Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

On 12/10/2019 at 23:01, Spookytooth said:

With several shades of grey left, the pre-shading should be very faint indeed.

Good luck with the painting tomorrow.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  The pre-shading was the second grey shade already, the first being the primer :D See below for the actual painting

On 12/10/2019 at 23:03, rob85 said:

You promised grey and you are delivering! Looking very typhoon-ish, impeccable work as always

Rob

Thanks Rob :thumbsup: More grey was had, see below :wink: 

On 12/10/2019 at 23:28, Courageous said:

Good work Giorgio. Always nice to be reaching the paint stage.

Stuart

Agreed, thanks Stuart :winkgrin:  :) 

On 12/10/2019 at 23:32, TheBaron said:

Someone's been busy! 

Shady sweetness G. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: More done today, see below :) 

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good save on the radome G, and nice looking primer coat!

K

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry to hear about the drop Giorgio but you seem to have sorted it with the grace I have come to expect from your builds.

She looks great in primer and pure shade. 🙌🙌

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Time for some real paint, as I said: so I mixed Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey with Tamiya Flat White (for scale effect), heavily thinned with cellulose thinner, and there she is

painting1

Pre-shading barely showing through, which is what I wanted

painting2

painting3

the underside

painting4

I also sprayed this lot

painting5

A detail of the drop tanks, that were also pre-shaded

painting6

Upon close inspection, I noticed a couple of gaps I didn't spot after the primer coat, like these

painting7

Promptly repaired with some brushed on PPP, then the excess was removed with a wet microfiber towel

painting8

and resprayed

painting9

PPP is just excellent for this kind of stuff.

Despite of what may seem from the pics, I was a bit worried that the grey coat would be a tad on the dark side, especially after a gloss coat; so I tested an Aqua Gloss coat on the rudder and compared to the aircraft

painting10

Not much of a difference, if any. Happy with that :) I'll leave it cure completely and spray a first protective gloss coat in the next few days.

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, bbudde said:

Nice!!!! Very, very nice, Giorgio. Great work and  a well done repair on the nose.

Cheers

Thanks Benedikt, glad you like it :thumbsup:  The nose came out pretty good, I think I prefer the CA repair over the initial solution :) 

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The pre shade works well Giorgio and I couldn’t even see those gaps. PPP is amazing isn’t it. Great work kid. 🙌
Johnny. 😇

Said by a Master Pre-shader (I've just made up that word, haven't I? :D ) like you, it's a huge compliment :thumbsup: And yes, PPP is the best thing for this kind of jobs :thumbsup2: 

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Smart and subtle in equal amounts!

Thanks Tony, that's what I wanted and, apparently, what I've achieved so far. Fingers crossed for the continuation.... :D :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Wot he said.

Perfectly neither over-nor-under done.....(hmm; may I present mangled English for an Italian to decipher :D)

:rofl: That was an easy one to decipher - thanks Steve :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

As they say down south, proper job Giorgio

Excellent demo of how well PPP operates under fire too, must remember to send @Lord Riot along to observe if the chance arises

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! :thumbsup: Send along who you want, the more the merrier, and I'm just glad if I can be of any help :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking rather spiffing Giorgio, very nice!

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Aqua Gloss coat

Question if Imay G, I've heard several times this stuff must never be shaken or it's the end of the world as we know it - so can you actually stir it before spraying? I've got an as yet unused bottle and dunno what to do with it!!

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looking rather spiffing Giorgio, very nice!

Question if Imay G, I've heard several times this stuff must never be shaken or it's the end of the world as we know it - so can you actually stir it before spraying? I've got an as yet unused bottle and dunno what to do with it!!

Keith

I don't either shake or stir it before spraying it, Keith. Just pour into the airbrush cup and spray away, and if there's any leftover I pour it back into its bottle. I tend to spray it at 1 bar or slightly less, and it sprays smoothly and without build ups, unless you really really insist on a single spot - very forgiving. 

I also apply it by brush for small details or for transparencies touch ups - it self levels just as effectively as when airbrushed. And of course, I also use it as dipping bath for canopies; it fills in small scratches in a very effective way.

HTH

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking nice G. very smooth finish there.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks muchly for the info on the Aquagloss Giorgio, I shall give it a go soon! :)

Keith

Don't forget it's been recommended by @CedB, can't go wrong with that :)

Ciao

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking awesome in it's paintwork Giorgio! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Quick update, everybody: I sprayed a light Aqua Gloss coat on the model as a protection for the next painting steps

painting11

painting12

I will be attending (actually exhibiting) to a very important show (business, not modelling related) over the next five days, so no updates till later next week.

But I'll keep an eye on you guys :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Those appearances just get better each update.

Likewise, hope the show goes well Girorgio and that it's in the vicinity of at least one good restaurant...

If it’s in Italy it’s bound to be.

AW

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking good Giorgio :) 

Have a good show… or at least after show 'networking'!

Thanks Ced, on both accounts :D :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those appearances just get better each update.

Likewise, hope the show goes well Girorgio and that it's in the vicinity of at least one good restaurant...

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

If it’s in Italy it’s bound to be.

AW

Tony, Andwil, my company produces professional kitchen equipment - we don't need a restaurant near the show, we actually have two inside our booth ... see this video from 2017 edition of the same show :) (you can even spot me in a few frames :D )

Ciao

• Like 4