Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Cans are looking better and with the outer petals getting some work, will look great.

Lightning.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :thumbsup:  For some reason, I kinda knew you'd have voted for the Lightning .... :D

Ciao

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lightning.

Nice exhausts G

Lightning

Keith

PS Lightning

..... aaand I was really waiting for your comment, Keith :D :D  And I kinda already knew your vote too, BTW :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

Lightning :whistle:

Just cos you’ve obvs. mastered the whole metal painting thing G. :D

Altho’ slightly embarrassed to admit that I like grey Lightning’s the best ( cos they’re the ones we used to play with over the North Sea).

One of these days years I’d like to do a personal ‘what if’ of a T5 from the Lighting Training Flight c.1984; so a Giorgio reference build would be quite handy :thumbsup: (me, me, me - I know ;))

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Did he say Lightning?😁

Did he? Haven't noticed .... :D 

11 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Just cos you’ve obvs. mastered the whole metal painting thing G. :D

Yeah, sure .... :frantic: :D 

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Altho’ slightly embarrassed to admit that I like grey Lightning’s the best ( cos they’re the ones we used to play with over the North Sea).

I'm afraid the boxing only contains options for T4/T5 in shiny livery :shrug:  :) 

Ciao

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Anyways, I’m sure you’ll have had enough of grey aircraft for a bit after this build....... :)

:hmmm: Not really. Consider that my next one was going to be an F-4J, before the people uprising for the Lightning .... :D Well, OK, that's not exactly grey boredom, because the intended scheme is Showtime 100, still ...

Ciao

• Like 3

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Did he? Haven't noticed .... :D 

Really?

Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning, Lightning.....  :)

(thank heavens for cut and paste!)

Keith

PS, did you notice this time G? 

Lightning!

• Haha 7

On 28/11/2019 at 12:08, keefr22 said:

PS, did you notice this time G?

I did, you rebel! :rofl: 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Come on G, give us a good 'un

No pressure then, right? :frantic::rofl: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 4

On 29/11/2019 at 17:40, Biggles87 said:

The two seaters from the aerobatic teams were extremely shiny and kept very clean, so no problems with weathering. Just saying.  

:coat:

🙉 🙉 🙉  :rofl: 

21 hours ago, Andwil said:

Two seat Lightnings are really ugly.  That Sagittario  on the other hand is a thing of real beauty.

Ducks down behind parapet.

AW

Andwil, you are a star! :rofl: 

8 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It better be a thick one, made of very strong stones.... :fight:

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Killing time while masking those exhausts, spraying a gloss black base and going over with Titan Metallizer ....

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody; quoting myself

On 30/11/2019 at 22:34, giemme said:

Killing time while masking those exhausts, spraying a gloss black base and going over with Titan Metallizer ....

and here are some pics about it. Masking first

painting47

I then airbrushed Tamiya Gloss Black, followed by Model Master Metallizer Titanium. After unmasking

painting49

The left one is good, the right one ... ah yes, I forgot I had to go over it with another layer of Model Master Metallizer Exhaust before masking, because some bare plastic showed through; as a consequence, that probably became too dark - hence no contrast with titanium. So I tried a few things to remedy, and in the end I was successful (sort of...) by brushing on the petals AK Interactive Extreme Metal Steel

painting50

This paint is not supposed to be brush painted, so to get a decent effect I had to go with a very loaded brush and let the paint self level.

For the inner side, since it normally looks filthy and messy in pictures, I didn't bother to mask and just brush painted the back of the outer petals with Lifecolor Flat Natural metal

painting51

The job was then completed by airbrushing some thinned Tamiya smoke on the inside

painting52

A bit more of touch up required, but all in all they should look the part.

Some other painting job occurred, to wit painting the ordnance:

painting48

Missiles were airbrushed with a mix of Tamiya Flat White and Sky Grey. Then some detail painting followed

painting53

That's all as regards painting, but some constructions also went on: I thought it was about time to start dealing with the vacformed canopy, so I set out to cut the excess plastic

canopy1

I marked the edges with Tamiya tape for curves, and cut using nail scissors 

canopy2

The canopy is obviously very clear, but I anyway brushed on some Alclad Aqua Gloss as a protective coat, in sight of the details I need to add in terms of framing, rear view mirrors and opening handles. And of course the resin piece that constitutes the back part of the canopy itself. Speaking of which, Pavla would have you to use this resin bracket to hold the canopy in the open position

canopy3

looks way too fragile to me, so I replaced the resin shaft with a suitable brass one (0.6mm diameter)

canopy5

So the only resin left here is the hinge. Which needed a location point on the canopy base, that I added from styrene sheet (0.5mm thick)

canopy4

I'll have to cut a slot in it for the opening arm to fit in, but I'll do that once I have unmasked the cockpit and tested the fit.

I guess this is all for the night, next time I should probably get started with decals .... :pilot: 

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 16

Nice cans and work on the canopy, G.  

9 hours ago, giemme said:

brushed on some Alclad Aqua Gloss as a protective coat

Looks good.  Seems quite brave brushing stuff on the canopy.  It must be very self levelling :)  Noted.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

painting50

Looking at these I may well put the Alclad metals on the back shelf for a while  and try some of those manufacturers you've named here Giorgio. Those lustres are quite simply outstanding!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Those cans look great G.

Ah, the decals, such fun!!!

All coming along very nicely sir.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup: Decal job has to be done sooner or later, right? :frantic:  :D 

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Nice cans and work on the canopy, G.  

Looks good.  Seems quite brave brushing stuff on the canopy.  It must be very self levelling :)  Noted.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:  Aqua Gloss is indeed good stuff, I tells ya! I used a flat soft-ish brush for the canopy, anyway :wink: 

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Looking at these I may well put the Alclad metals on the back shelf for a while  and try some of those manufacturers you've named here Giorgio. Those lustres are quite simply outstanding!

Tony, the only Alclad product I've ever used is Aqua Gloss, so I can't comment on their metallics. I like Model Master buffing paints because you can airbrush them straight from the bottle (or add cellulose thinner if you fancy it), but also use the stiff brush technique and still get very realistic results. AK Extreme Metal is something I tried when I couldn't get hold of Model Master's; mixed experience there, as the Steel is working very well for me, not so the Polished Chrome; apart from the touch ups I mentioned, I've yet to try them with the brush technique. HTH

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Given what the kit gave you to work with G, those exhausts are brilliant, very neat work! Some very neat work on the things that go bang and the canopy too - all coming together reallt well!

K

Cheers Keith, thanks :thumbsup: The kit exhaust cans are quite disappointing even for this scale, so I'm trying to "distract" the attention from the missing details by means of fancy painting :wink:  :D  They sorta look similar to the real deal, but don't look too close!

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Giorgio,  that looks very nice as all others said. I like the Testors metalizers, but you have seal them after polishing. They were the only available here in the mid 90' and very easy to spray. I like the missiles very much as they look very sharp. I hate painting them, when the fins are molded on, especially in 1:72.

Cheers Benedikt

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio,  that looks very nice as all others said. I like the Testors metalizers, but you have seal them after polishing. They were the only available here in the mid 90' and very easy to spray. I like the missiles very much as they look very sharp. I hate painting them, when the fins are molded on, especially in 1:72.

Cheers Benedikt

Cheers Benedikt, thanks :thumbsup:  Yes, I always seal the metallics with a gloss coat (Aqua Gloss or Future)

I forgot to mention that I brush painted the missile fins; masking those little b.ggers in this scale is just plain crazy, IMHO. The tip of the AIM120s instead was masked and airbrushed with Mission Models White

Ciao

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 22:38, giemme said:

…but all in all they should look the part.

Oh they do Giorgio, they do :) 

Looking forward to the canopy too - great work so far.

• Thanks 1