Italian Typhoon - more shades of grey, anyone?

On 11/05/2019 at 12:16, stevehnz said:

She didn't do that for a wind up did she. ;) :D

She did mate LOL.

And here it is .

Typh 3

That gives you an idea of construction.

Typh 4

Typh 6

The kit went together well but numerous seam lines made it impossible to create he fine lines of this plane.

Also the cockpit detail was non existent, and the canopy was to say the least opaque.

The marking were lo viz to report, And the load out quite suspect...

Anyhow its finished in under a day for me.

Apologies to you @giemme, but @bbudde said about it.

Simon. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Anyhow its finished in under a day for me.

Congrats Simon and sorry Giorgio, you really can't compete with that one, no matter what you are trying to do. So, too many likes to Simon for that 3D cutaway model of a mean fighter. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alright, after Simon beat me to building a Typhoon, I'd better get going with this :D 

I started painting the cockpit: after a coat of Vallejo Grey Primer thinned with Future, I airbrushed Tamiya XF1 Flat Black on the fuselage sidewalls

cockpit1

and on the IP, tub, control stick and seat

cockpit2

I then airbrushed Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey mixed with a bit of Light Gull Grey for scale effect, again on the tub

cockpit3

cockpit6

and on the IP

cockpit5

while the seat received a dark grey dry brush, to pick up details and facilitate the still to come detail painting

cockpit4

Here's the tub after detail painting and a black tempera wash

cockpit7

cockpit8

cockpit9

Ignore the bottom of the tub, it's going to be almost completely hidden by the seat.

the same went for the IP - I tried to reproduce the screen glasses by brush painting Alclad Aqua Gloss on them

cockpit10

The macro effect makes it look quite messy, but it's not that bad in real life. The aircraft I'm modelling is supposed to be almost pristine, so I did try to emphasize some features of the cockpit, rather than doing a propre weathering. I hope it will look OK, once everything is in place and buttoned up inside the fuselage.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

Giorgio--really enjoyed catching up with this build--the forum's picture sharing coupled with your overlays to test the nose shape demonstrated powerful info sharing!  Really liked the comparison of the Pavala cockpit with the kits.  FWIW, it seems Revell/Monogram 1/72 fighter kits with tall tail halves molded as part of the fuselage half seem to have the warping problem.  I have about 6x 1/72 Revell F-105s in the stash and the tails all are warped (the Trumpeters Tails are not warped and the plastic is thicker on the tail than their Revell/Monogram cousins--but I still love the older Thud kit).  Understand some might push back since the Typhoon/F-105 models are completely different generations of kits (I believe the Revell 1/72 F-105 based off Monogram's 1/48 Thud making it a great 1980s vintage build)--still, the issue of tail warping from the same manufacturer is an interesting similarity--tracking the progression of this build with interest!  Best, Erwin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Giorgio--really enjoyed catching up with this build--the forum's picture sharing coupled with your overlays to test the nose shape demonstrated powerful info sharing!  Really liked the comparison of the Pavala cockpit with the kits.  FWIW, it seems Revell/Monogram 1/72 fighter kits with tall tail halves molded as part of the fuselage half seem to have the warping problem.  I have about 6x 1/72 Revell F-105s in the stash and the tails all are warped (the Trumpeters Tails are not warped and the plastic is thicker on the tail than their Revell/Monogram cousins--but I still love the older Thud kit).  Understand some might push back since the Typhoon/F-105 models are completely different generations of kits (I believe the Revell 1/72 F-105 based off Monogram's 1/48 Thud making it a great 1980s vintage build)--still, the issue of tail warping from the same manufacturer is an interesting similarity--tracking the progression of this build with interest!  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin 👍 The plastic in the fin area of this kit is indeed very thin; I'd be curious to see the new tool of this kit, in which the tail fin is moulded as a separate piece, to check if this addressed the problem.

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Off to a great start Giorgio, even it will be the second Typhoon completed in this thread.😁

:rofl: True, Simon was much quicker than me. Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

Sorry for the thread high jack Giemme with the Typhoon, just had to be done.

That office mate, it`s going to look good mate.

Up to your excellent standard.

For the IP screens, try silver under a clear blue/smoke mix.

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No problem Simon - and thanks for the praise, mate :thumbsup:

And thanks for the tip on the IP screens, I'll try that next time :thanks:

Ciao

• Like 3

I go off for a few days and you're already on page 4!

Caught up now and great start Giorgio :) 

I built one in the RAF BoB 75th Anniversary scheme some time ago (2016). Might be worth a quick look to see what problems I had?

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2019 at 00:06, The Spadgent said:

Nice looking office😍

bringing back fond memories of this one.

😀

Johnny

Thanks J :clap: I keep going back and forth to your build thread for reference :wink: 

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I go off for a few days and you're already on page 4!

Caught up now and great start Giorgio :) 

I built one in the RAF BoB 75th Anniversary scheme some time ago (2016). Might be worth a quick look to see what problems I had?

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: I was there for your build, but thank you for the heads up: I just went through your WIP and saw a couple of things I hadn't noticed during my dry fitting :thanks: 

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody; eventually managed some workbench time, so there it goes.

As it happens, I wasn't totally happy with the IP and tub, plus after checking again the reference shots for that area, there was some more detail painting needed:

cockpit11

cockpit12

In the IP, I also repainted with Italeri Flat Black the left screen, and gloss coated all of them with Tamiya Gloss Clear

cockpit13

I will attempt Simon's @Spookytooth tip about painting displays on the HUD projector, but that will be after joining the fuselage halves.

Net, I completed the remaining cockpit parts: control stick (not much to see, really)

cockpit14

and seat

cockpit15

I mostly used Lifecolor paints for this, and a black tempera wash and various grey shades of dry brushing to pick out details. And I did remember to put on those red stickers - thanks @CedB :winkgrin: 

cockpit16

cockpit17

cockpit18

Dry fit of the seat

cockpit19

Back now to the construction; there a re a few improvements I've been thinking of - one concerning the rudder: in most pictures of real Typhoons, it is seen displaced. So I cut it out from the spare fuselage halves, using a micro saw and a scriber

rudder1

and glued the two resulting halves with Tamiya Green Cap

rudder2

after one night curing and a tad of clean up

rudder3

I then removed the rudder bits from the "real" fuselage halves

rudder4

Both the tail fin and the rudder will be refined once I glue the fuselage.

Second improvement for the night is some rescribing: as @Creepy Pete pointed out at the very beginning of this thread, there are some panel lines missing around the cockpit area, and some others are wrong. So out came CA+flour, to fill in the wrong ones

rescribing1

They are on the canard bulge and right above the main intake, top left. Both sided, of course

rescribing2

After sanding and polishing, I checked the seams with a water slide marker

rescribing3 rescribing5

This really gets into any minimal seam and shows any blemishes. Then with the help of some Tamiya tape for curves and my INCIDOTM, it was time to scribe the missing panel lines

rescribing6

Once done, I ran some Tamiya Green Cap along the new lines to clean them up properly, followed by a black tempera wash

rescribing7

rescribing8

This is as close as I could get to the real thing without having to mess around the complex curved area near the intakes

There's a third improvement: the APU exhaust. On, the kit, it is presented just like a slightly recessed oval-ish shape; I decided to reproduce the actual exhaust using some PE leftover. So I first carved out the area in the spare fuselage

APU1

I went a bit overboard here - it is just as good that I can test stuff on a spare part! :phew:

I then cut a strip from a leftover PE fret, bent the round part around a suitable drill bit and cut to size. The join was then soldered, following Tony @TheBaron's advice: temperature setting on the mid-low range and lots of flux (liquid, in my case). After a first polish with a Dremel sanding disc

APU2

Test fit inside the oversize aperture

APU3

Next pic shows it on the correct fuselage, and after some refining with a Dremel burr to thin it down

APU4

It's going to need more refining and careful positioning, but I'm quite happy with it so far.

Comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 18

11 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Yep Giorgio, that seat looks the part as the cockpit does. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :thumbsup: I inadvertently pressed the Save button while in the middle of writing my last post, so there are lots more pics now :chair:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Lovely cockpit and some neat soldering on that exhaust Giorgio. 👏 👏

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded!

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh well, has to be done - thirded! :)

K

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Excellent progress, I like the APU 'xorst.

Steve.

Thank you Tony, Ced, Keith and Steve :thumbsup: However, I had a rethink about the APU exhaust: I'm going to try and fabricate another one slightly larger (without touching the fuselage plastic, that is fine as it is :wink: )

Ciao

• Like 3