Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

Thanks everybody for the praises, guys - they are much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

Happy New Year to you all, once more - apologies for the lack of updates, there's been some progress though. Here we go:

the canopy received a first coat of Tamiya Flat Black - outside

canopy19

and inside

canopy20

so did the resin part for the back canopy structure, with some grey drybrush on top of it and some detail painting

canopy21

canopy22

Then in glued it inside the canopy, using Gator's Grip - I'm growing fonder and fonder of this glue!

canopy23

BTW, I had to clamp the canopy to fit to the framing, as it was slightly larger. I then brush painted the mirrors with a silver lacquer

canopy24

The outisde then received a coat of Tamiya Sky Grey + Flat White, gloss coat, stencils, another gloss coat and a final Italeri Flat Coat

canopy25

canopy26

canopy27

Definitely in need of some touch-ups, but nothing dramatic.

Various other bits and bobs received a dark wash and a flat coat, like the ordnance

flatcoat1

tanks, pylons and movable surfaces

flatcoat3

U/C doors

flatcoat4

something went wrong with the canards, though :wall: 

flatcoat2

I hope I'll be able to fix it without too much damage .... :hmmm: 

On the main aircarft, I started with the panel lines wash: black tempera first around the exhaust area

weathering1

Dark grey oil wash on the bottom

weathering2

That's it for the day, all comments welcome!

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 21

Wonderful work as always Giorgio. My one of these is going to feel so deprived as I don't lavish this sort of care & attention to it. :D  Happy New Year to you & all the other inmates of this thread, I been a bit slack with my greetings so far this year. Maybe the way I 'll end up going on. :(;)

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Well, Oh well: Well done Giorgio!! Looks the part and that in 1:72! Jooh, gut gemacht. Respekt!

Danke vielmals, Ben! :thumbsup: 

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio - lovely detailing, as usual :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  I'm a little concerned with that sort of gunk on the canards, though ...

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is clearly a very nice canopy (sorry ... :)  )

Cracking update Giorgio, she's looking wonderful  - impressive work all round and I really like the ordnance!

Great stuff !! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  The canopy is vacformed, so clarity as per expected :wink:  The ordnance is the best in 1/72 I've seen so far, speaking of injected plastic - so once painted and with all the stencils on it quite looks the part :) 

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wonderful work as always Giorgio. My one of these is going to feel so deprived as I don't lavish this sort of care & attention to it. :D  Happy New Year to you & all the other inmates of this thread, I been a bit slack with my greetings so far this year. Maybe the way I 'll end up going on. :(;)

Steve.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: Same kit? 

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The canopy is its own project Giorgio, wonderful detail. And the weathering looks great too.

Thanks Cookie, glad you like it :thumbsup:  I still need to glue in the handle bars, but I want to do all the required touch ups, first

Ciao

• Like 1

Details are looking great giemme, have you ever considered doing a crap job on something just to take the bar down a bit so it makes your life easier and our expectations lower? I’ve tried it on all my builds and it works a charm, I definitely do it on purpose, I’m not just mediocre you know 😃.

i jest, I love seeing your top quality work and learn so much! 

Rob

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Lovely (small) canopy G.  Very neat.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: It's not that small (for 1/72), you know - much bigger than many WWII fighters in 1/48, for instance :) 

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the canopy G.

All looking swell and I am sure that you will  be able to sort out those pesky canards sir.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: I hope I can fix them (and I noticed something similar on the flaperons :wall: )

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

One of these & one of the later ones, so far. :)

Steve.

Ah, good. I know the later ones have a separate tail fin, which is surely a good improvement. I wonder if Revell kept the same wing engineering, though... aligning the bottom side of the joint is a complete mess!

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

A big catch up for me Giorgio. Excellent modelling in every regard. A superb Italian Typhoon emerging here.

Terry

Thanks Terry, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, Massimo said:

Great job on that canopy and missiles!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!:clap:

Grazie Massimo! :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, rob85 said:

Details are looking great giemme, have you ever considered doing a crap job on something just to take the bar down a bit so it makes your life easier and our expectations lower? I’ve tried it on all my builds and it works a charm, I definitely do it on purpose, I’m not just mediocre you know 😃.

i jest, I love seeing your top quality work and learn so much! 

Rob

Sometimes I don't need to consider it, it just happens... like with those canards :frantic: :D :D  

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Did anyone mention the great work on the canopy?  :dog:

... and to think there's plenty of time and chances to screw it up completely, still... :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Happy New Year. I've not dropped by for a while but it looks like you've been getting on superbly anyway!! Fantastic modelling as always and that canopy is awesome!. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 08/01/2020 at 09:24, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Big catch-up for me.  I’m surprised no-one has mentioned that excellent canopy...

I wonder what they were looking at ... tsk... :rofl: :rofl: Thanks Crisp! :thumbsup: 

On 10/01/2020 at 16:43, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Happy New Year. I've not dropped by for a while but it looks like you've been getting on superbly anyway!! Fantastic modelling as always and that canopy is awesome!. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank Stix, way too kind :thumbsup:  Happy New Year to you and Mrs. Stix! :) 

Right, some modelling done. The canopy received some touch ups and the handle bars were glued in, using Gator's grip

canopy28

canopy29

canopy30

canopy31

I then completed the panel line wash for the upper side, using a dark grey oil wash; before

weathering3

and after

weathering4

The idea was to keep it subtle, as the aircraft was almost pristine in 2006 and you really needed to get up close to see the panel lines.

Once the wash had dried, I sprayed a couple of flat coats:

flatcoat5

flatcoat6

flatcoat7

I used Italeri Flat Clear, which is not dead flat; I feel it is more appropriated for this kind of aircraft and scale.

I also somehow managed to fix the canards, by brushing on an Aqua gloss coat and respraying the flat one

flatcoat8

I also did some prepping job for the undecarriages - time consuming, but nothing worth a pic, yet.

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 19