Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Happy birthday from an old git

Thats one of the things I like about this place, wall to wall old scrotes & a smattering of middle aged babies. I rate myself as a tweenie. :D

Steve.

• Haha 6

On 29/07/2019 at 22:02, stevehnz said:

Yup. I hope you had a good one & many more to look forward to. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, very kind of you :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello. A belated Happy birthday also from me. Hope yu had a nice day with your beloved Giorgio.

Btw: Smart fixing on the top.

Cheers

Thanks Bendikt, and glad you like the fixing :thumbsup: 

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Belated Happy 49th Birthday!! Hope you had a lovely day. Good work filling the gap - looks spot on from my side of the internet! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Belated Happy Birthday from me too, even though you're still younger than my baby sister!

Ian

Thanks Ian :D:thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hey mate, sorry I missed your birthday.

Hope you had a great day.

Simon and Rose.

Nipper LOL

Thanks grandpa mate :rofl:  :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, phantom61 said:

happy Birthday my friend...

🎂

Grazie Silvano! :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Hell of a lot younger than me

Happy birthday from an old git

:D Thanks Bill :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Sting67 said:

Oops, I just read it.

Also from me, belated Happy Birthday, Giorgio!

Ramon

Thank you Ramon, good the hear from you :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, giemme said:

Looks good enough to me.

More than good enough enough Giorgio. That modification looks fantastic.

Nice tip on the market open trick - I'd noticed that staining on some of your previous work and wondered how you'd been running that check. Mystery solved! :)

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2019 at 06:35, Biggles87 said:

Late again as usual, an even more belated Happy Birthday from me too.

John

Thank you John, I appreciate that :thumbsup:

On 01/08/2019 at 09:13, TheBaron said:

More than good enough enough Giorgio. That modification looks fantastic.

Nice tip on the market open trick - I'd noticed that staining on some of your previous work and wondered how you'd been running that check. Mystery solved! :)

Thanks Tony, glad you like it :thumbsup: The dry wipe marker is something I discovered just recently, but I thought I had already mentioned it - memory failure, again :wall:  :D Glad if it can be of any help :) 

(late) MondayUpdateTM, everybody :yahoo: 

I had a pretty busy WE, spending most of the Sunday at Milan Malpensa airport: my eldest and middle daughter left for a couple of weeks of English school in England, but two different destinations, two different terminals, two different flights ... long story short, I didn't do much.

Here's what I did do, however: using @TheBaron's trick, I resurrected some of the white milliput leftover from the spine/airbrake treatment (meaning that I stored it in the freezer right after using it); it bl...y works, thanks Tony! :thumbsup:  Fresh as just kneaded, I used it to fill in the front gap between the resin part and the fuselage

fuselage60

and a few other spots along the airbrake edges and the spine

fuselage61

fuselage62

fuselage63

More refinement needed, but I'll use PPP for that.

Then it was time for some paint; masking first

fuselage64

then Tamiya Flat Black, airbrushed, thinned with cellulose, and a couple of Aqua Gloss light coats

fuselage65

Then some dry brushing with Dark Grey and Light Gull Grey (Lifecolor, in this case)

fuselage66

and eventually some detail painting by brush, followed by a flat coat, using Italeri Flat Clear (again by brush)

fuselage67

fuselage68

That's it, basically. All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 20

You are slowly beating that airbrake panel into submission, there ia an English expression ‘ it fits where it touches ‘ which seems to apply to that part.

Did you use the cellulose thinner on ordinary Tamiya acrylic or the new lacquer based stuff? I recently found a half full tin of cellulose thinner which came with me from the UK, assuming that it doesn’t ‘ go off ‘ I could use for my Mr Metal Color.

John

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Amazing looking interior Giorgio, lovely work :) 

Thanks Ced, glad you like it 👍🏻

6 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Giemme, you need to try this   

Gotta love those Paul Budzik's videos :thumbsup: Thanks for the pointer, Craig - I might give that stuff a try, but I definitely need those dental tools Paul's using! :D 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You are slowly beating that airbrake panel into submission, there ia an English expression ‘ it fits where it touches ‘ which seems to apply to that part.

Did you use the cellulose thinner on ordinary Tamiya acrylic or the new lacquer based stuff? I recently found a half full tin of cellulose thinner which came with me from the UK, assuming that it doesn’t ‘ go off ‘ I could use for my Mr Metal Color.

John

I knew that expression, and it tallies perfectly with the part :rofl: I used cellulose thinner on ordinary Tamiya acrylics, I found they spray very smoothly that way - they stink by their own already, so the strong cellulose smell isn't a concern (I do wear a mask and use an extractor fan with filter in my spray booth, though :wink: )

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice decking Giorgio.  I initially thought you'd made a mistake going with Flat Black in 1/72 - but I should have known better (mea culpa :blush:) and that's beautiful work on the dry brushing/detail painting :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Nice decking Giorgio.  I initially thought you'd made a mistake going with Flat Black in 1/72 - but I should have known better (mea culpa :blush:) and that's beautiful work on the dry brushing/detail painting :)

:D Thanks Steve. Going full black is just a different approach: I tend to prefer it on parts which are reach of details, because you get the best out of drybrushing there, and save a wash ... :whistle:  and still get a good-to-scale black.

TBH, I should also add that I reinforced the effect of drybrushing by using a very fine tipped brush and painting a few selected edges with light grey :wink:  Stuff that comes from figure painting, you know...

Ciao

• Like 1

Hello Giorgio !!

Sorry I'm late now !! Happy Birthday my friend

Better late than never, so you share the birthday with my father...

But still I think that my Old is a bit older, he turned 81 now....

The typhoon receive some paints !! Goood !! 

Sincerely 

CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Just caught up Giemme, nice work on the rear decking sir.

Worth the battle.

I guess so :) Thanks Simon :thumbsup: 

36 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !!

Sorry I'm late now !! Happy Birthday my friend

Better late than never, so you share the birthday with my father...

But still I think that my Old is a bit older, he turned 81 now....

The typhoon receive some paints !! Goood !! 

Sincerely 

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup: My bests to your father :)

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Giemme, I appreciate the craftsmanship of your work and others who go to such lengths. But after seeing the many rough spots of the kit, I would look into the Hasegawa version if it is any better for myself.

Great eye for detail.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baldwin8 said:

Giemme, I appreciate the craftsmanship of your work and others who go to such lengths. But after seeing the many rough spots of the kit, I would look into the Hasegawa version if it is any better for myself.

Great eye for detail.

Thanks Craig :thumbsup:  You know, I'd recently been discussing with a friend about the Hasegawa Typhoon (pricey and hard to find and all of that), so I did a quick research on the kit and saw that the engineering is basically the same, with the notable exception of the fin being supplied as a separated part (which is by the way the solution Revell adopted for the more recent issues of this kit). I haven't seen it in person, so I can't comment on the level of detail, accuracy and easiness of assembly, but I saw a few potential "issues" that might be shared between the two kits.

Having said that, some of the trouble with this kit comes from fitting the Pavla resin set which, although good, it's not Aires quality or the likes.

This is my first Revell kit in ages, so I didn't really know what to expect from it: so far, it was all matter of ordinary fixes, much less than, say, my Italeri A-10A; and the price was extremely reasonable (same goes for the Pavla cockpit set, BTW). Definitely not a kit for a beginner. 

So far, I said. Let's see if it keeps going like this ... :frantic: :D 

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody, time for an update. Here's what I did during the week and today too:

dry fitting of the top part of the intakes

fuselage69

fuselage70

Some gaps, as you can see, but it also appears that the fuselage is too narrow of a good millimeter compared to the upper intake/splitter plate, so I had insert a spacer before gluing the parts

fuselage71

I glued the aft edges first, then once cured I had to use a clamp to have the fore edges level

fuselage72

and here's the result

fuselage73

fuselage74

Not sure how well you can see that, but the intake part isn't flush with the fuselage in the curved area, while it should be

fuselage75

fuselage76

so off came the milliput

fuselage77

fuselage78

and after some sanding and rescibing

fuselage79

fuselage80

I had to reinstate the intake top vents after sanding - what better occasion to bring out my brand new SM scalpel and blade? :)

I am now dry fitting the wing to fuselage assembly - a few issues there, but that will be for next update.

On a different matter, I went to my LMS last Tuesday and this remained stuck to my fingers, I couldn't really walk out without it ... :D 

picchiatello

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 11