Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

25 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks good G.

Have a peaceful time at the show sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: But it's not gonna be peaceful, it will be hell .... hopefully :wink:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

Ah, shows, I hated them too - your poor feet!

I think I spotted you there… and there… in the video but, just to make sure, more photos please!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

I think I spotted you there… and there… in the video but, just to make sure, more photos please

I'm the very thoughtful guy you see here, in the blue jacket and holding my chin :D

me

:D :D 

Ciao

• Like 5

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: But it's not gonna be peaceful, it will be hell .... hopefully :wink:  :D 

Ciao

You can always chill out with a glass or three of vino?

Looking very smart in the pic sir, sharp as ever.

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

You can always chill out with a glass or three of vino?

Sure, we have a good provision of Prosecco and beer... 😉 But I have to attend to customers and drive in and out, so .... 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, basket said:

Wish you a LOT of new customers ! :winkgrin:

🤞

Ciao

• Like 1

7 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm the very thoughtful guy you see here, in the blue jacket and holding my chin :D

Looking cool Giorgio :coolio:

Here’s to a good show :cheers:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm the very thoughtful guy you see here, in the blue jacket and holding my chin

So, just your typical smooth, suave, sophisticated Italian gentleman. What the heck are you doing hanging about with the rabble in this place making plastic aeroplanes??!! :whistle: :rofl:

Hope the show is going well G! :)

Keith

• Haha 3

On 17/10/2019 at 20:48, Spookytooth said:

Bugger, well do your best to chill.

Simon

I think I did, Simon - a pint of beer at noon and a small glass of prosecco in the afternoon kept me going :winkgrin: :D

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking cool Giorgio :coolio:

Here’s to a good show :cheers:

Thanks Ced :D The show started off very well!

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

So, just your typical smooth, suave, sophisticated Italian gentleman. What the heck are you doing hanging about with the rabble in this place making plastic aeroplanes??!! :whistle: :rofl:

Hope the show is going well G! :)

Keith

Keith, I don't think I'm any of the things you mentioned :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, giemme said:

The others in the photo appear to be applauding you Giorgio.

Quite right too. :thumbsup2: 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/10/2019 at 21:54, TheBaron said:

The others in the photo appear to be applauding you Giorgio.

Not really, they were impatiently waiting for lunch :D :D

On 18/10/2019 at 21:59, Biggles87 said:

The guy on your left looks like Francesco, an Italian friend of ours who lives in France, perhaps he was moonlighting.

John

:D He is actually a cook working for a big restaurant in Valtellina (up on. The mountains in Northern Italy) 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio .

Normally I am not attracted by the 1:72 scale, I read this post all at once because I really like the Eurofighter.

Apart the upgrade work, I was shocked by the amount of work you had to do to make this model decent. I never imagined that a Revell model was so inaccurate, by comparison some short runs look like Tamiya.

Congratulations for the work done so far, I await the end with interest

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2019 at 22:18, spartacus2000 said:

Hi Giorgio .

Normally I am not attracted by the 1:72 scale, I read this post all at once because I really like the Eurofighter.

Apart the upgrade work, I was shocked by the amount of work you had to do to make this model decent. I never imagined that a Revell model was so inaccurate, by comparison some short runs look like Tamiya.

Congratulations for the work done so far, I await the end with interest

Ciao Marco, benvenuto! :thumbsup:  Thanks for the praise, much appreciated :thumbsup:

As far as the kit goes, it's my first Revell in a very  long time, and probably my second overall. I think this particular kit suffers of a bad engineering but also shows that the moulds have probably worn out a lot. I have a Revell Tornado in my stash (which I also intend to do as an AMI airframe), I just hope it won't be that troublesome :) 

On 26/10/2019 at 03:17, Cookenbacher said:

A lovely shade of grey indeed, it's looking great Giorgio.

Thanks Cookie, glad you like her :thumbsup: More shades of grey went on, see below.

After a five days long exhibition and a hectic second part of the week, I finally managed to get to the bench today; I first did some masking for the U/C bays

painting11

painting12

These were airbrushed with the same off-white I used for the intakes (Tamiya Flat White with the addition of a few drops of Tamiya Sky Grey). Same of course for the U/C bay doors interiors and for the intake lips

painting13

Then a second round of masking for the canard leading edges, the intake lips front edges ...

painting14

... the fin frontal edge and the intake edges

painting15

painting16

I also masked the radome and the wing pod tips; those are of a different color with respect to the other bits I masked. I then airbrushed a lighter version of the base coat (obtained by adding a few drops of Tamiya Flat White to the initial mix) on the first group of masked objects, while the radome and pod tips were airbrushed with Mission Models Light Gull Grey, thinned with water.

After unmasking

painting17

One of the intake lips needed touching up for the off white area, but apart from that the lighter grey looks about right to me. In fact, you can see it's different from the base coat only looking at it at certain angles, just like the real thing - happy with it :)

And here's the aiframe

painting18

painting19

painting20

painting21

So, how many shades of grey have we encountered so far? Primer, German Grey for pre-shading, base coat, lighter base coat for some edges, Light Gull Grey for the radome and pod tips ... and the off-white for the U/C and intake interiors. Oh, let's not forget the cockpit, a mix of Dark Gull Grey and Light Gull Grey :wink: . Seven shades, if I'm not mistaken. I think we're done with grey, minus the panel washes. Next I'm going to paint the metallic areas - more masking :frantic: :frantic:  Prior to that, I'll spray another protective gloss coat, also to blend in the newly sprayed areas.

That's it for tonight, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

On 10/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, giemme said:

me

:D :D 

Ciao

Looking every bit the suave Italian Giorgio, I see you have gone with the pensive/mysterious expression, fine choice especially at these show/conference type things.... makes you look like you know what’s going on.

loving all the greys you are applying, looking great.

Rob

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2019 at 22:34, Spookytooth said:

Many shades of grey as you want G,

Looking very sweet indeed.

More masking again, yep I know that feeling , so do the rest of us/them.

Good to see you back at the bench .

Simon.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated mate! :thumbsup:

On 26/10/2019 at 22:42, rob85 said:

Looking every bit the suave Italian Giorgio, I see you have gone with the pensive/mysterious expression, fine choice especially at these show/conference type things.... makes you look like you know what’s going on.

loving all the greys you are applying, looking great.

Rob

:rofl: In that case, I kinda knew what was going on - only that once, at least :rofl: Thanks for the praise, Rob :thumbsup: 

On 26/10/2019 at 23:15, keefr22 said:

That Tiffie is really looking the part now G, cracking work!

Keith

On 27/10/2019 at 01:18, CedB said:

Seconded! :) 

On 27/10/2019 at 07:59, Biggles87 said:

Thirded!:clap:

's good to have the approval of the BM posse .... :D :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking fantastic Giorgio, although you must rattle through those 'post-it' notes you're using for masking.

Stuart

:D Thanks Stuart :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Lovely job with the greys! Looking very smart indeed. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, glad you like the grey-ness :wink: :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 5