Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

Hi everybody, here's WE (meagre) progress - actually, most of the work was done on Saturday, I had friends over today, so not much got done :) 

Ordnance received all its stencils - a lot of them! :frantic:

ordnance1

This task took most of the modelling time of the WE, and drained most of the mojo....

So I ended up doing some minor jobs, like painting the assorted antennae by brush using Italeri Flat Black

antennae1

antennae2

adding a black tempera wash to the exhaust nozzles

painting54

and masking the canopy. Outside

canopy8

and inside

canopy9

The model and various bits and bobs also received a final Aqua Gloss coat, and are now ready for panel lines wash and a very restrained weathering.

Still, the thing that bothers me more now is how to reproduce the internal details of the canopy, to wit the three rear view mirrors and the two handle bars; those are quite distinctive features, and I just can't get away without scratch building something to represent them - PE parts would have been a nice complement, but the Pavla cockpit set doesn't offer them .... :shrug:

I shall ponder...

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

PS: there's bound to be one more update before Christmas, but just in case: Merry Christmas everybody!

Edited by giemme
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Ordnance received all its stencils…

Check scale…

Oh good grief, your poor eyes :crosseyed:

Great work Giorgio, as always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done (obvs) G.

I can imagine that the canopy handles could be fabricated from fine brass or nickel rod, bent around a (tiny) shaped former; If they're big(?) enough to be on a PE fret they may be big enough to make in this way(?)

The rear view mirrors will be harder; I can't think of any obvious alternative to PE - especially as the mirrors are probably curved to match the canopy shape (although reproducing the curve wouldn't be essential would it?).  I can just about envisage individually cutting them from very thin brass or plastic strip - but I'd guess it's a trial and error job.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The stores look sweet G.

That canopy is a poser of a question though.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  yes, definitely some head scratching needed for the canopy, see below

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The details are all adding up as usual with your meticulous builds Giorgio - that's a lot of stencils.

Merry Christmas Giorgio!

Cheers Cookie, thank you! :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

Impressive work decalling those missiles.

Buon Natale Giorgio.

AW

Grazie AW! :thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Check scale…

Oh good grief, your poor eyes :crosseyed:

Great work Giorgio, as always.

:D Patience and mojo were much more affected than my eyes, Ced :frantic: I wear an Optivisor (sort of... ) when I do that kind of job :) 

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Nicely done (obvs) G.

I can imagine that the canopy handles could be fabricated from fine brass or nickel rod, bent around a (tiny) shaped former; If they're big(?) enough to be on a PE fret they may be big enough to make in this way(?)

The rear view mirrors will be harder; I can't think of any obvious alternative to PE - especially as the mirrors are probably curved to match the canopy shape (although reproducing the curve wouldn't be essential would it?).  I can just about envisage individually cutting them from very thin brass or plastic strip - but I'd guess it's a trial and error job.

Thanks Steve, I was thinking along the same lines. See this pic for details (from www.drivefly.it, posted only for modelling discussion purposes, will remove if asked)

eurofighter-ef-2000-a-typhoon-079

The handles are .... "curvy", on different planes too; thin brass rod should do the job, provided that I put together a bending template, as you say.

As for the rear view mirrors, I think they should be thin brass too. I've scratch built some in the past, it's easier to shape the rounded ends using a Dremel sanding disc. The problem is that I need to produce three that are reasonably identical (can one say that? :shrug: :D ) . I have an idea on how to actually build them shaped like in the above pic, but I agree with you it's gonna be a lot of trial and error. If I can't succeed, I'll cut them out from a straight brass strip.

Ciao

• Like 10

I "used" to make mirrors in 72nd from thin black plasticard cut to shape with a couple of bits of thin brass rod as the 'connectors' with the 'mirror' painted on with a chrome pen, dunno if my shaky, arthritic fingers could do it these days. And no doubt yours will be better!

Those missiles look ace G!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Giorgio!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd be tempted to try thin plastic strip for the mirrors as it tends to be easier to get it to curve sideways like that. A chrome pen, and you should be good to go.

Happy New Year too!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

On 23/12/2019 at 16:27, keefr22 said:

I "used" to make mirrors in 72nd from thin black plasticard cut to shape with a couple of bits of thin brass rod as the 'connectors' with the 'mirror' painted on with a chrome pen, dunno if my shaky, arthritic fingers could do it these days. And no doubt yours will be better!

Those missiles look ace G!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Giorgio!

Keith

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup:  I went for plasticard mirrors, see below :) 

On 27/12/2019 at 09:57, The Spadgent said:

Great little catch up G. She’s looking great. Glad you got through “Decal hell” 👹 the canopy is looking spot on too. 🙌

Merry Christmas dear boy. 

Johnny

Thanks J, glad you like my efforts :thumbsup: 

On 27/12/2019 at 14:46, limeypilot said:

I'd be tempted to try thin plastic strip for the mirrors as it tends to be easier to get it to curve sideways like that. A chrome oven, and you should be good to go.

Happy New Year too!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: Thin plastic strip was, see below

So following the advice of so many reputable BM members, I decided to give plasticard a go to scratch build the three rear view mirrors. the front side of the canopy is roughly an arc of a 12 mm diameter circle, at this scale; so I traced two concentric arcs on thin plastic, 12 and 10 mm diameter respectively, to get this

canopy10

I then cut three identical (-ish ... ) segments and rounded the edges with a flat micro-file

canopy11

In a similar fashion, I did cut a longer arc, to act as front frame for the canopy, where the mirrors are going to be positioned; I then glued it in place using TET, sticking it to the previously added styrene framing

canopy12

canopy13

I then glued in the mirrors, using Gator's Grip to position them properly, and going along the edges with TET to reinforce the bond

canopy14

canopy15

I think they should look OK for this scale.

Next, handle bars: I used some 0.5mm brass pipe, bent to shape around a wooden template

canopy16

then slightly bent sideways and cut to shape

canopy17

and brush painted Tamiya Flat Black

canopy18

I will add them once the canopy has been painted, otherwise they'll get in the way of the inside masking.

All comments welcome - meanwhile, Happy New Year everybody! :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 18

21 hours ago, giemme said:

So following the advice of so many reputable BM members, I decided to give plasticard a go to scratch build the three rear view mirrors. the front side of the canopy is roughly an arc of a 12 mm diameter circle, at this scale; so I traced two concentric arcs on thin plastic, 12 and 10 mm diameter respectively, to get this

canopy10

See, I told you yours would be better than mine, I just used to scribble a rough shape on the plasticard and cut it out! That is very neat work!

Hope you and yours have a Happy, Peaceful and Healthy New Year Giorgio! :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2