Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

On 29/09/2019 at 23:33, dimaADA said:

giemme

Greetings

Please tell one thing. At the initial stage of building the model, you decided to do it from Revel. But there is Hasegawa. It looks better. Why didn’t you choose Hasegawa? I ask because I am also building Eurofighter, but from Hasegawa.

Hello dimaADA, and welcome on board :) 

Good question, I keep asking that to myself too :wall: 

:D No, I'm just kidding: when I bought this kit, a few years ago, I wasn't really after the best kit for a Typhoon, I just saw it and it looked good value for the money, also reading some online reviews. I knew nothing about the HASEGAWA kit back then. If I ever build another Typhoon, I promise it'll be from the HASEGAWA kit :winkgrin:

Last update for the weekend, everybody: once glued in place, the radome showed a ridge on the bottom side

radome7

not easy to photograph, so you'll have to trust me, but it was there. A quick sanding brought it back flush with the fuselage (see below)

As I mentioned earlier, there still were a few details to be added before priming; on the back part of the fuselage (top side), near the base of the tail fin, there are two small vents. Here's Revell's rendition (supplied as an extra bit of plastic to glue in)

tailvents1

Not much of a vent, is it? So I stuck it to a wood block with double sided ape and made a copy by pressing over it some wine cap foil

tailvents2

I filled in the back side of it with a thin layer of CA, to render it rigid; then i cut it out using a sharo razor blade, and here's a dryfit

tailvents3

Looking better, so I made another one and stuck them in place with CA

tailvents4

tailvents5

Two more vents on the bottom side: they needed reworking because their walls are quite thick, but the protruding lips were very fragile, so I decided to glue them in and refine them later

bottomvents1

While they were curing, I put together the drop tanks

droptanks1

That gap you see under the pylons is only on one side, and it needs to be filled in, because it's not there on the real thing. Also, one of the tank had this dent on the tip from the beginning

droptanks2

More work for CA + flour, I guess :)

There are two blade antennae to be added on the bottom side; one was actually molded with the fuselage, but I managed to knock it off earlier in the build, so I wanted to recover it from the spare fuselage

bladeantennae1

It didn't look all that good, though, so I scratch built it from 0.5mm styrene sheet and glued in place with TET. Again, I'll refine it once it has cured

bladeantennae3

You can also see that now the bottom of the radome is flush with the fuselage

Last thing was the big blade antenna, again glued in place with TET

bladeantennae2

That's it for the day, I hope you all had a great Sunday. All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 15

I wonder if the Revell mould has deteriorated with age. I bought mine when it first came out, and notwithstanding the extra detail you're adding, I don't recall all these fit problems, flash, mould flaws, and sinks. The only nasty area for me was the wing root/fuselage join on the bottom, and even that wasn't too bad.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I wonder if the Revell mould has deteriorated with age

It might be that; or, I might have bought a flawed box. @The Spadgent build of this kit didn't look so dramatic either, and I think his box was contemporary to mine.

Ciao

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio - those scratch additions looks really good, especially the vents :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  They probably need some touching up, but it's hard to tell without some primer going on

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm enjoying watching this come together so nicely, it's really looking the part now. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, glad you're having fun :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Stunning work Giorgio. 
your ip looks amazing. I replaced mine too if I remember correctly but yours looks so much better. That green edging is great. My kit was a bit of a fit nightmare and the canopy was shocking. I think I spoiled mine by being a clutz? I can’t remember now. I’m still happy with the little kit though. 😇 looking forward to your paint going on.

johnny

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2019 at 21:34, Spookytooth said:

You are bashing that kit into shape so nicely sir.

Attention to detail yet again.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Stunning work Giorgio. 
your ip looks amazing. I replaced mine too if I remember correctly but yours looks so much better. That green edging is great. My kit was a bit of a fit nightmare and the canopy was shocking. I think I spoiled mine by being a clutz? I can’t remember now. I’m still happy with the little kit though. 😇 looking forward to your paint going on.

johnny

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:  The kit canopy and windshield are just awful; I decided to keep the latter because the vacformed replacement didn't convince me, but for the canopy itself I'm gonna use Pavla's part - wish me luck! :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

All these little refinements are making a huge overall difference. It's the little things that make a model stand out! I'm looking forward to seeing it get some paint. I was going to say "colour" but then I remembered it's going to be grey....

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I was going to say "colour" but then I remembered it's going to be grey....

Yes, but various shades! :rofl: :rofl: 

Thanks for the appreciation, Ian :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, here's WE progress report for your consideration :)

Last touch ups before priming: blade antennae refined

bladeantennae4

same for the bottom vents/intakes

bottomvents12

plastic shims inserted to fill the gap on the drop tanks

droptanks3

Here's the underwing load for this Typhoon:

payload1

It's one of the possible Interceptor configuration I saw on pics: two 1000lt tanks, two AIM-120B AMRAAM to be loaded on the front bays, one Sidewinder and one IRIS-T

As I said, I based this payload on pictures I saw on the 'net; my only doubt is about the IRIS-T, since it was first delivered in 2005 to the German Air Force. I have no info about when it was delivered to the AMI, and the airframe I'm representing is as of 2006 - so likely to already have carried that missile, but I'm not 100% sure. If anybody knows any better, please let me know, still plenty of time to fix this.

It was then time for masking: cockpit

masking1

exhausts

masking2

and air intakes

masking3

Once that was done, I rubbed some IPA all over the model surface, followed by a polish with the specific Dremel tool I normally use for canopies.

Here she is, ready for primer:

priming1

Next time, though; meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 17

Hi Giorgio!! Hope you are well. Fantastic news that you up to the painting stages and looking very good at this point too! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Paint!!!!!! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Yeah, I heard you! :rofl:  :rofl: Just a bit of patience, primer is definitely going on during this week :winkgrin: 

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio!! Hope you are well. Fantastic news that you up to the painting stages and looking very good at this point too! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:  Yes, it's about time to lay down those different grey shades ... :D 

Ciao

• Like 2

Looking very smart, especially all those ‘greeblies’ on the underside* :) 

* notice I avoided ’bottom’ - I am getting better!

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2019 at 15:30, Spookytooth said:

X 2 there G.

Looking very shiny, a good smooth finish has started.

Simon.

Hopefully so, Simon -thanks! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Just catching up with this one again Giorgio. Looking to be another masterpiece with all the added detail.

Great to hear from you, Cookie! :thumbsup:  glad you like it!

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking very smart, especially all those ‘greeblies’ on the underside* :) 

* notice I avoided ’bottom’ - I am getting better!

Good boy! :D  Thanks Ced :thumbsup:

I did airbrush some primer on last night - and I also dropped the model while doing it :wall: It landed nose down on my airbrush booth table, with the result of loosing the needle I had put into the nose to properly reshape the radome.

I'll post some pic tomorrow, or tonight maybe, with the repairs and other touch-ups needed.

Ciao

• Sad 2

On 09/10/2019 at 16:49, limeypilot said:

Well if Ced won't, someone else will have to.....

That looks like a lovely smooth bottom, even with all the bits sticking out!

Ian

:rofl: Thanks Ian, glad you like my effort :thumbsup: 

I promised an update during the week, but work's got hectic and I passed out on my sofa basically every evening - I guess I'm getting old :D 

I primed the model and the underwing bits with my usual Vallejo Grey Primer + Future/Kleer mix; here's the underside

priming5

Not too bad, but in need of a second coat. Top side

priming3

As I mentioned, I dropped the model while priming (it actually slipped of the red pipe you see sticking out of the back - behave guys! :D - despite having used blue tac to keep it in place). What happened is that the sewing needle I stuck in the tip of the radome hit the ground first and, notwithstanding I had glued it with lots of CA, fell back into the radome itself. No other damages to the model, but as I mentioned there were a couple of issues with the other bits, to with one of the drop tanks

priming2

Not very visible, but I plenty forgot to sand down the CA I added to fill that gap, so stupid me :banghead:

And the other thing was on one of the flaperons, in the modified hinge area

priming6

Those two were pretty easy fixes, no interesting pics to show about that. The radome fix was slightly more challenging, but adding CA + flour little by little and letting cure for a couple of hours allowed me to reinstate a reasonable representation of the radome tip, just by filing, sanding and polishing to shape

priming7

I then resprayed the primer mix, and it's now curing. Later for some pre-shading :) 

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

You were lucky there G.

Minor damage repaired quickly and smartly.

Go for it mate.

Simon.

I was indeed, thanks Simon! :thumbsup:  Pre-shading done, see below  :) 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Good to hear there was no serious damage. The repair looks very sharp!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: It is sharp, almost as much as the sewing needle it replaced - I was pretty surprised myself I could attain such a result with CA+flour

I did pre-shade, as I said: top

preshading1

and bottom

preshading2

Deliberately non precise, as usual. I used Tamiya German Grey thinned with IPA for the job, on the grounds that I'm not aiming at an heavy contrast, being this an almost pristine airframe at the moment in time I'm representing it.

Drop tanks and rudder received some pre-shading too

preshading3

Tomorrow I might spray some real paint on it :yahoo: 

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13