Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

On 20/08/2019 at 10:23, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio - all looking really good from here :) 

On 20/08/2019 at 14:24, Biggles87 said:

From here too.😆

On 20/08/2019 at 14:29, The Spadgent said:

Those wheel wells look Bob on. Nice work. 👷‍♂️

Johnny

Thank you Ced, John and John :D :thumbsup:  Last update for the week, then I'll be off to Paris for a week :wink: 

As I mentioned earlier, Bill's advice arrived a tad too late, but the PPP around the air refueling door seems to have worked pretty well

fuselage89

What's missing in the to-do list prior to gluing the bottom wing to the fuselage? Right, painting the intakes. I primed them with Tamiya Neutral Grey (airbrushed, thinned with cellulose)

intakes30

intakes31

then I airbrushed Lifecolor Light Grey

intakes32

intakes33

It looked a tad too dark to me, so I went over it with a mix of Tamiya Flat White and Sky Grey, sort of an off-white

intakes34

intakes35

Happier, but some PPP filling needed in various spots. After that and a few touch ups by brush, I painted the port intake sensor by brush with Italeri Flat Black, and drybrushed with Lifecolor Light Gull Grey

intakes37

intakes38

The trunking isn't perfect, but good enough for what you can see from outside, once mated to the fuselage - far better than the original kit offering, IMHO. The intakes received a gloss protective coat, followed by a satin one (mix of Italeri Flat Clear and Gloss Clear, by brush). Anyway, there's going to be more touch ups around the intakes, after having blended in the added styrene bits to the outer sides of the upper intake.

And eventually:

wings1

This will need more rounds, as the fit is less than ideal.

All comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 12

Hi Giorgio.  Hope you are well. I am always so impressed when I drop into your thread. Your attention to the small details takes your projects to the next level. The wheel well detailing, for example, is superb. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2019 at 18:07, limeypilot said:

It looks as though you have that one thoroughly in submission!

The intakes look great too!

Ian

Thanks Ian, submission is the right word! :frantic:There's gonna be more, and in fact I managed to glue the scratch built intake outer lips and some other areas of the wing to the fuselage before leaving for Paris. They sure have time to cure!

On 21/08/2019 at 18:20, CedB said:

Nice intakes Giorgio - enjoy Paris! :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: I am, I really am :D

On 22/08/2019 at 08:09, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio.  Hope you are well. I am always so impressed when I drop into your thread. Your attention to the small details takes your projects to the next level. The wheel well detailing, for example, is superb. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, glad you like it. I know you had to slow down because of the heat - I hope you can get back to normal operations soon 👍

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant colours Giorgio. Wonderful stuff. 😇

Johnny

Cheers Johnny boy, thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

Hey guys, I'm back :D  

Actually, I was back from Paris on last Wednesday, so this progress report shows what I did since :wink: 

But first

On 26/08/2019 at 04:51, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio—brilliant work—looking forward  to the rest of the build—we are all lucky you make the time to share your awesome techniques!  Best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin, very kind of you :thumbsup: I learned what I know about modelling lurking WIPs on here, mostly - and I still post WIP threads mainly to learn form others. If I can be of any help too, I'm more than glad; I think that sharing makes all of us better modellers.

Progress, I mentioned: after the wings-to-fuselage session, I was left with some issues to fix. First, the inner intake sidewalls to merge in, plus some additional gaps right under them

intakes39

then this gap

fuselage90

both sides

fuselage91

Those weren't really bothering me too much, filling with CA+flour will fix them. What I was actually concerned with were these

wings2

wings3

These joints at the bottom wing roots showed not only a gap, but also a step, actually a multiple step - in an area with curved shapes and panel lines. I'm still not sure what will be the best way to deal with them :hmmm:  Thoughts, please?

More filling at the back, which will imply a lot of rescribing

wings4

wings5

and also some reshaping.

Here's the actual progress: intakes merged in

intakes40

intakes41

Now I only need to repaint them (the blue tack blob will remain in place to protect the intake sensor from any overspray)

The side gaps were filled in with CA+flour and sanded flush. Some rescribing already done, more still to be done

fuselage92

fuselage93

This side looks like is in need of more filling.

That's it for this update, any comments highly appreciated :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

Nice work on the front bits Giorgio.

Those horrible things at the back – I would be using filler and riffler files I think. 

Good luck! 😀

• Thanks 1

Blimey Giorgio this really is a horrible kit altogether

Couldn't you get one from Itagawairfijimi?

There is only one way to deal with those steps and it requires your good eye for a line (we know you have that talent) the best firm filler in your armoury (cyanoflour is a good one) and lots of pictures to let you decide the true line you must file and polish them to

Same at the back too, I fear

Blimey!

Luckily the work inside the intakes has been excellent and very worthwhile, I'm looking forward to some real grey soon

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the front bits Giorgio.

Those horrible things at the back – I would be using filler and riffler files I think. 

Good luck! 😀

Riffler files! Here's a tool I don't own: thanks Ced :D :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looking great Giorgio, I'd never heard of using flour and CA before.

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:  I used to use CA+talc or CA+bicarbonate, but since @Massimo talked me into using flour, I only do that. It gives more consistent results and polishes much better. And it also makes for a good structural filling.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Blimey Giorgio this really is a horrible kit altogether

Couldn't you get one from Itagawairfijimi?

There is only one way to deal with those steps and it requires your good eye for a line (we know you have that talent) the best firm filler in your armoury (cyanoflour is a good one) and lots of pictures to let you decide the true line you must file and polish them to

Same at the back too, I fear

Blimey!

Luckily the work inside the intakes has been excellent and very worthwhile, I'm looking forward to some real grey soon

Thank you. Bill :thumbsup: I'm not too concerned about the back part of the fuselage; and as you say, for the wing root the critical part is to decide the line, and fill and sand consequently. :hmmm: 

And yes, next time I'll get an HASEGAWA Typhoon :D :D 

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio, Maybe a small thin plactic card or strip at the back . Then filler  and sand it smooth and rescribe the panel line.

Cheers

Thanks Benedikt; there will be some plastic card shims involved, at least to act as a base for the filler. The problem is to combine three different levels of a non planar area, to wit "decide the line" as mentioned above ... :frantic: 

Thanks for your help, guys :) 

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, giemme said:

Riffler files! Here's a tool I don't own: thanks Ced

Recommended to me by Fritag I bought my 'Rolson 24639 Riffler File Set, 140 mm - 10 Pieces' from Amazon for just over £6.

Like Bill's SIHRSC file they remove plastic quickly and any resultant scratching can be polished out much quicker than sanding and sanding and sanding…

HTH :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some gaps there G.

You will soon have them sorted, although some will be a pain.

The idea that Benedikt came out with about the shims is a good place to start, (saves filler disappearing etc)

Hope that you are OK after your jaunts to Spain and France.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Giorgio, thanks for the shout out--I, too, have not heard of the CA & flour trick--apologize if I missed it, but can you share any advice on this technique--ratio, tool to apply, do you use a CA "kicker" to speed up the cure... your build is getting me interested in Eurofighter of my own 😎, best Erwin

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm still not sure what will be the best way to deal with them :hmmm:  Thoughts, please?

Some of our proper modellers have already given you their thoughts G - Mr. Lazy Modeller here would simply fill the gaps and then stick the finished model to a base so no one can notice the step....!! (I stick all my models to bases, it hides a multitude of sins and saves having to do tedious work like detailing wheelbays!!) :)

Keith

• Haha 3

Hi Giorgio. Glad you are back safely from your hols. Good to see more progress but, I have to say, your kit is very gappy!! I'd personally go with a plastic shim first and then filler for your stepped gaps. Don't envy you having to work on them in the area they are located either. Good luck! If anyone can sort them we know you are the man for the job!...........well you're going to have to be! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Recommended to me by Fritag I bought my 'Rolson 24639 Riffler File Set, 140 mm - 10 Pieces' from Amazon for just over £6.

I couldn't find exactly the same set on Amazon.it, but I ordered something quite similar. Thanks Ced :wink:  :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Some gaps there G.

You will soon have them sorted, although some will be a pain.

The idea that Benedikt came out with about the shims is a good place to start, (saves filler disappearing etc)

Hope that you are OK after your jaunts to Spain and France.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks. Yes, Benedikt idea is a good starting point :thumbsup:  And I'm feeling great after my hols, thank you :) 

1 hour ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio, thanks for the shout out--I, too, have not heard of the CA & flour trick--apologize if I missed it, but can you share any advice on this technique--ratio, tool to apply, do you use a CA "kicker" to speed up the cure... your build is getting me interested in Eurofighter of my own 😎, best Erwin

Cheers Erwin :thumbsup:  The CA+flour is a pretty straightforward technique: just apply CA with your favorite tool (I use toothpicks, old sewing needles, steel wires, according to the gap to fill in) and then sprinkle flour over it. It will dry almost immediately, so no need for kicker. You can also pre-mix CA and flour, but in that case you have to go very sparingly with the flour, or you will immediately get a useless rock hard blob: just pour some CA on alu tape and mix in flour with a toothpick, and apply as soon as possible. Experimenting with it will give you the right confidence in no time. You can sand and polish after a few minutes.

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Some of our proper modellers have already given you their thoughts G - Mr. Lazy Modeller here would simply fill the gaps and then stick the finished model to a base so no one can notice the step....!! (I stick all my models to bases, it hides a multitude of sins and saves having to do tedious work like detailing wheelbays!!) :)

Keith

:D OK, you lazy rebel, but I find somewhat hard to believe you need to hide the underside of your models .... :winkgrin:  Anyway, no base for this, so I'll have to sort it ... :rofl: 

21 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Glad you are back safely from your hols. Good to see more progress but, I have to say, your kit is very gappy!! I'd personally go with a plastic shim first and then filler for your stepped gaps. Don't envy you having to work on them in the area they are located either. Good luck! If anyone can sort them we know you are the man for the job!...........well you're going to have to be! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:  Yep, I'll have to be the one sorting them, no easy way out here ...  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

next time I'll get an HASEGAWA Typhoon :D :D 

I have to admit that your brilliant work on this thread has convinced me that the Hasegawa kit may be more my speed.

Thanks for the flour + CA instructions - will definitely give it a go whenever I have a bench again.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, giemme said:

And yes, next time I'll get an HASEGAWA Typhoon :D :D 

After building the 1:72 Revell kit and not being real happy with it, that's exactly what I did. Luckily, I found it cheap at a swap meet.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

great improvement on the intakes Mister G

Hope that you enjoyed Paris, a visit at Le bourget ??

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  I did enjoy my time in Paris, thank you. No time to visit Le Bourget, though ... :shrug:

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I have to admit that your brilliant work on this thread has convinced me that the Hasegawa kit may be more my speed.

Thanks for the flour + CA instructions - will definitely give it a go whenever I have a bench again.

You are welcome, Cookie :thumbsup:  It would be about time you get a new bench, wouldn't it? :wink: 

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

After building the 1:72 Revell kit and not being real happy with it, that's exactly what I did. Luckily, I found it cheap at a swap meet.

Cheers,

Bill

Yes, you were lucky. €30 + shipment is the best I can find right now.

Anyway, after I complete this build (if I ever :frantic: ) I will build the Academy 1/72 F-4J - supposedly a much easier build :)  Oh, and it happens to be a Navy Bird :D 

A quick bit of progress for tonight: I re-fixed port side bottom joint with some CA

fuselage94

and I sorted the back end, filling in with CA+flour and filing/sanding to shape

fuselage95

fuselage96

Now I need to do some rescribing.

I decided that I will tackle the bottom wing root gaps once also the top wings are glued - I suspect there will be more wiggling there :hmmm: 

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 8

8 hours ago, giemme said:

filling in with CA+flour

I’ve often used CA as a filler for small jobs but not added flour.  Whilst you’ve probably explained your technique before Giorgio (maybe even in this thread - I’ve got the memory of a goldfish), you couldn’t recap could you?  What thickness CA do you use?

You’ve probably explained your technique before (maybe even in this thread - I think I may have said that I’ve  got the memory of a goldfish)......:whistle:

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I’ve often used CA as a filler for small jobs but not added flour.  Whilst you’ve probably explained your technique before Giorgio (maybe even in this thread - I’ve got the memory of a goldfish), you couldn’t recap could you?  What thickness CA do you use?

You’ve probably explained your technique before (maybe even in this thread - I think I may have said that I’ve  got the memory of a goldfish)......:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: Having a senior moment, are you?  :devil:  :whistle:  :rofl: Yes, I've explained it to Erwin in post #344, but here it is again just for you:

16 hours ago, giemme said:

The CA+flour is a pretty straightforward technique: just apply CA with your favorite tool (I use toothpicks, old sewing needles, steel wires, according to the gap to fill in) and then sprinkle flour over it. It will dry almost immediately, so no need for kicker. You can also pre-mix CA and flour, but in that case you have to go very sparingly with the flour, or you will immediately get a useless rock hard blob: just pour some CA on alu tape and mix in flour with a toothpick, and apply as soon as possible. Experimenting with it will give you the right confidence in no time. You can sand and polish after a few minutes.

To complete that, I use a quite thin CA, that tends to flow into crevices quite well. This, in fact:

loctite700143-loctite-super-attak-easy-b

HTH

Ciao

• Like 5