Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That joint was a S.. , I had to fill and sand on the Airfix one.

Difficult area to model I suppose.

Looking good mate.

Simon.

I guess this is a week point in any Eurofighter kit, Simon. Not so difficult to deal with, thanks to the milliput: a few swipes with a round file, sandpaper and nail polishing stick. And milliput takes rescribing very well too.

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looking very good Giorgio - good save :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:

Ciao

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

PS re the Stuka, what does Picchiatello mean?

Sorry Keith, didn't see your question at first. It's a sort of joke on the dive bomber role: in Italian it would be "bombardiere in picchiata", but "picchiato" or "picchiatello" also means slightly crazy :D (you could sort of translate it as beaten up, referring to a hit on the head)

Ciao

• Like 3

Why are the intakes so difficult on Typhoon kits? I have the Revell 1/48 version and according to builds I’ve seen it’s a nightmare. I bought a resin seamless intake set for it but I don’t think it’s going to make it much better, I’ll probably just go for FOD covers if I ever build it.

Keep on keeping on.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Sorry Keith, didn't see your question at first. It's a sort of joke on the dive bomber role: in Italian it would be "bombardiere in picchiata", but "picchiato" or "picchiatello" also means slightly crazy :D (you could sort of translate it as beaten up, referring to a hit on the head)

Ciao

Thx for explaining , funny indeed since it's exactely the same joke in french !!!!

In this case , the aircraft is qualified as a  " bombardier en piqué " ( dive bomber ) and the pilot of the aircraft ( le bombardier ) might be called  " bombardier piqué  " which can be translated by  " nuts" !!!

BTW , will this original beast be the ne t on your bench ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Lovely progress although it’s a shame the fit isn’t great in places. The cockpit with the resin and your lovely painting looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Why are the intakes so difficult on Typhoon kits? I have the Revell 1/48 version and according to builds I’ve seen it’s a nightmare. I bought a resin seamless intake set for it but I don’t think it’s going to make it much better, I’ll probably just go for FOD covers if I ever build it.

Keep on keeping on.

John

Is it the Olympus Resin set? I did look for their 1/72 version, but it's out of stock everywhere. Anyway, IIRC, also the Hasegawa kit has the same engineering for the intakes, so I guess there's no better way to reproduce it in injected plastic - then again, I'm under the impression my sample is a Friday afternoon job: I keep going back to @The Spadgent 's build of this same kit, and he had no problems in fitting the splitter plate, as well as the wing to the fuselage (later for that). See below for another small issue, BTW. There must be something self induced, too. And yes, I'll keep on :)  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, basket said:

Thx for explaining , funny indeed since it's exactely the same joke in french !!!!

In this case , the aircraft is qualified as a  " bombardier en piqué " ( dive bomber ) and the pilot of the aircraft ( le bombardier ) might be called  " bombardier piqué  " which can be translated by  " nuts" !!!

BTW , will this original beast be the ne t on your bench ?

:D I don't think it's going to be the next, it's just that I had read a review of this kit a while ago and once I spotted it in my LMS, I couldn't resist ... :wink: 

It's a bit early to think of next build, but I think I've made up my mind already. It's going to be another jet, and a pretty easy guess too .... :coolio:

26 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. Lovely progress although it’s a shame the fit isn’t great in places. The cockpit with the resin and your lovely painting looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I'm good and I hope you are too :)

Glad you like her :thumbsup: 

As I mentioned above, I started dealing with some small issues; yesterday I've been fettling a lot around the fuselage to lower wing assembly, which also involves the exhaust cans and the intakes. Mostly dry fitting (no gluing at all, anyway), but I still needed to take care of something else before jumping into that. So here's one of the small issues:

fuselage82

The rear end of the fuselage halves aren't flush; furthermore, there's some sort of sensor not provided in the kit, in place of that sort of protruding small cylinder on the upper rear end of the spine, see here (source primeportal.net):

ef2000_36_of_92.jpg

So I snipped the kit part off

fuselage83

and sanded everything flush

fuselage84

Here's a dry fit of the tail parachute cover

fuselage85

The whole process took no more than five minutes; easy, right? Well, can't you spot the problem? No? Maybe with some help:

fuselage86

:hmmm:The difference in level between port and starboard fuselage ends is very visible in real life; port looks to be the correct one. So out with a flat file, ETS and polishing stick, and finally

fuselage81

Of course, during the process I put some dents into starboard rear fuselage, which I had to fill in with CA and sand back, etc etc.. all good fun :D 

Next task will be dealing with the intakes - meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Problems with your back end sir? Fnar.

Things don`t look to bad from here G.

Good luck with those intakes mate.

Simon.

You naughty boy! :rofl: Thanks anyway :thumbsup: And I'm gonna need all the luck and patience with them intakes :frantic:

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Some great updates since I last checked Giorgio, progressing really well indeed. The cockpit is looking especially good.

Terry

Thanks Terry, much appreciated! :thumbsup: The resin cockpit has nice and crisp details, I'm pretty happy with it - worthy AM

Ciao

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio. No doubt you’ll be producing your usual level of detail on the bottom! :D 

You naughty boy #2! :rofl: Thanks :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

F-104S.... :nodding:

K

Ah, no. I don't feel like I'm ready for that (long story). :)

It's easier than that, anyway... :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

F-104S.... :nodding:

K

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ah, no. I don't feel like I'm ready for that (long story). :)

It's easier than that, anyway... :coolio:

Ciao

Judging by your Avatar, a Phantom.

AW

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Judging by your Avatar, a Phantom.

AW

Told you it was easy.... :D

33 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

At least you don’t have tailplanes to fit to your uneven rear end!  :frantic:

john

No, thank goodness I don't :rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/08/2019 at 08:47, keefr22 said:

I had guessed, but was hoping it really wasn't that easy.... :tease: :)

K

On 12/08/2019 at 15:10, Spookytooth said:

A Phantom,!!!! Never!!!

Simon.

Simon, Keith, I've started having withdrawal symptoms from not building Phantoms ...  :D 

Anyway, time for some progress report. Where were we? Ah yes, intakes. Two warnings before I start

a) lots of pic to follow

b) I didn't intend to replicate the full intake trunking, just something that would give the illusion of seamless intakes at this scale

So out came the Stabilo eraser gum

intakes5

This can be easily shaped with blades and the usual sanding tools, so after marking the outlines with a fine marker, I carved out and sanded a vacforming template

intakes6

I inserted a rod in it (it's actually a straightened paper clip) to give it some rigidity and keep the curved shape

intakes7

then used some 0.3mm styrene sheet for the vacforming, obtaining these (2 good out of 4 attempts ... )

intakes8

First dryfit

intakes9

to get something like this

intakes10

The trunking was held in place with some blue tack, so I could glue it to the kit intake with TET

intakes11

As you can see, I glued them in proud of the kit part, and reinforced the join with CA, as a filler. I then used a rounded file and sandpaper to get this

intakes12

Another dryfit with the fuselage showed that the trunking side edge would be pretty visible

intakes13

so I decided to add a length of styrene (this time 0.2mm and hand bent against a round brush shaft), kept in place by an external reinforcing "plate" (all glued with TET)

intakes14

intakes15

Of course this edge was also visible

intakes16

I intended to blend it in once fuselage and wings were mated, but then I thought it would have been complicated (not an easy spot to reach, also for airbrushing), so I decided to add another length of styrene, enough to reach out to the intake external side edges

intakes17

I determined the shape of this additional segment by placing some tape inside the intake outer sides and running a pencil on the edges; I then removed the tape, stuck onto the styrene sheet and cut accordingly. After a few more dryfits I got this

intakes18

intakes19

Some filling and sanding was in order, so I applied milliput along the joints

intakes20

intakes21

and again, after some sanding and polishing (and some PPP to complete the job, especially towards the front part of the joints)

intakes22

intakes23

Seamless "intakes" ready :)  Well, not quite: there's some sort of sensor inside port intake, visible here

Eurofighter_EFA-2000_Typhoon_DA1_98+29_I

So I scratch built it

intakes24

intakes25

What I did was to punch out a 2mm plastic disc from very thin styrene (from a yogurt cup, hey it's the first time I bring that out in this build :D ) and glued it in place with TET.

Then the sensor was built from 0.1mm brass sheet, bending a strip around a short segment of thin copper wire and soldering it to fill in the voids. The resulting chunk of metal was reworked with a Dremel sanding disc, and glued in place with CA. You can probably see it better here

intakes26

Here's another shot of this dryfit with regular light

intakes27

Looks good enough for the scale to me. Of course the fore parts need to be glued to the kit sides and then blended into the outer edges, but that is going to be quite easy, once I glue the fuselage to the wings.

Here's a pic using flash

intakes28

Again, it looks good enough for me, but I'd really appreciate your comments on this.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1