Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Again, it looks good enough for me, but I'd really appreciate your comments on this.

My comment is: "Remarkable" Giorgio.

So out came the Stabilo eraser gum

I inserted a rod in it (it's actually a straightened paper clip) to give it some rigidity and keep the curved shape

Did I say "Remarkable"?  I meant "Inspired and Remarkable"

Seamless "intakes" ready :)

Speechless.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice intakes Giorgio - amazing job :) 

Thanks CEd, I'm glad you like my effort :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Andwil said:

Brilliant work on those intakes.

AW

Thanks AW :thumbsup: Looks like you set the trend for the following comments :D

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's a bit brilliant. After seeing you do this & the Sea Vixen, I'm thinking there is something in this idea, quite a lot in fact. :)

Steve.

Very kind of you to say so, Steve :thumbsup: I think you meant the Skyray though, I've never built a Sea Vixen :wink: 

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I don’t think you would have achieved anything better with the resin set, another ‘ brilliant! ‘ from me.

John

I'd be curious to see what the resin set look like, John - especially in 1/72. But thank you anyway, much appreciated :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work on the intakes, great attention to detail.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Add me to the 'brilliant list' too G - that's a brilliant improvement to the kit!! I'd completely forgotten that excellent idea of yours of using an eraser as a vac. mould! :thumbsup:

K

You're on the list, K :D Thanks for your comment, mate :thumbsup: I must say, anyway, that the eraser template isn't an original idea of mine: I copied it from a very well known Italian modeller, who used it to reproduce the sand covers on a Macchi C202 (or C205?)

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

My comment is: "Remarkable" Giorgio.

Did I say "Remarkable"?  I meant "Inspired and Remarkable"

Speechless.

That is a flattering comment, thanks Steve :thumbsup: 

57 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

G. you should go into the A/M business mate.

Superb stuff sir.

A stickler for detail , you have done a very nice job there.

Simon.

I'm already in the AM business, Simon: as a regular paying customer :rofl: :rofl: Thank you for the appreciation, mate :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, bbudde said:

As all above. Nothing more to say. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Fantastic job on the seamless intakes, Giorgio, but I do think the sensor is far too big!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: The sensor is definitely oversized, but the macro effect makes it worse than it is. In real life, the oversizing it's barely noticeable; I guess I'll call it artistic modeller license :) 

Ciao

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I wondered how I could have missed 'Giorgio builds a Sea Vixen'....!!! :)

K

You know, I wouldn't even know what the options are out there, in terms of Sea Vixen kits :shrug: Although if I'm not mistaken, a while ago I saw Bill @perdu building one of these and maybe also Bill @Navy Bird ? Or is my memory playing tricks on me? 

19 minutes ago, Massimo said:

Very nice paint job on that ccockpit!

Those intakes are a real pain , but you did a fantastic job and they look very much like the rea thing!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: Glad to hear from you :)

Ciao

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, giemme said:

You know, I wouldn't even know what the options are out there, in terms of Sea Vixen kits :shrug: Although if I'm not mistaken, a while ago I saw Bill @perdu building one of these and maybe also Bill @Navy Bird ? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I built the old MPM kit, albeit with a ton (and a half) of modifications. It's a bit of a "non-tidy" kit to put it politely. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

I also have the CyberHobby Sea Vixen in the stash along with its assortment of aftermarket. What I should do, however, is get a High Planes Sea Vixen so the shape of the fuselage is correct. Sounds like an idea for another kitbash...

By the way, great work on the intakes! I built the Revell 1:72 Eurofighter way back when, but I puttied up the kit intakes and used them. I was never really happy with it though. Here is a link (can this really be from 2011 - yikes!):

I currently have the Hasegawa 1:72 Eurofighter in the stash, and a resin aftermarket piece for the intakes. If I recall correctly, it's from Olimp. Yup, that's right:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/olimp-resin-accessories-ora-72-30-ef-2000-typhoon-seamless-intakes--251132

It looks like there will be a lot of puttying and sanding even with these parts! Don't you love it when seamless intakes have seams?   :doh:

Looking forward to more installments, Giorgio. Whatever shade of grey is used.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

I think you meant the Skyray though, I've never built a Sea Vixen :wink: 

You're right, now I think of it,  it was your Skyray build I was trying to think of. In my defense I'm doing night shifts just now & last night our time was my first of 3 x 12 hour shifts we do at a time so almost completely brain dead. :(  I fear I may have been getting mixed up with (please let me get it right :pray: ) Perdu's Sea Vixen. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, multiple times over ...................... nice intakes Giorgio! The method is ingenious, and will no doubt be shamelessly copied by me, and many others on here. 

Great stuff

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First things first Giorgio. Happy Birthday. 🙈 Belated I know but I’ve been out of action for all of August so far. You’re going amazingly on the Typhoon. I remember it being a pain to build but I’m sure I didn’t go into as much detail as your good self. That intake sensor is a wonderful example of your ATD. Brilliant work sir. 🙌

Johnny

ps. Was that new kit a 1/48? 🤔 hmmm next stop 1/32 then..... 🤗

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2019 at 21:58, Navy Bird said:

I built the old MPM kit, albeit with a ton (and a half) of modifications. It's a bit of a "non-tidy" kit to put it politely.

You're definitely being too polite... :D I thought I had seen this build of yours, but now I realized I didn't; peculiar camo scheme, love it! :clap: 

By the way, great work on the intakes! I built the Revell 1:72 Eurofighter way back when, but I puttied up the kit intakes and used them. I was never really happy with it though. Here is a link (can this really be from 2011 - yikes!):

Thanks Bill :thumbsup: I briefly considered going with the kit intakes, but discarded the option quite quickly: I knew I wouldn't have been happy with it.

I currently have the Hasegawa 1:72 Eurofighter in the stash, and a resin aftermarket piece for the intakes. If I recall correctly, it's from Olimp. Yup, that's right:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/olimp-resin-accessories-ora-72-30-ef-2000-typhoon-seamless-intakes--251132

It looks like there will be a lot of puttying and sanding even with these parts! Don't you love it when seamless intakes have seams?   :doh:

I'd be curious to see how the Hasegawa kit builds, so now taht I know, I'll put some mild pressure on you next time you complete a build and you have to decide for the following one :whistle: :rofl: The Olimp kit doesn't seem to be really worth it, but then again it's something your good self can unveil to the non initiated ... :)  

Looking forward to more installments, Giorgio. Whatever shade of grey is used.    :)

Thank you :) Mostly Italian grey shades :D 

On 16/08/2019 at 22:06, stevehnz said:

You're right, now I think of it,  it was your Skyray build I was trying to think of. In my defense I'm doing night shifts just now & last night our time was my first of 3 x 12 hour shifts we do at a time so almost completely brain dead. :(  I fear I may have been getting mixed up with (please let me get it right :pray: ) Perdu's Sea Vixen. :) 

Steve.

I do remember a @perdu 's Sea Vixen, so it must that one  :D Pardon me for asking, are those shifts because you are on some military service or is it a "regular" job? :frantic: 

On 16/08/2019 at 22:58, Cookenbacher said:

Wow Giorgio, incredible work!

Thanks Cookie, glad you like it! :thumbsup:  

On 16/08/2019 at 23:11, Terry1954 said:

At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, multiple times over ...................... nice intakes Giorgio! The method is ingenious, and will no doubt be shamelessly copied by me, and many others on here. 

Great stuff

Terry

Do copy it, Terry - that's exactly what I did and so far I'm very happy with it :thumbsup: 

On 17/08/2019 at 09:55, The Spadgent said:

First things first Giorgio. Happy Birthday. 🙈 Belated I know but I’ve been out of action for all of August so far.

Thanks Johnny, very kind of you :thumbsup: 

You’re going amazingly on the Typhoon. I remember it being a pain to build but I’m sure I didn’t go into as much detail as your good self. That intake sensor is a wonderful example of your ATD. Brilliant work sir. 🙌

Cheers, much appreciated :thumbsup:  It didn't seem that painful reading your WIP back then, and I must also say I'm putting in some self induced punishment with the resin cockpit and the scratch built alterations ...  :shrug:  :) 

ps. Was that new kit a 1/48? 🤔 hmmm next stop 1/32 then..... 🤗

It is 1/48, but I think you're not spotting the pattern here: I normally build jets in 1/72 and propellers in 1/48 ... :wink:  Exceptions may apply, anyway, but I figure scaling up to 1/32 would drive me nuts with extra details .... :frantic:  :pilot: 

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Pardon me for asking, are those shifts because you are on some military service or is it a "regular" job? :frantic: 

Regular job, operator in an MDF plant, it doesn't do much for the soul, only marginally more for the income & when retirement happens in a couple of years or so I'll not be looking backwards as I head out the gate, that said, there're many worse jobs about & I reckon the money is about commensurate with the stress levels. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Hi everybody, time for WE progress report :) 

Almost time to assemble the bottom wing to the fuselage, but a few tasks needed to be done before that. First off, the exhaust: the kit supplies them in two parts, the internal trunking and the outside cans. You need to fit the outside bits first, then the trunking - I don't like that, but there's no way to fit the inner part afterwards, so I decided to cheat a bit. Here's a dryfit

exhausts1

the inner parts in this shot were held in place with blue tack. The toothpick is to spread open the top fuselage, which otherwise won't fit flush with the bottom side, moulded with the wings.

In fact, dryftting them shows a barely acceptable alignment (whereas originally there was a step of a good two millimeters, the top fuselage being narrower than the bottom)

exhausts2

exhausts3

Starboard side also shows a gap, but it's just a matter of clamping and it will align OK.

Anyway, the plan was to fit the exhaust trunking without having to glue in the cans, but for this I needed to paint the former: Model Master Metallizer Exhaust, airbrushed and buffed after a few minutes

exhausts4

The left one also received a drybrush with Italeri Steel on the turbine blades. Here are both done, with a black wash

exhausts6

To glue them in place I added two supports made from sprue gates

exhausts5

Another dry fit to check if the alignment was good

exhausts7

and I eventually glued them (again, a blob of blue tack underneath both of them to help positioning)

exhausts8

exhausts9

Another task that needed to be done was the detailing of the main wheel wells: it's pretty busy on the real aircraft, I limited the additions to some relevant cabling/piping

mainuc1

mainuc2

mainuc3

While waiting for glue to set/cure, I glued in the refueling probe door, which despite a blob of blue tack (again!) as support, doesn't fit very well (known issue with this kit)

fuselage87

I'll have to do some filling here, once cured. 

One more thing: the timeframe for the aircraft I'm modelling is 2006, so no PIRATE sensor on the nose, the first Italian Typhoon equipped with that was delivered in 2007. This specific aircraft did receive this update, but only later. So I filled in the two mounting holes with CA and sanded flush

fuselage88

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13

Great fettling Giorgio, you are sorting this one nicely

The sinking refueller, have you tried sitting it on a bed of PPP then wiping away the excess when it has begun to stick

Might save some refilling later (refuelling point 'almost' humour)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work in sorting out those tail pipes G.

Did you trip to Milan go OK?

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: The visit to the Air Museum in Malpensa was great - lots of jets and some pioneer aircrafts. Quite some civvies too. And lots of helicopters! The museum is in the former Caproni production plant, and there's even a Bertone collection with dozens of concept cars

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Great fettling Giorgio, you are sorting this one nicely

The sinking refueller, have you tried sitting it on a bed of PPP then wiping away the excess when it has begun to stick

Might save some refilling later (refuelling point 'almost' humour)

Thanks Bill, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Too late for your suggestion, I've already glued the little b...ger. Smart one though - similar to what I did with milliput for the airbrake. I should have thought of that :banghead:

Ciao

• Sad 1