Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

14 hours ago, giemme said:

As for the curved surfaces, the trick is to use blue tack: just put a blob on the curved part where the clamp is supposed to "bite", it will prevent it from slipping away

Noted.

Good problem solving Giorgio 👍

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I just read that Airbus is withdrawing from the competition for new fighters in Canada. Bummer - I would loved to see them over on this continent.

Cheers,

Bill

Too bad :(  - they're a joy to see while flying :)

30 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Noted.

Good problem solving Giorgio 👍

Thanks Steve 👍🏻

Ciao

On 08/09/2019 at 22:34, giemme said:

Clamps on!

wings16

Hi Giorgio. Looks like more excellent progress! Well done. :thumbsup:

Looking at your photo above - perhaps kit boxes now need a clamp rating printed on them as well as the number of parts and how much photo-etch is in the box, etc. I have a total of two clamps. This kit obviously requires more clamps than I have so I may not have purchased it! Your kit looks like it would have had a "9 clamp" rating - taking it way out of my league! :winkgrin:

Hope you manage to get the gaps sorted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Hi everybody;

apologies for the lack of updates during the week, but most of the modelling I did wasn't really worth reporting. Today I managed to complete some of the chores I tackled, so here we go:

top wings glued

wings17

some issues to deal with: a step here

wings18

sorted with a riffler file ( thanks @CedB :) ) and my trusty ETS

wings20

The wing to fuselage joints remained slightly gappy in places

wings19

so I had to fill in with more plastic shims

wings21

starboard wing too

wings22

and underneath

wings23

The clamps were there because the joint along the slat line wasn't properly glued during the first go, so I had to use more TeT

wings24

While waiting for the shims to cure, I tackled the wing root gaps: filling in with more shims first

wings25

wings26

There was a vent here that needed to be removed in order to fill in and sand flush

wings27

So I first scratch built a replacement by plounge molding it around a toothpick and cutting to shape

wings28

The shims got cut and roughly sanded with another riffler file

wings29

Vent removed with this Dremel tool

wings30

I decide to add material using styrene sheet, warmed up and bent around a brush shaft

wings31

I then cut it to size and glued in place with TeT

wings32

wings33

And left to cure. 

Here's starboard wing bottom joint filled in and rescribed, with a black tempera wash to check the lines

wings34

In retrospective, I shouldn't have used plastic shims to fill in, because I then needed to go over them with CA to be able to rescribe the slat line. This was by far the longest task I had to deal with this week. I will fill in the gap on the other wing using only CA or CA+flour

wings35

Nice gap, ain't it? :wall: 

There might be more tomorrow. Meanwhile, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

Lovely catching up here Giorgio. You're well on top of this. :clap2:

Watched one of these in RAF colours drifting around in the cirrus above Lyme Bay at the start of the summer and amazed at how quickly it would appear and disappear from view against differing backgrounds, even when watching intently through binoculars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Giorgio, you're getting those gaps under control! That little vent is impressive.

I'm going to rescue a Yoghurt pot from the recycling and have a go at using it for seam filling - looks like a good technique, thanks.

Pleased that you're finding the riffler files useful :) 

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2019 at 22:03, TheBaron said:

Lovely catching up here Giorgio. You're well on top of this. :clap2:

Watched one of these in RAF colours drifting around in the cirrus above Lyme Bay at the start of the summer and amazed at how quickly it would appear and disappear from view against differing backgrounds, even when watching intently through binoculars.

Thanks Tony, much appreciated :thumbsup:  The grey shades are very effective as a camouflage against a Northern sky, aren't they? :wink: 

On 14/09/2019 at 23:43, The Spadgent said:

Looking at the amount of work going into those wing hollows I’m glad I didn’t know about them on my build. 😮 You’re doing this kit proud Giorgio, I’m in awe. 🙌

Johnny

I'm still convinced yours wasn't that bad of a kit - better moulded, so to say. And thanks! :thumbsup:

On 14/09/2019 at 23:49, keefr22 said:

More good modelling tips there G, good progress, she's coming along well!

K

Cheers Keith, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Some splendid progress there Giorgio.

I like the idea of the locking clamps and there’s a Le Roy Merlin just outside Limoges, so the next time we’re there I’ll have a look.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:  Locking clamps are very handy, do get some, you won't regret :) 

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio, you're getting those gaps under control! That little vent is impressive.

I'm going to rescue a Yoghurt pot from the recycling and have a go at using it for seam filling - looks like a good technique, thanks.

Pleased that you're finding the riffler files useful :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  You want to get one of those big yogurt cup that have an outside cardboard shell, while the inside is made of very thin plastic (styrene, in fact). It's thinner than any styrene sheet I could buy. More riffler files action, see below :wink: 

So I tackled the underside wing root, and using riffler files and various sanding/polishing tools I got this

wings36

Followed by some rescribing and a black tempera wash to check if everything was fine

wings37

This took quite some time, all in all a good 4 hours to get both sides done; in fact, I had to keep doing minor fillings with CA as I went, to obtain a smooth surface and a correct shape transition from front to back.

Little vent in place with some TeT

wings38

And here's the other side, after sanding

wings39

and after rescribing and the usual black wash

wings40

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 10

Bravo sir. You’re a better man than I . Alas I know the pain of knowing that you need to correct a bit because it will eat at your very soul for ever if you don’t. Please from now on I’ll build my kit first, you can follow. 🙌 I’m still reeling from Lancaster windows. 🤣🤪

Stunning and beautiful work from the Stable. 👌

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Great work Giorgio, I'm sure those repairs will vanish under the primer :) 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

You want to get one of those big yogurt cup that have an outside cardboard shell, while the inside is made of very thin plastic (styrene, in fact). It's thinner than any styrene sheet I could buy. More riffler files action, see below

Ordered! Mrs B used to have those but has now started buying larger cartons "as they're cheaper". I had to put on my 'sad little boy' face and she's now kindly agreed to get me three or four :D Honestly, the things we have to do for our modelling…

How are you finding the riffler files? The ones you have look like 'diamond files' which perdu tells me are great for removing chunks of plastic but not as good for finer, smoother work. The ones I have are steel - but then they take longer to remove lumps :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Bravo sir. You’re a better man than I . Alas I know the pain of knowing that you need to correct a bit because it will eat at your very soul for ever if you don’t. Please from now on I’ll build my kit first, you can follow. 🙌 I’m still reeling from Lancaster windows. 🤣🤪

Stunning and beautiful work from the Stable. 👌

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated :thumbsup:  Shall we cross check our stashes then? I've got no big bombers in mine, though, so you can go on at ease with them :wink:  :rofl: :rofl: 

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio. As above. Nice fixing. Just, what expected you to do with it . Yep!  :goodjob:

Cheers Benedikt

Thank you Benedikt :thumbsup: 

50 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great work Giorgio, I'm sure those repairs will vanish under the primer :) 

Ordered! Mrs B used to have those but has now started buying larger cartons "as they're cheaper". I had to put on my 'sad little boy' face and she's now kindly agreed to get me three or four :D Honestly, the things we have to do for our modelling…

How are you finding the riffler files? The ones you have look like 'diamond files' which perdu tells me are great for removing chunks of plastic but not as good for finer, smoother work. The ones I have are steel - but then they take longer to remove lumps :hmmm:

Cheers Ced, thank you :thumbsup: Smart move on the yogurt, can you please post a pic of you showing your 'sad little boy face'? I might try that too with my wife ... :rofl: 

(No, not your face, me doing that face to my wife ... :rofl: :rofl: )

As for the riffler files, mine are sort of in the middle: not for refining but definitely not so harsh to remove large chunks of plastic in a few moves. I found them quite controllable just by varying the pressure or changing the "angle of attack" :wink: :D .

For refining and polishing on curved surfaces, I use a nail polishing stick; something like this

29ab82949aeba5f92424af7ac1e4265a.jpg_340

where you have three different grades of abrasive/polishing surface, stuck on a soft support. Actually, to reach curved areas, I removed said surfaces from their support and stuck them on cocktail stick ends - in fact, that's what I used to refine those wing roots.

Ciao

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, giemme said:

…can you please post a pic of you showing your 'sad little boy face'? I might try that too with my wife ...

You asked for it!

48742669391_712ecf6298.jpg

I had several attempts at that and they all look more like 'sad old man' faces but hey, if it works…

Can't see the picture of the nail polishing stick, it just throbs grey at me :( 

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

You asked for it!

48742669391_712ecf6298.jpg

I had several attempts at that and they all look more like 'sad old man' faces but hey, if it works…

As seen on Crimewatch!!!!

Nice work on those joints G.

Like the selection of files.

Simon.

• Haha 4

On 16/09/2019 at 12:51, CedB said:

Try this

essence.jpg

On 16/09/2019 at 12:51, CedB said:

:rofl: :rofl: OK, I'll give it a try...

On 16/09/2019 at 13:38, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on those joints G.

Like the selection of files.

Cheers Simon, thank you :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I actually bought them myself rather than ‘ borrowing ‘ them from SWMBO

Same here. You don't, and I can't stress enough "don't", want to mix up tools with SWMBO .... :D 

Ciao

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Unless the good lady indulges that is.

You are indeed a lucky guy :D

My bestest to Lady Rose :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1