Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

Just now, keefr22 said:

You could always build it as a RAF 74 Tiger Squadron jet - then it wouldn't be....!!

Hold on Keith, I have the Airfix kit for a proper British Phantom, this one

airfix-a06016-1-72-mcdonnell-douglas-pha

:) 

Just now, keefr22 said:

good work on the gaps! 

Thanks, I'm quite happy with that :thumbsup: 

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

Hey guys Giorgio is cheating, he's using FURREN SUPERGOO

:rofl: Wait, is that a real thing? Where do I get it? :D 

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Yes, I've explained it to Erwin in post #344, but here it is again just for you:

Ah yes.  Just yesterday then.......Looks like I've got problems with attention as well as memory.......

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, giemme said:
1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

You could always build it as a RAF 74 Tiger Squadron jet - then it wouldn't be....!!

I've got a soft spot for the 74 squadron jets as well (altho IIRC isn't there a debate about what colour grey they were painted? (More shades of grey anyone? - boom - boom :blush:)) cos back in the day my Jag squadron and 74 used to do a lot of affiliation training together (and had the odd party.....)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I've got a soft spot for the 74 squadron jets as well (altho IIRC isn't there a debate about what colour grey they were painted? (More shades of grey anyone? - boom - boom :blush:)) cos back in the day my Jag squadron and 74 used to do a lot of affiliation training together (and had the odd party.....)

Steve, Silvano @phantom61 is the guy for that, he has probably already built one of that squadron :)

Ciao

Edit: I didn't supposed you had parties... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Sorry G, but you can't do a 74 machine from that one. 74 only used the F-4J (UK) and FGR2. The only RAF squadrons to use the FG1 were 43 & 111. Or I suppose you could do one of those there fishhead jets... :rofl2:

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

isn't there a debate about what colour grey they were painted?

They were delivered in US 'equivalent' colours over a particularly strong yellowish primer that gave them a greenish grey hue. There's a Lifecolor Japanese Navy grey acrylic that's supposed to be a very good match! IIRC they also had an incorrect serial font. Most (all?) of them were eventually resprayed into the correct UK greys with the correct serial font.

Keith

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Or I suppose you could do one of those there fishhead jets... :rofl2:

Yes, that's what I meant. They are British after all, aren't they? :confused:  :rofl: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Steve, Silvano @phantom61 is the guy for that, he has probably already built one of that squadron :)

Ciao

Edit: I didn't supposed you had parties... :rofl:  :rofl: 

74 Squadron

of course...
I built 8 phantoms all UK  🇬🇧

IMG_6207

IMG_6205

IMG_6168

this is the last born ...
FG1 111 Sqn XV 574

Edited by phantom61
  • Like 9

Lovely fixing up G. I can’t remember having the step problem when I built mine.

hang on I’ll have a look.

B32DAD7F-6FF3-4920-B24C-1AAB512E179C_zpsvplydrqq

ahhhh as you can see it looks like I didn’t realise that the under wing step problem was a problem. Seems I made quite a feature of it. Ahhhhh ignorance is indeed bliss in my case. 🤣😇 good luck with your one though, a shim and some filling. I’m always reluctant to co cRaZy with the files mind.

🤞🤞🤞🤞

Johnny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 05/09/2019 at 17:04, keefr22 said:

Or it was a cunning plan Johnny - hide it in plain sight...!! :)

K

Indeed! :rofl: 

On 04/09/2019 at 23:44, The Spadgent said:

ahhhh as you can see it looks like I didn’t realise that the under wing step problem was a problem. Seems I made quite a feature of it. Ahhhhh ignorance is indeed bliss in my case. 🤣😇 good luck with your one though, a shim and some filling.

:rofl: TBH, after I read your post I spent quite some time looking for a decent picture of the Eurofighter underside. In fact, there is a panel line there, both sides, so I somewhat understand Revell's rationale in engineering the kit this way. Too bad that they got it wrong in size, though: the rectangular part should extend more backwards (see pic, sorry for the size)

underside

the black line is the actual panel line, the red one shows where Revell put it. The back portion of that rectangle simply isn't there. So it's gonna be shimming, filling, reshaping (riffler files arrived, @CedB :wink: ) and rescribing. Fun! :)

Ciao

• Like 5

The Typhoon is coming along splendidly Giorgio. I thought of your byuild a few days back when we had the Bournemouth Air Festival down here. We live just the other side of Poole Harbour, which is where a lot of the fast jets often hold while waiting their turn to display. We were treated to our very own low level flypast (3 or 4 times) by a very noisy Typhoon. Certainly livened up the sleepy village of Langton Matravers for a few minutes! The Draken was quite neat too.

Terry

• Like 3

Thanks Terry :thumbsup: The Typhoon flypasts must have been exciting! I was lucky enough to see one a couple of years ago, while at the seaside in Southern Italy.

BTW, my eldest daughter was in Bournemouth for a couple of week of studying holiday last August - she liked the place :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, time for WE progress report.

Wings: as I mentioned, I will tackle the bad fitting underside once the top wings are in place. Before that, more surgery was needed, since I want to represent the flaperons in the up position; so out came Airwaves micro saw, and I started separating the two movable surfaces 

wings6

and after some time and patience

wings7

As you can see, the four of them sport a sink mark, in correspondence with the hinge moulded on their underside; a quick fill in with CA+flour, some sanding and polishing and..

wings14

here they are. Time to dry fit the wings, then:

wings8

wings9

:hmmm: Gappy, especially port wing.

Underside:

wings10

The seam parallel to the leading edge will be a lot less evident once the wings are clamped for gluing, but the segment that runs along the wing tip must simply be filled in (it also goes across the slats panel lines ... ). Same for the other side

wings11

So, before fitting them permanently, I thought of gluing some plastic shims on the wing roots (wing side), 0.3mm thick for port wing and 0.15mm - from yogurt cup, yeehh :D -  for t'other (I used TET for the job)

wings12

wings13

Once cured, I trimmed the excess with a razor blade and refined by sanding/polishing. You may notice that the corner formed by the leading edge and the root is quite irregular, so I filled it in again with CA+flour and reshaped, prior to gluing the wings in.

Another dry fit

wings15

Less gappy, but it will probably require more TLC after gluing.

Clamps on!

wings16

TET again for the job, now curing overnight.

Comments welcome :) 

Ciao

• Like 14

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looks like you have more clamps than Ced!

I don't know, John: what you see in that last pic it's almost all I have ... :rofl: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking good Giorgio. I do like the look of the big clamps, is that a locking one on the rear of the port wing? If so, where from?

My main problem with clamps is keeping them attached on curved surfaces!

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nobody has more clamps than Ced LOL.

Nice and steady G. 

You will sort this problem out in no time what so ever .

Simon.

Thanks Simon - yes, a bit more filling required but I'm almost there now :D  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That sounds like a challenge...!!

Neat gappy filling G!

Keith

:rofl: A challenge I will not take up, Ced is unbeatable! And thanks for the comment, Keith :thumbsup: 

24 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Looking good Giorgio. I do like the look of the big clamps, is that a locking one on the rear of the port wing? If so, where from?

My main problem with clamps is keeping them attached on curved surfaces!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: Yes, it's a locking clamp (there's actually two of them in that pic, one being upside down and not showing the release trigger). I bought them in a hobby and craft store, Le Roy Merlin to be precise, years ago. I have no clue about the maker, but I can check if there's anything moulded or stamped on them

Edit: Found this on Amazon.it I wouldn't know how to call it in English, though: http://tinyurl.com/y2bjom5z

As for the curved surfaces, the trick is to use blue tack: just put a blob on the curved part where the clamp is supposed to "bite", it will prevent it from slipping away. HTH

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1