Airfix 1/72 Vulcan - My Second V Bomber (XM575)

Oh joy. The Airfix Vulcan. The kit I've heard so much about the fit of....

Well here goes...

For this build, I'll not be rescribing it and will be using the kit intakes if they look good from a few metres away.

(I'm a good way into the build now, I just couldn't be bothered to post this up yet)

spacer.png

Tail part went together pretty well. Not too much filler compared to what I expected.

spacer.png

Already overtaken my desk. One of the intakes is glued together and the fin is as well. The fin fits together well.

spacer.png

. . . 

Well the bomb bay does not fit. Not even remotely. Braced it on the inside so it used some used decal paper to stop filler getting through.

spacer.png

From the outside

spacer.png

Now this is well..... Difficult. The fit isn't very good at all. Lots of filler here, but it just needs to look good from a distance. I'm not really bothered about up closer because I'll focus on that when Airfix eventually retools the Vulcan.

spacer.png

This will have to do.

I repeated this on the second intake.

At about this point I attached the lower wing parts to the lower fuselage and then the upper parts on top of that. I don't think I took any pictures at that stage, but the fit wasn't as bad as I expected.

spacer.png

And once again, it does not fit at all. Massive gaps, large steps between the wing and the intakes, I'm still working on the first one now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's how she looks now, although she's back on the shelf for a bit too make room for other projects.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Update time:

Not taken many pictures along the way, but she's looking even more like a Vulcan now. Had a bit of a problem with forgetting to add nose weight, but I carefully ripped off the back to put some in, the centre of gravity is a little far back but i think it should work. Everything is reattached now.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

I have been working on the Vulcan pretty slowly, and got another Vulcan at a model show that will need some repairs. I might clone some parts from this kit for it.... (If anyone has spares from Vulcans, if really appreciate if I could buy the parts I need)

I really wish Airfix would just release a new one...........

spacer.png

I primed the canopy black because the white primer I have really likes to get under masking tape. The rest was primed white, but I plan on painting her up in wrap around camo as XM575 because I really don't want to face the masking job in intakes..... Additionally, I really like having models painted up in unusual schemes, and I think most Airfix Vulcans in wrap around will be XH558 in her one off scheme, and I imagine even more will be half camo or anti-flash white.

spacer.png

And now the tedious task of preshading all of the panel lines... I used Vallejo RLM66 to preshade as it's just something I have lying around that I don't use very often and black often ends up being too heavy.

spacer.png

Another shot of the preshading

spacer.png

And another, seriously who decided to put that many panel lines on a Vulcan?! 

spacer.png

And that's where I'm up to now. Yeah, I know it's messy, but it's pre shading on a model with a dark colour scheme.

• Like 4

she's a bit of a filler queen (not so sure about the gunpowder and gelatin tho)

it has potental.  when i built one i had no idea about filler and clamps, so one of the wings is at least 5mm out..............  lets just say may toleraces have become much tighter since

Update time... Again! 

She has been spayed with Vallejo 71.013 Yellow Olive for a few coats. This was while I was painting

8fb7de7d7cb84c88155e56ac73cffa24.jpg

cf032091c3594403fe4e983803796e09.jpg

Here she is from below, both ECM plates are on this aircraft.

cf032091c3594403fe4e983803796e09.jpg

And so the tedious task of masking a Vulcan with long worms of blu tac began... The plan is to do the outlines in blu tac, but fill the middle with a combination of tape and tin foil.

I've already lost my mind... In the corner there are the part still on the sprue from my Bf109 triple build which is ongoing. I have an update for that one later if I get around to it.

71613f680119aa80084cbd2e2794acb2.jpg

And here's a nice close up of the effectiveness of the preshading. I think will do the preshading again in black over the parts which will be grey once everything is masked off.  No, that isn't a perfectly filled gap along the wing, but it's good enough for me. It looks good from 3 feet away, and that is what matters. I'll save the better filling and attempting to rescribe the pannel lines for my insane idea of converting up a Vulcan B1a........

8355a504ba3bcc014a03c8559808888d.jpg

• Like 2

Update time again:

Masking complete! That was a tedious process... Instead of going with my original plan of doing it in sections, I decided to deviate from this, doing it all at once to avoid accidentally overspraying onto unmasked areas. I had to buy more blu tac to mask it all 😛

spacer.png

And the underside. The intakes were a pain to mask... Anyone got advice for them for later builds, especially as I plan on doing a half camo one in the future, which have white intakes for some reason....

spacer.png

I decided to preshade again for the grey. I used black followed by white grey.

spacer.png

And the underside

spacer.png

• Like 4

Update time again:

Masking is removed and she looks brilliant! She's not got invisible landing gear, she just on top of some masking tape. The grey used is Vallejo 71.048 Dark Sea Grey.

spacer.png

And the underside. A few places where it needs cleaning up, but overall the masking was a success.

spacer.png

Next up are the bare wheel wells (I didn't feel aftermarket parts are necessary seeing as they won't be seen much), then the other colours like the black on the top of the tail, and then decals.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 7

That looks superb Adam! Your masking has worked out perfectly; not used foil before, I always cut up shopping bags to mask between the blu-tac worms but I might try foil next time.

• Like 1

It was my first time using foil. Just tear the rough shape and fold the edges, press it down and seal any gaps with tape. It was really easy to do, and mistakes were easy to correct. 

Didn't have time to do that update, I'm really busy. I will try to get it up later today.

Edited by Adam Poultney

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 00:50, Adam Poultney said:

Update coming late tonight. Busy with exam prep - I have two tomorrow

How did the maths paper 3 go today? I found it alright I must say.

Great work with the Vulcan, its certainly looking good so far.

harry

11 minutes ago, Harrywilliams said:

How did the maths paper 3 go today? I found it alright I must say.

Great work with the Vulcan, its certainly looking good so far.

harry

Paper 3 was good. I've still got two maths papers as I'm doing further maths... 

I'm totally wiped out by history though which sucks for because I want to do some decals on the Vulcan but also just want to lie in bed and sleep.....

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

Paper 3 was good. I've still got two maths papers as I'm doing further maths... 

I'm totally wiped out by history though which sucks for because I want to do some decals on the Vulcan but also just want to lie in bed and sleep.....

I found that History paper today to be exhausting, could have been worse though, the paper could have been on the role of women in Nazi germany…..

The decals for the Vulcan are very good, built one several years ago and plan on another once I've settled in Duxford.

Just now, Harrywilliams said:

I found that History paper today to be exhausting, could have been worse though, the paper could have been on the role of women in Nazi germany…..

The decals for the Vulcan are very good, built one several years ago and plan on another once I've settled in Duxford.

The America section was nice, and so was the Nazi Germany section. I went through the American civil war with one of the other history teachers yesterday (he's got a master's degree in the history of the civil war or something) and he was going on about how slavery was the main cause, and what was on the paper? Exactly that.... I'm beginning to think he writes them or something since the history department did the same thing with people's health!

I've got after market decals for the Vulcan as I wanted to do one with 301s since aftermarket 201s are just another cost towards the project that I can avoid. 558 has 201s so no kit decals on my kit

12 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

The America section was nice, and so was the Nazi Germany section. I went through the American civil war with one of the other history teachers yesterday (he's got a master's degree in the history of the civil war or something) and he was going on about how slavery was the main cause, and what was on the paper? Exactly that.... I'm beginning to think he writes them or something since the history department did the same thing with people's health!

I've got after market decals for the Vulcan as I wanted to do one with 301s since aftermarket 201s are just another cost towards the project that I can avoid. 558 has 201s so no kit decals on my kit

We did Elizabethan England fortunately, teachers where very helpful with that one (didn’t teach us the content) I’m planning on making XJ824 at duxford 

The Elizabethan section was awful.... Really wish we didn't have to do it.

I think XJ824 was one of the ones that I was considering building but I'm not sure (does it even have 301s?).