Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

On 02/12/2019 at 13:20, Courageous said:

Cans, ordnance look great and the vac canopy is looking pretty neat.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, glad you like them :thumbsup:

On 03/12/2019 at 10:51, CedB said:

Oh they do Giorgio, they do :) 

Looking forward to the canopy too - great work so far.

Thanks Ced, much appreciated :thumbsup:

See below for some more work on the canopy

So, I started posing the decals/stickers; actually, I began from the pylons stencils, because I had no recollection on how Revell decals behave, so I thought I'd try with something not so visible

decals1

In fact, I noticed the decal sheet says "Printed in Italy for Revell", so chances are that they are Cartograph - :phew: In fact they are pretty thin and go down well.

I then moved to the 1000lt tanks

decals2

nineteen (19) stencils each, including this nice NO STEP

decals3

Which is basically the only one you can read :frantic: 

In the middle of all of this (and for my own sanity) I started adding some internal framing to the canopy, using the very advanced and technological device you see in next pic to hold the styrene strip in place while waiting for Gator's Grip to set

canopy6

Now on for more decals - next update tomorrow, probably....

All comments welcome, meanwhile

Ciao

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Decals? lots of the buggers mate.

Indeed! :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Not much done today; the wife and I went to the movies after lunch (Knives Out: not bad, although I suspect I'll have to watch it in the original language to appreciate it more). In the remaining time I managed to put all the stencils needed for the movable surfaces

decals6

Then I tackled the main aircraft, starting from the roundels

decals4

decals5

They are in two pieces (which I don't like), so the idea is to pose all the remaining decals/stencils before putting on the green circles so that the red/white roundels will have definitely settled. That's the plan, anyway...

I hope to be able to do more during the week - till then, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Using decals for the roundels! Shame on you.:rofl:

:D Actually, I briefly considered painting them, but they are too small for masks, especially the central green dot. The risk would have been to have non perfectly round masks, and with colors that bright, they'd have stood in your face ...

Ciao

• Like 5

On 09/12/2019 at 14:58, Mutley said:

Top work, I will have to reference back to this when I do the exhausts on my Tornado F3

Thanks Mutley, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Quick update, everybody: I completed the stenciling for the underside

decals7

There are a lot of stencils, as you can see :frantic:  

decals8

decals9

It took a couple of sessions to do the job, now I'm having a bit of a pause before tackling the top side...

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio. Looks very serious! Can I say so?  Anyway looks the part!!

Cheers Benedikt

I guess you can, Benedikt :D Thanks :thumbsup: 

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking great G. Laborious yes but worth it.

And yes mate, take a break and refresh the eyes sir.

Simon. 

Cheers Simon, ready for another session now! :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stencils, don't you just hate them, particularly those on the underside. Are you sure they are all there...:wicked:

Stuart

Positive .... :fight: And yes, like all decals, I hate them ... but they really bring any model to life :D 

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

All those visual details are accumulating very nicely indeed now  Giorgio.

Bravo.

Thanks Tony, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Good job on a horrible job! :) 

I'd say tedious more than horrible, but it's just nuances ... :D Thanks Ced :thumbsup: 

19 hours ago, Mutley said:

Be grateful it's not the Phantom 🤣🤣

Been there, done that .... twice: 

family

Although, to be fair, the F-4C didn't sport as many stencils as the Navy's F-4J, being operational in Vietnam with frequent repaints and all (I had first hand news about that, from the specific aircraft's very pilot :wink: )

About to start another decals session, later for some update :) 

Ciao

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The above pics show that you've already managed to make the grey scheme interesting Giorgio, very nice.

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup: Decals job completed, see below :yahoo:

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

You can say that again! Ask me how I know:

100_1520

Cheers,

Bill

:frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  OK, I shall never build a Japanese Phantom :D 

As I said, I eventually completed the decals job:

decals10

Most of the stencils are almost invisible, but believe me they're there! :frantic:

decals11

decals12

I actually still need to put a few stencils on the canopy, whenever I paint it, and on the ordnance - but that was enough for the WE.

In between stickers, I added more framing to the canopy, gluing in styrene strips with Gator's grip

canopy7

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Looking mighty fine G.  Impressed with that framing on the canopy.  Was that the ‘normal’ or thin blend Gator’s Grip?  I’m belatedly learning to appreciate it.......

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: It's the normal blend; first time I use it myself, upon suggestion from "the usual suspects" :D  My limited experience so far is that the styrene strips wouldn't glue right away to the clear canopy (presumably PET), they sorta needed a primer coat (the glue itself). After that, they stuck on beautifully; after I took that pic, I attempted sanding to refine the edges, and the bond seemed to be very strong. We'll see if it stays like that. HTH

Ciao

• Like 7

Really nice job Giorgio..:thumbsup:

I will finish a F4-B in 2020, but at the time ... looking at the "This is just the stencil decal sheet" give me some headache...

Viet Nam era it will be... But when I look at the pics of the real thing... Stencil are on... A lot of indeed.

Can't wait to your Tiffy in RFI, another gem for sure !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

When it comes to stencils I tend to only use the larger, more obvious ones and leave off the very tiny ones as 1) they are usually illegible; 2) can’t be seen on the real thing unless you get up really close to the airframe; 3) make the model look spotty which I don’t like; and 4) I’m lazy.

AW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I like that canopy framing G, very neat! And good work on the decals!

Keith

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup:  The framing needs refining along the bottom edges, but I'll make sure Gator's Grip has fully cured before attempting any.

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Really nice job Giorgio..:thumbsup:

I will finish a F4-B in 2020, but at the time ... looking at the "This is just the stencil decal sheet" give me some headache...

Viet Nam era it will be... But when I look at the pics of the real thing... Stencil are on... A lot of indeed.

Can't wait to your Tiffy in RFI, another gem for sure !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup: Stencils on a Phantom are part of deal - you can't just pass on them ... :shrug: :D 

12 hours ago, Andwil said:

When it comes to stencils I tend to only use the larger, more obvious ones and leave off the very tiny ones as 1) they are usually illegible; 2) can’t be seen on the real thing unless you get up really close to the airframe; 3) make the model look spotty which I don’t like; and 4) I’m lazy.

AW

Are those points in (reverse) order of importance?  :rofl: 

Seriously (maybe...) , following your line of thoughts:

1) true, many of them are, by the bare eye. However, using magnifier to pose them shows some perfectly legible stuff. Nerdy, right? :shrug: :D 

2) that is actually true to scale in this case: you can't really see many of them unless getting very up close, just like on the real thing...

3) in this case, since this model is a rhapsody of greys, I think they add some nice variations

4) me too, but I'm trying to quit that ...  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 3