

Transparencies are a pity...

So, waiting now for Giemme magic painting !!

Sincerely.

CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, giemme said:

can you actually tell what the improvements are?

Nothing that jumped out when I fondled mine. :) They're 'sposed to be slightly simpler than the early ones & I'm sure I've read that there are fit issues, maybe about the intakes but I might be confusing the later one with the one you're doing, mine are still on the sprues so I haven't done any test fitting yet. The cockpit parts looked better & I'm pretty sure the the main canopy still has a mold seam on it though. :(

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the cockpit set is a must alright, very nice. Your Typhoon is already very cool looking in just the dry fit stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !

Nice resin !! 

It's not difficult to do better than the original plastic parts....

Transparencies are a pity...

So, waiting now for Giemme magic painting !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup: some more work needed before painting the interiors, see below

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nothing that jumped out when I fondled mine. :) They're 'sposed to be slightly simpler than the early ones & I'm sure I've read that there are fit issues, maybe about the intakes but I might be confusing the later one with the one you're doing, mine are still on the sprues so I haven't done any test fitting yet. The cockpit parts looked better & I'm pretty sure the the main canopy still has a mold seam on it though. :(

Steve.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: I wouldn't mind doing one of these in flight, so I'll keep an eye on it 

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It looks like the cockpit set is a must alright, very nice. Your Typhoon is already very cool looking in just the dry fit stage.

The PAVLA set is definitely a huge improvement on the kit cockpit, at least at a first glance. After more dryfitting last night, I thin kI'll go with the vacformed canopies, also because the resin bit that goes inside the opening one doesn't fit in the kit canopy - and the corresponding kit part is way off.

 

So, before priming and painting the interiors, I assembled the rudder pedals to the central column

tub1

 

What I did to mount them is to cut a length of 0.4mm brass pipe, drill a passing through hole in the column and glue the brass pipe in. The pedals were then glued on top of it with CA. They need a bit of cleaning, though - I couldn't see that even with my magnifying glasses  :chair: 

 

tub2

 

 

Glued in place

 

tub3

 

Once I clean up the pedals, I'll be ready for primer

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the pedals Giemme, 

The Lady Rose found out that you were building a Typhoon.

So she got me this one.

 

Typh 1.

 

Typh 2

 

Not so many parts, no painting nor decals either.

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 3D puzzle! She's so sweet, isn't she? Lady Rose, I mean :thumbsup:

 

4 hours ago, chrislowe said:

Lovely! Good work on the pedals.

Thanks Chris! :thumbsup:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

So she got me this one.

I'm not quite sure, but you should do it for her of course and challenge it with Giorgio one's. So run for your likes, I think :whistle:

Edited by bbudde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with this one Giorgio. I’ll not point out all the problems I had as you were there at my build but it’s a lovely kit all said and done and I’m sure you’ll have fun with it.

Good choice with the new canopy and the open position too. If I remember correctly the pavla one was a bit of a pig to fit too. 🤪

No matter what I’ll enjoy running along with you if that’s ok.

 

Johnny. 🤗

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...